Comprehensive YouTube Video Series

Slydog486

Over the past few months I've noticed that DCS has stepped out of the shadows, and opened itself up to new players a bit more. I've noticed that the Steam version has been getting a constant, steady stream of updates at the same rate as the standalone version. I've noticed YouTubers taking an interest in it, and most of all, I've noticed the community is starting to grow. A lot. But the time has come, I believe, to stop thinking of DCS as a small sim that we play on the weekends that no one else knows about. It's time for the community as a whole to step up its game. I propose a new breed of DCS, a new way of making DCS more accessible to the average person- I propose a comprehensive video tutorial series on the A-10. I've never seen someone do this before, and after hours of searching, could not find a video series that covers even close to everything about the A-10. Therefore, I believe it is time for us, as a community, to work together to bring this idea out of our heads, and turn it into a rich tutorial series that will expand across the entire A-10.

Now, this is the part where you pick your jaw up off the table (I know, I know, you're all thinking I'm crazy for trying to do this) and get a bit more serious, because though I'm willing to do this, I'll need help. A lot of help. 4 people. Okay, maybe that's not a whole lot of help but still, it's a significant amount of help. Moving on. I have 5 positions I need filled in order to do this:

1) Coming up with, for lack of a better term, "lesson plans" (I will be handling this area)

2) Voice Actor (this is the only position where I'd like to audition, or at least hear what the voice sounds like. Since this is going to be quite a bit of work, I'd like to do it the best I can, so I'd definitely like a decent voice actor. No offense.)

3) Video Editor

4) Gameplay Recorder (we're going to need a lot of gameplay to go off of here. Examples of things happening, systems starting up, the A-10 employing a weapon or two, etc. THIS MEANS THAT YOU ACTUALLY KNOW A LOT ABOUT THE A-10. This is the only position where I will require you to have a significant knowledge base for. I'm looking for people who, when I say "let's do a JTAC" video, say "Awesome, I'll go record stuff", not "Yeah... What's JTAC again?")

5) Social Media Manager (This will probably be the easiest. You'll manage the YouTube channel, respond to comments, tweet our progress, as well as post it on the forums. Not too much, about 15 minutes every time we upload a video. To put that in perspective, I'd like to roll out a new video every 4 days.)

I'm aware that this is a lot of work, and that we'll all need to pitch in to make this happen, but I think that if we all take just a minute and think about it, it will help so much. Imagine that, when a newer A-10 player comes on the forums and asks how to do this or that with a GBU, instead of having to explain it, you just link him to an easy to find, easy to understand but very detailed video series that will explain everything he wants to know. How great would that be? No more massive posts with giant explanations that can get pretty darn hard to follow. Just one link, nothing more.

I should mention, that I'm not looking for the weekend warrior on this. You must be dedicated and willing to put in some real effort for this. I'm not a very hard person to work with, but I do request a professional attitude and a decent amount of effort from each person who volunteers. Just to mention, by the way, I'm not just here for one of the above positions! If 3 people apply for the same thing, I'll rotate them in and out so everyone gets a chance, though I will limit the number of people per position to a reasonable amount. Probably somewhere along the lines of 4 to 5 per position.

Thanks to Everyone for Helping to Make This Happen,

Slydog486, Veteran DCS Noob

Applications will be accepted through the email for this,DCSVideoTutorials@gmail.com. If you're applying for the voice actor position, please include a sample of your voice as an attachment. Nothing specific. Pick your favorite movie quote if you're having a hard time thinking of something to say.

PC: MSI Z170A M7, i7-6700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3466, (x2) Asus GTX 1070 8GB STRIX [2-way SLI], (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, (x2) WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7,200 RPM, EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W, Windows 10 Home, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass.

Periph: Razer - Black Widow Chroma, Kraken 7.1 Chroma, Seiren, Naga Hex; Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek Pro-Flight Rudder Pedals, (x2) 22" 1920x1080, Bose Companion 5.

Sounds like a great idea! Perhaps focus on the areas of the A-10 that haven't had the same amount of coverage on YouTube then move on to the more popular stuff. When I started learning, I found a lot of videos for the A-10 start-up but not so many in depth tutorials on the TAD for example.

