** DCS: F-14 Development Update - September!! **

Cobra847

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will buy the F-14 on day one but to be absolutely honest i'm more excited about the A-6, even if it's only AI for now.

@Cobra, you don't have by coincidence a nice 3440x1440 "Screenshot/Wallpaper" of this beauty? :D

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

The words release date and Oct 7th were never mentioned together, doubtful Oct. 7th the F-14 will be released, hope I'm wrong.

You're not wrong. A "reveal" is promised for Oct 7th. Nothing else. Though why developers and publishers ever hold announcements for announcements I will never understand. It's just needless hype, and leads to confusions of this type.

If I had to hazzard a guess I think it will probably be a video of our favorite bird losing it's chromecat skin, and placeholder textures.

My most optimistic hope is that on that date they announce an early-access launch date, and maybe even open up pre-orders on ED's DCS page. (Or the other way around, with the precedent set by the Hornet of allowing pre-orders with no set release date.)

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

You're not wrong. A "reveal" is promised for Oct 7th. Nothing else. Though why developers and publishers ever hold announcements for announcements I will never understand. It's just needless hype, and leads to confusions of this type.

What do you expect them to do? Just have the stream and nobody is going to know about it?

It seems probable it's to show us something close to the final product and open up pre-purchase.

Still no release date? Hopefully 07 OCT we finally get a date ehhh?

I hope that on October 7th we will get more than just a date :D :joystick:

It seems probable it's to show us something close to the final product and open up pre-purchase.

Sounds more realistic tbh

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

It really looks like an amazing module, congratulations.

Is my graphics card going to be able to handle this plane?).

I wonder the same (read my signature and you’ll understand why). Is it goong to need higher requirements than the other modules?

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

What do you expect them to do? Just have the stream and nobody is going to know about it?

This is exactly what Im talking about. Who said anything about there being a stream?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Not going to lie, a small tear did run down my cheek. This is not just a iconic plane for me, it's a memory of a happy time, i can not wait to fly it with my departed father watching me looking down with a big smile on his face.

No he/i have never served in the military in any role, it represents a special time in my life when i was a young kid that is personal to myself and my father and to be able to complete that dream (Even a pretend one in a digital world) means a lot to me.

Thank you Heatblur for creating this possibility.

Kind regards from a young (old) kid with his head in the clouds.

In case of the Viggen it was quite similar. Announced the announcement and two weeks later the EA was available. So 14 days after the 7th of October is 21st of October - might be the EA release day.

I like the way you think! Hopefully that is the standard release schedule for Heatblur and will be how the Tomcat goes as well!

I wonder the same (read my signature and you’ll understand why). Is it goong to need higher requirements than the other modules?

What we have seen of the Tomcat so far does look incredibly detailed but why would it's system requirements be any more than what the Hornet requires?

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Not going to lie, a small tear did run down my cheek. This is not just a iconic plane for me, it's a memory of a happy time, i can not wait to fly it with my departed father watching me looking down with a big smile on his face.

No he/i have never served in the military in any role, it represents a special time in my life when i was a young kid that is personal to myself and my father and to be able to complete that dream (Even a pretend one in a digital world) means a lot to me.

Thank you Heatblur for creating this possibility.

Kind regards from a young (old) kid with his head in the clouds.

Man I wish your dad were around to see this. I'm sure we all understand the feeling he had to some extent.

-SnakeShit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Peace through Superior Firepower

EVERYTHING YOU'LL EVER NEED FOR LOMAC:

http://flankertraining.com/ironhand/news.html

Looks great! Will it be PFM?

Short answer is: yes, but not called a PFM.

Long answer is: the model is an EFM meaning the flight model was developed outside of ED and in fact is a program that runs outside of DCS. It receives atmospheric and physical parameters (speed, AOA, etc) from DCS which is then fed into the Heatblur FM program. The program then crunches all the info and feeds forces to the rigid physics model inside of DCS.

I think a lot of people figure that FM development is a lot like a "mad libs" word game where you take some aircraft specifics and plug it into a framework that exists in DCS - that is true for SFMs. But PFMs/EFMs are clean sheet mathematical descriptions of the aerodynamic and physical forces that effect the airplane. So instead of a mad libs we are talking about a blank sheet of paper.....pretty intimidating.

In the case of the F-14, the FM was developed from NASA wind tunnel testing, NASA aerodynamic evaluation data, USN real world performance data (covering all aspects), USN documentation for handling/testing, USN docs for the AFCS system, flight control systems, USN weight and balance documentation (which proved to be quite important for replicating behavior), detailed engine documentation/dynamics modeling, etc, etc, etc.....a lot of stuff!

All of this information is then digested and converted to equations, coefficients, look-up tables, and all that stuff by the FM developer. The F-14 FM actually has 2 FM engineers/coders/developers. The lead is a joint PhD in engineering and computer science (Mechatronics) while the other's day job is as an FM developer for Level D simulators (private and light commercial jets).

Add to that, the FM has over a hundred hours of real F-14 pilot evaluation time resulting in many adjustments. We thought the FM was in pretty good shape a year ago when the pilots first stated giving feedback. Well a year later we have adjusted a lot of stuff! Things are actually quite different than they were back then (even without changing the core aero data from wind tunnels and other sources). FM development means a lot of very fine tuning that can have big effects. Without all the pilot input, things would actually feel pretty different - even though everything would still match the data. Aircraft feel is surprisingly dependent on small details. :)

I am happy to say that our pilot SMEs are quite happy with it, even as we adjust a few more details (like how much roll rate changes with wing sweep, as Cobra mentioned). One of our best SMEs (very detail oriented and he uses DCS habitually - he has made a huge contribution to the module!) recently described the FM as a "game changer" - so we are very happy with the depth and accuracy.

So like I said....long answer. :)

In summary: it's really good! :D

-Nick (Heatblur Tomcat tester)

Edited by BlackLion213