Few TCS questions. - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #1
Deano87

Default Few TCS questions.

To those more knowledgeable about the Tomcat than I, I have a few questions about the TCS -Television Camera System.

I understand that the TCS could be slaved to the radar so you could see what you have locked.

But how functional was the TCS when not using it in operation with the radar? I've read that it had a "Automatic scan & lock" mode where it would continuously scan its available FOV and then lock on to any target it could see, How was this done? Contrast/Movement based I would guess? And was it at all effective? Did it have different levels of zoom?

I heard that in clear weather you could VID a Fighters sized contact with it at around 10 miles and a airliner/cargo plane sized contact out to around 50 miles. Does this sound about right?

And lastly did the TCS have any ability to lock onto a ground picture? I understood it had a relatively narrow FOV but could it be stabilised with the ground in pitch and yaw or was it only for use with air-to-air targets?

Cheers
D

DCS F-16C REALLY IS A THING! - BLOCK 50 BABY!!!

My Screenshots = FLICKR ALBUM
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:27 PM   #2
turkeydriver

You could VID F-5s and A-4s at least 10 and bigger fighters from farther. Ranges haven't been described with any finality.
turkeydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:37 AM   #3
CheckGear

Does anyone know if we'll be able to record using the TCS? I know it had at least a few minutes of recording time IRL.
CheckGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:36 AM   #4
Tirak

I'm gonna guess no since I don't believe any of the gun cams work in any other aircraft, but I could be wrong about that.
Tirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:20 AM   #5
turkeydriver

Just about every fighter fling video has recorded TCS footage- you can tell its not lantern due to the symbology changes
turkeydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:34 AM   #6
Cypher1o1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirak View Post
I'm gonna guess no since I don't believe any of the gun cams work in any other aircraft, but I could be wrong about that.
im pretty sure the F-5 had a gun cam export to vid thing but i might have misinterpreted something since i never tried to use this feature or look in to it too much
Cypher1o1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:13 AM   #7
HawkDCS

Here is a little more info.

https://theaviationist.com/2015/10/1...n-through-tcs/