Good Luck! :thumbup::thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]PC Specs

i7-4790k

GTX 970

MSI Z97 Gaming 5

24 GB RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 240GB SSD

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]Equipment

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

CH Pro Pedals

3D Printed TrackIR[/TABLE]

Bunyap Sims

Though this is a nice list, it is nothing even close to what I have planned. This will more or less be a video version of the entire manual. Every switch, every CDU and MFCD function, every weapon, how it works, how it handles, how it drops from the rail, why it drops like that, how to change how it drops... Are you seeing it now? It will be hundreds of videos long. It will cover every single possible thing you could ever hope or want to perform or complete using the A-10C. Bunyap simply hasn't done this.

[TBS] [TFP] Slydog486, Veteran DCS Noob

Sent from OnePlus Two.

PC: MSI Z170A M7, i7-6700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3466, (x2) Asus GTX 1070 8GB STRIX [2-way SLI], (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, (x2) WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7,200 RPM, EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W, Windows 10 Home, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass.

Periph: Razer - Black Widow Chroma, Kraken 7.1 Chroma, Seiren, Naga Hex; Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek Pro-Flight Rudder Pedals, (x2) 22" 1920x1080, Bose Companion 5.

This will more or less be a video version of the entire manual.

A secondary thought;

Perhaps aim to get the whole series to last more or less the same amount of time it would take to actually read the manual? Not sure how viable this without making the videos impossible to follow.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]PC Specs

i7-4790k

GTX 970

MSI Z97 Gaming 5

24 GB RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 240GB SSD

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]Equipment

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

CH Pro Pedals

3D Printed TrackIR[/TABLE]

I'm going for content amount and detail, not time spent. Might take longer, might not. The whole point is to make sure that people don't have to sit through the most factual book ever written just to learn something they'll probably use on the weekends and a few hours during the week. I think the manual sometimes scares people and pushes them away, and the video series could really help squash that fear and bring people towards the A-10, rather than push them away from it.

Sent from OnePlus Two.

Does not even come close? Ignorant statement when you have not even watched his video's.

When did I say I hadn't watched his videos? I in no way intended to put his videos down, I simply stated that the content quantity simply cannot keep up with the amount I intend to put out. Nothing more. Nothing less. And as an FYI, I have seen them.

Sent from OnePlus Two.

I do like the idea. Because I´m pretty new to DCS, I watched a lot of the YouTube tutorials. But I must say, that most of them are hard to view because the view goes up and down , left and right and back again and zoom in and zoom out rapidly. This is not easy to follow the instructions. And PLEASE, don`t talk to much about secondary points of interest to much. If I want to learn how to use the gun, I´m not interested in how far a Maverick can fly. Please concentrat on what was and is the focus of the lesson.

Your students will be thankfull for that.

I´m looking forward to learn a lot more about the A-10. Count me in !

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

I do like the idea. Because I´m pretty new to DCS, I watched a lot of the YouTube tutorials. But I must say, that most of them are hard to view because the view goes up and down , left and right and back again and zoom in and zoom out rapidly. This is not easy to follow the instructions. And PLEASE, don`t talk to much about secondary points of interest to much. If I want to learn how to use the gun, I´m not interested in how far a Maverick can fly. Please concentrat on what was and is the focus of the lesson.

Your students will be thankfull for that.

I´m looking forward to learn a lot more about the A-10. Count me in !

Thanks for the great ideas! I'll keep the sidetrack idea in mind for when I'm planning and try to keep it to one idea at a time. I'll also pass your bobblehead point to our gameplay recorder and ask him to be mindful of his TrackIR usage assuming he uses it.

Sent from OnePlus Two.

TLDR but based on the title, Bunyap.

This is designed to be significantly more complex and thorough than Bunyap.

Sent from OnePlus Two.

If you have watched his video's you would have learned that Bunyap works on the A-10C's for a living. To say you can do a more complex and thorough job is a joke since two weeks ago you were on the forums asking how to set markpoints.

