[CORRECT AS IS] SLAM Accuracy

hein22

SLAMs inertial navigation drifts a lot more than most weapons. It needs to be guided in via datalink if you want accuracy from standoff range.

The consistency of the issue makes you think there is something going on here. Same result every time?

Stay safe

SLAMs inertial navigation drifts a lot more than most weapons. It needs to be guided in via datalink if you want accuracy from standoff range.

Wait! What? The SLAM has a GPS updating function for the INS, so what you stated isn't valid.

Stay safe

https://www.ausairpower.net/TE-Harpoon.html

from this article it seems like the GPS receiver was never used as good enough for a fire-and-forget to hit precision coordinates, and always used the datalink to guide it in for terminal phase.

It doesn't really say that, I read it full. But I see your point, although it seems more like trying to justify a bug rather than proving it wrong. I don't see any evidence that makes the DCS SLAM behave like it does. I think it should be looked at.

Stay safe

I don't know. The documentation seemed pretty clear. The GPS is to correct for INS drift. And it's only accurate to within 50 ft. Which, from my testing, is about how far off it is when it misses. So, from what I've seen and read. It seems fairly correct. It's only job is to get the weapon on target in a manner that the pilot would only have to do a short search with the D/L to acquire the target.

Now the SLAM-ER, on the other hand, can be used in fire and forget situations due to its ATA (Auto Target Acquisition) system. Which the SLAM doesn't have. I'm open to correction on that part.

Why is the rum always gone!?!?!?!

I don't know. The documentation seemed pretty clear. The GPS is to correct for INS drift. And it's only accurate to within 50 ft. Which, from my testing, is about how far off it is when it misses. So, from what I've seen and read. It seems fairly correct. It's only job is to get the weapon on target in a manner that the pilot would only have to do a short search with the D/L to acquire the target.

Now the SLAM-ER, on the other hand, can be used in fire and forget situations due to its ATA (Auto Target Acquisition) system. Which the SLAM doesn't have. I'm open to correction on that part.

What I'm seeing is much much more than 50ft. And if 50ft is what you see, then your statement comes down, because 50ft will give you fire and forget capabilities.

Stay safe

I watched the track from the OP, both in OB and in our dev build, it was not horrible in OB but was pretty deadly accurate in the dev build, so its possible it is still being tweaked slightly. Thanks guys.

Thanks for the update. I'll continue to watch this closely and report back if I find something odd so we can see if it needs a tweak.

Stay safe

• 3 months later...
I tested this 7 times and it seems that if you fire SLAMs when IN RANGE cue appears and after a while, the accuracy is erratic. But¿ if you launch them IN RANGE but under 10nm the accuracy is 100% perfect. Track attached.

Any news guys?

Stay safe