question about russian radars modding

vanir

I was wondering if I should add the line

multiple_targets_tracking = true,

in the N-019M entry of the db_sensors.lua with notepad?

What I don't understand is the AN/APG-63 can engage two targets can't it? But it doesn't have this entry.

But what I also don't understand is why the topaz is no different from the N-019 sapphire when distinct improvements to deal with processor overload were made. This improved target discrimination giving about 14% range increase on detection/track (noticeable in particular in lookdown/shootdown) and allowing a second engagement, keeping the first if using R77, with an improvement in ECCM.

There is also the issue of gimbals, I noticed some other sets have no problem with a 60-70 azimuth and 50 elevation, yet the N-019/M have 30 and 40 respectively. According to the MiG-29 manual the N-019 has a +/- 60 azimuth and +56/-36 elevation. Could someone explain the disparity?

I never play online as my connection can't support online gaming. Considering it's an "offline only installation" is providing some subtle definition between the two sets relatively sound in this fashion?

I was wondering if I should add the line

..in the N-019M entry of the db_sensors.lua with notepad?

What I don't understand is the AN/APG-63 can engage two targets can't it? But it doesn't have this entry.

But what I also don't understand is why the topaz is no different from the N-019 sapphire when distinct improvements to deal with processor overload were made. This improved target discrimination giving about 14% range increase on detection/track (noticeable in particular in lookdown/shootdown) and allowing a second engagement, keeping the first if using R77, with an improvement in ECCM.

There is also the issue of gimbals, I noticed some other sets have no problem with a 60-70 azimuth and 50 elevation, yet the N-019/M have 30 and 40 respectively. According to the MiG-29 manual the N-019 has a +/- 60 azimuth and +56/-36 elevation. Could someone explain the disparity?

I never play online as my connection can't support online gaming. Considering it's an "offline only installation" is providing some subtle definition between the two sets relatively sound in this fashion?

I have also been wondering about some of these radar entries in the sensors.lua as well, but it isn't always immedeatly clear what they are meant to signify and what function in the code(if any) they refer to.

Besides, I doubt they have any effect on player controlled aircraft.

JJ

I considered the idea entries must serve to orientate in game performance rather than technical specifications listings, the two aren't necessarily related obviously in the complex evolutionary diversity category of individual figures.

You're right they may have nothing to do with player controlled aircraft. I'm just trying to get a feel for a subtle but slightly noticeable signal processing and target discrimination improvement that came with the Topaz over the Sapfir-29 and of course there should be a two target engagement when using R77

I tested radars and from my observations it has no any impact on player control aircraft. I added bigger range, A-G capability ect... nothing worked... Anyway to work it must have been modelled first I think... AI can use everything, player plane must be modelled to use it.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I considered the idea entries must serve to orientate in game performance rather than technical specifications listings, the two aren't necessarily related obviously in the complex evolutionary diversity category of individual figures.

I am afraid you lost me somewhere in that last line :D .

You're right they may have nothing to do with player controlled aircraft. I'm just trying to get a feel for a subtle but slightly noticeable signal processing and target discrimination improvement that came with the Topaz over the Sapfir-29 and of course there should be a two target engagement when using R77

Yes but if the entries in sensors.lua have no impact on player control, it will be quite difficult to determine the effect of altered values - especially very subtle changes like you suggest.

I am also a little sceptical about the extend to which the game actually uses the sensors.lua. I modded the MiG-29K into the game, assigned ordinance capabilities(including radar guided armament) and tested whether the AI controlled aircraft could deploy them - worked fine.

Now if you look in the MiG-29K.lua file, you can see that under "radar" it is assigned an entry called "N010 Zhuk-ME", but then if you look in the sensors.lua there is no such entry at all.

Just for the fun of it, I added the entry(pretty much copy/pasting the APG-73 entry since it should be very similar) using the name specified in the MiG-29K.lua - I haven't had time to test whether it actually makes any difference, but at least the game didn't crash :) .

• Like 1

JJ

I looked up the N010 Zhuk the MiG is supposed to use and got the range values in upper/lower hemisphere for head on and tail on contacts, essentially to emulate it I wound up copy-pasting the N011 Zhuk from the Su30/34 it is based on and reduced the ground contacts ranges to compensate for the smaller antennae.

The Zhuk was being developed to replace the older analogue sets with fully digitalised multimodes commonly for both Su-27 and MiG-29 derivatives, so it makes sense they're pretty much the same thing with only minor differences in wattage (possibly) and antennae.

Anyway the listings for the Sukhoi N011 in sensors.lua is pretty much identical to the manufacturer claims about the N010 for the MiG.

Ah - a few problems there Vanir ;) .

I looked up the N010 Zhuk the MiG is supposed to use and got the range values in upper/lower hemisphere for head on and tail on contacts, essentially to emulate it I wound up copy-pasting the N011 Zhuk from the Su30/34 it is based on and reduced the ground contacts ranges to compensate for the smaller antennae.

First, the N011 is not a "Zhuk" - Zhuk is a line of slotted array radars devoloped by NIIR, while the N011 is a similar, yet different, set developed by NIIP.

Secondly, the one outlined in the sensors.lua is not the N011, but a derrivative called N011M "Bars" - the difference being that the N011M has a phased array antenna mounted on the mechanical drive, which makes any attempt to "clone" its characteristics for a smaller slotted array set futile.....e.g. the N011M combines mechanical(physical movement of antenna) with electronic scanning resulting in a huge scan area far exeeding that of the slotted array(some +/- 85 deg in azimuth) or fixed phased array(60 deg in all directions) Zhuk versions.

Third, the Su-34 does not have the N011 or N011M, but a completely different design(with a fixed phased array antenna) by a company called Leninets(IIRC).

If you want to find an existing Russian entry in the sensors.lua for emulating the N010 Zhuk, then your best bet would be the Kopyo. Kopyo is another line of radars designed by NIIR and are kind of "mini-Zhuks" designed for smaller aircraft for which the Zhuk line is too big - e.g. for upgrading aircraft like the MiG-21 and MiG-23, just as there is a podded version for the Su-25(Su-25TM aka Su-39). However, the problem is that the Kopyos have smaller antennas(some 500 mm IIRC), which in turn means that you still need to "translate" those odd figures in the sensors.lua to get Zhuk performance - thats why I used the APG-73 instead.....because it has the same antenna type(slotted array) and as far as I recall the exact same antenna size(some 624 mm) and therefore should have similar performance(given similar emitter output - I don't know if they have)

The Zhuk was being developed to replace the older analogue sets with fully digitalised multimodes commonly for both Su-27 and MiG-29 derivatives, so it makes sense they're pretty much the same thing with only minor differences in wattage (possibly) and antennae.

Thats true Vanir, but as mentioned above, the Zhuk version for Su-27 class aircraft is not the N011 and certainly not the N011M :) . The Su-27 version of the Zhuk is(was) called Zhuk-27 - it does have a larger antenna(960 mm versus 624 for the MiG-29 variant), but retains the emitter power.

Moreover, you need to be careful with the specs for Zhuks - because there is the original Zhuk line and the new upgraded Zhuk-M line....the latter has different performance in part due to an increase in emitter output(1,5 Kw average, 6Kw peak versus 1 Kw average, 5Kw peak of the old).

Anyway the listings for the Sukhoi N011 in sensors.lua is pretty much identical to the manufacturer claims about the N010 for the MiG.

.....and thats what baffles me about those figures and what they mean - they should be completely different :) .

Edited by Alfa

JJ