I was not asking how to set mark points. Next time, learn the facts before attacking someone, because you will lose the argument otherwise. First, I was asking how to turn a SPI into a waypoint. A complex procedure. Second, just because he CAN do in depth tutorials doesn't mean he does. Once again, you have assumed that I am saying my videos are better. This is an incorrect statement. I stated that I will be releasing more thorough tutorials for newer players. He's great at tutorials, but the fact of the matter is that if I were to point to a page in the manual over and over again, eventually I'd find a subject that he hasn't covered. I aim to create a tutorial series that fixes that. It will cover the whole manual. Now, if you have more points to this discussion you'd like to be shot down because you can't come up with something that's true, then please send them to the email above rather than clog up this thread with more hate. I'm donating my time to help you and your peers learn more about the A-10, and you're saying that everything I'll do has already been done, and you're also filling my post with hate that simply isn't true.

Sent from OnePlus Two.

Having spent the better part of 2 months watching videos on You Tube, reading the manuals and piecing together a ton of notes I feel I have more than enough reference material. If I may add my Cadet input.

What I need are more well crafted training missions that go directly to the topic in question. Trying to practice with the Quick Start or heading directly into a major campaign are limited or just Fly & Die and restart...!!! Which is time consuming at best... I did find the cheat for "Get New Plane" that does save some time when I get blasted or crash and burn...

I have been working thru the "BFT Campaign" which is excellent but.... having to restart from the beginning when making a mistake half way thru or right at the end is frustrating and time consuming.

As a new user, having a SHORT, easy to restart practice session is more needed than more videos.

Although I do agree that we need well crafted, experienced videos, devoid of useless comments, too much head movement and SHORT AND TO THE TOPIC. I have seen many excellent videos many from the 476th and others. What I would like to help create is a set of missions that progress thru along with the video topic.

Example:

In cockpit start aircraft... practice as many times as needed, successful completion move to

In cockpit with aircraft already STARTED, begin "Follow me" TAXI practice 3 -5 min's tops ... successful completion move to

At end of TAXI way heading to shutdown, again 3 - 5 mins tops

THEN.... a mission that links all three together, once user is comfortable with each individual segment. I hated having to go thru the whole startup & taxi thing just to get to practice the shutdown and then fail because I forgot to shut off the PITOT heat switch... It is important to have all procedures correct but having the shutdown separate from the rest (for practice) would really have been nice. I was in VF143 as a flight deck TS in Nam and they NEVER shut off everything they should have. Just made sure all was correct before startup...

In any case and to whatever competence level the user wants to achieve this concept is applicable to every video I've seen... Good and Bad... See video (short topic), have specific mission available to do practice till comfortable with subject. (without worry of getting shot down every 5 mins..trying to practice in a real mission or campaign.

Example, 476th vFG - IQT - 02 - Instrument Departure and ILS Approach, excellent JOB...!!!

BUTTTT.....

So how do I EASILY get my plane to VAZIANI ??? this is my biggest wish...!

Then how can I PRACTICE JUST the departure SEGMENT, in good weather, so I get the feel of what is going on?

Then graduate to a ILS departure when I'm comfortable with this segment.

Next, IN AIR on INbound to pick up TBLISI on 25X and practice DME ARC segment without having to go thru the whole departure thing just to practice the INBOUND segment, again in good weather then ILS.

This type of SEGMENTED training practice, with SAME setup as example video would go a VERY long way to minimizing the frustration I see in many forum posts.

Weapon CCIP delivery was another great video from 476th I'd like to have a short practice mission that puts me in the Air on the way to the target, I select the weapon, set up the run in and drop... restart back at beginning and do it again.

I'D BE HAPPY TO BETA TEST ANY SUCH MISSIONS any of you propeller heads come up with and provide POSITIVE FEEDBACK for improvement.

Many thanks to all who have taken such incredible time to create an amazing sim, the extensive amount of videos, and the add-on's available.

Having spent the better part of 2 months watching videos on You Tube, reading the manuals and piecing together a ton of notes I feel I have more than enough reference material. If I may add my Cadet input.

What I need are more well crafted training missions that go directly to the topic in question. Trying to practice with the Quick Start or heading directly into a major campaign are limited or just Fly & Die and restart...!!! Which is time consuming at best... I did find the cheat for "Get New Plane" that does save some time when I get blasted or crash and burn...

I have been working thru the "BFT Campaign" which is excellent but.... having to restart from the beginning when making a mistake half way thru or right at the end is frustrating and time consuming.

As a new user, having a SHORT, easy to restart practice session is more needed than more videos.

Although I do agree that we need well crafted, experienced videos, devoid of useless comments, too much head movement and SHORT AND TO THE TOPIC. I have seen many excellent videos many from the 476th and others. What I would like to help create is a set of missions that progress thru along with the video topic.

Example:

In cockpit start aircraft... practice as many times as needed, successful completion move to

In cockpit with aircraft already STARTED, begin "Follow me" TAXI practice 3 -5 min's tops ... successful completion move to

At end of TAXI way heading to shutdown, again 3 - 5 mins tops

THEN.... a mission that links all three together, once user is comfortable with each individual segment. I hated having to go thru the whole startup & taxi thing just to get to practice the shutdown and then fail because I forgot to shut off the PITOT heat switch... It is important to have all procedures correct but having the shutdown separate from the rest (for practice) would really have been nice. I was in VF143 as a flight deck TS in Nam and they NEVER shut off everything they should have. Just made sure all was correct before startup...

In any case and to whatever competence level the user wants to achieve this concept is applicable to every video I've seen... Good and Bad... See video (short topic), have specific mission available to do practice till comfortable with subject. (without worry of getting shot down every 5 mins..trying to practice in a real mission or campaign.

Example, 476th vFG - IQT - 02 - Instrument Departure and ILS Approach, excellent JOB...!!!

BUTTTT.....

So how do I EASILY get my plane to VAZIANI ??? this is my biggest wish...!

Then how can I PRACTICE JUST the departure SEGMENT, in good weather, so I get the feel of what is going on?

Then graduate to a ILS departure when I'm comfortable with this segment.

Next, IN AIR on INbound to pick up TBLISI on 25X and practice DME ARC segment without having to go thru the whole departure thing just to practice the INBOUND segment, again in good weather then ILS.

This type of SEGMENTED training practice, with SAME setup as example video would go a VERY long way to minimizing the frustration I see in many forum posts.

Weapon CCIP delivery was another great video from 476th I'd like to have a short practice mission that puts me in the Air on the way to the target, I select the weapon, set up the run in and drop... restart back at beginning and do it again.

I'D BE HAPPY TO BETA TEST ANY SUCH MISSIONS any of you propeller heads come up with and provide POSITIVE FEEDBACK for improvement.

Many thanks to all who have taken such incredible time to create an amazing sim, the extensive amount of videos, and the add-on's available.

Wow! Thanks so much for the reply! This is seriously being considered. If enough people have this view, I will move the topic from making videos to making training missions.

Sent from OnePlus Two.

Rickberry,

It's a small community - and there are many many good people out here that put a lot of effort into creating player resources.

Sadly, it's a small community - not everything gets covered or built

My advice would be to familiarize yourself with the mission editor.

You have very clear ideas - and to my mind, very good and systemic ideas - of what you want to practice, and how you want to train.

I think it unlikely that you'll find such missions; I don't think it's that hard for your to build such missions.

May I suggest that you look into that possibility? In the end, you'd have something that suits you exactly (as you built it), and you might even publish those same missions in User Files - you might not have someone to provide those kind of missions to you, but you might be able to provide them to the next trainee.

If you have watched his video's you would have learned that Bunyap works on the A-10C's for a living. To say you can do a more complex and thorough job is a joke since two weeks ago you were on the forums asking how to set markpoints.

Crikey, give the guy a break. And since when does being a crew chief equate to being an expert A10 pilot? Expert maintenance expertise, of course. Flying knowledge? That's a different topic altogether.

I like and love Bunyap's video's as much as the next guy, and appreciate the time and effort they put into it. But I don't understand why folks are jumping all over the OP.

Are there video's on A10? Of course. Bunyap, Gerry Abbott, just to name a few. But are they all organized? Are there short and sweet videos that grow ones skillset incrementally? Not so sure about that. You have to go hunting for it.

What is so wrong with someone wanting to contribute DCS content? I just don't understand why people think he's offending anyone.

And one last point. Sometimes, a new fresh set of eyes is needed. Most experts w/o knowing it can jump over crucial steps because it's second nature.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thank you for your suggestions...

I would love to learn to create missions or what ever they are called....but.... I have all I can do now to learn to fly this thing... as a former Navy Fighter Squadron Elect Tech, I have a new appreciation for what the real Pilots must go thru for training... Add to that landing on a Carrier...!!

My point is that the previous writer wanted to create quality video tutorials, but I have found more than enough very good ones (and some not so good) to get me started learning. What I was trying to say is that, I feel, new users like me need the SAME environment (in a quick simple single mission) to load and repeatedly practice with.

My ideas for practice Missions (not necessarily videos) would simply help the process and bring more users into the community. This is an awesome simulator, but as such I think many new users get frustrated with the complexity (as evident in the postings). If anyone wants to help grow the community I think we need NOT (remove the complexity) but make it easier to LEARN the collective individual skills needed to perhaps join a multiplayer game and not be the first one shot down...

If you advanced users know of sources for downloading practice missions like the ones I've seen in some excellent videos from the 476th that would be outstanding. I'd even pay a few bucks for some that I've seen. But please keep the quality of the sim in mind always...

Please keep in touch... I need all the help I can get... memory at age 67 is limited

Rickyberry49,

Check out this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2774711&postcount=1

I believe you already have the other downloadable training qualification missions.

And there's documentation help: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2755626&postcount=1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'd love to learn to make missions but... at age 67 memory is dedicated to learning to fly this thing... but count me in if you need beta testers for feedback.

As a CAD/CAM consultant for 30 yrs I know what works for training new users.

Your idea of quality videos is right on... I've seen many excellent ones (as I mentioned from the 476th) and like you I have gone nuts trying to figure out what some others were doing or having to watch endless null time.

But, what I haven't been able to do is find the mission environments where I can jump into a quick mission environment that lets me focus on a well planned series of skills that can be QUICKLY restarted and repeated until the student is comfortable with that specific task.

Being able to watch a SHORT to the point video then quickly practice the skill (including flight control) is what I think would bring more users into the sim...

If these missions are out there (like the BFT Mission I got as part of the DCS World A10 package) I'd love to know where they are. I have seen other postings for guys creating "Formation Flying" missions and the like, these are great for experienced users.

BUT.... if you want to attract NEW USERS, you gotta make this thing a bit easier (and much less time consuming to learn).

I have some suggestions for the guys who wrote the BFT missions as well...if they want to contact me. Even the training that comes with the package is great, but even that could be made easier to get into from a new user perspective.

I'd also be willing to pay a few bucks for a video/mission package. I don't know how many new users we have out there but world wide if you got $5 a pop for a good package from a 1000 new users worldwide??? I think it would be worth the effort.

I have the download manual.... an incredible amount of awesome work...!!!! I'll be reading this for some time.... but.....

As I work thru the manual I can't wait for the supplemental missions. Are you with the 467th ? These guys have done some amazing work, I'd love to get to this skill level someday...

Please keep in mind these schools of players when creating manuals, or missions...

1 Newbees - Focused, with the environment (airports, landscape, etc) designed to focus on the specific topic and skill to be practiced (takeoff, ILS, Bomb runs etc). Each and every skill is critical to the overall learning process, but I don't want to spend 15 min's starting the thing and then taxi for another 3 mins just to get to the end of the runway so I can repeat a proper takeoff and climb out. (for example). If proper takeoff skill is the lesson then put me at the end of the runway ready for throttle up. Shame on me if I didn't get skilled in startup and taxi before this step. Remember here we give baby steps

2 Basic Skilled - Now we can string together a SHORT, focused mission that involves a couple of the previously learned skills. Again, I don't want to fly for 10 mins to get to the target so I can practice a CCIP bomb drop, or JDAM or Mav attack only to get shot down as soon as I get there cuz I wasn't ready for all the AAA or SAMS in the mission.

3 Advanced - All you guys that make it look easy on the videos.... These missions are in the package now, many are pretty cool but, not where I want to be learning. One mission MZ.miz I just duck and turn away from the SU's as fast as I can. Forget trying to use A:A at the start this is NOT a learning mission.

I'd like to see the package missions categorized perhaps with the above in mind, it would make it easier (again that is what we want to do to attract more users) for newbees to pick missions to run.

Agreed. I'm currently busy testing Vive and Rift (arrives tomorrow) and making physical switch/rotary boxes. So I only know the basics of A10 because I'm waiting build the CDU and few other switch boxes. I know that seems backwards, but I love putzing around the A10 and strafing, maverick'ing (is that even a word?) and dodging SAMs with the VR goggles on.

After I complete building my switch box, I'll complete my training.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---