New Mig29 FM - Page 9 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #81
GGTharos
Veteran

By following some good practices for getting a hand of the basic handling characteristics.

Ie. take it to 3000m, fly straight and level and reduce throttle, keep the climb indicator at '0', let the speed reduce very slowly and watch what happens as you adjust pitch and throttle to maintain a climb of 0 at the lowest possible speed etc.

You do that with clean aircraft, flaps, flaps and gear, just gear, etc. And then you'll know how to deal with it during landing.

Alternatively, hit your glideslope and AoA targets for landing with a long approach to get a stable (nearly hands off) glide going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyforDCS View Post
Care to explain how? Whenever I get on the landing speed, full landing flaps out, I seem to drop out of the sky.

I understand that its a matter of experience, but when no one can show you then how do you learn?

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #82
Aluminum Donkey

Lots of remarks about very high control sensitivity. Welcome to the MiG-29
Our problem here is that everyone's using bench-top flight sticks. If your control stick were a foot long like in the real plane, that would be much less of a problem.
What I'm not liking at all is the hyper-fast trim rate, specifically on the roll axis. It's impossible to just quickly tap the roll trim and trim out the tendency to roll left or right. I *seriously* doubt the real aircraft is like this, because there would be no point in having roll trim at all.
Another thing is that the aircraft turn rate seems to change in large steps as you accelerate/decelerate through the speed range while holding a constant stick position. Others have commented on this--you pull the stick back and very little happens, then there's a large 'jump' in G force/turn rate.

Anyway everyone, this is a fresh new PFM for the MiG-29, and the quirks will undoubtedly get ironed out sometime in the future.

Peace and happy warfare
AD
Asus Z170-P, i5-6600k at 4.5 GHz, 1.35V w/ CM Hyper 212 EVO, 2 x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 4 @ 3000MHz 15-15-15-35, Zotac GTX 1070, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440 single screen, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS w/ Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller in place of crappy original electronics

Flying: The art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!
Aluminum Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #83
Lixma 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum Donkey View Post
What I'm not liking at all is the hyper-fast trim rate, specifically on the roll axis. It's impossible to just quickly tap the roll trim and trim out the tendency to roll left or right. I *seriously* doubt the real aircraft is like this, because there would be no point in having roll trim at all.
AD
Aye.

You can probably dogfight using the trim control it's so quick.
Lixma 06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #84
Mizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunMcKill View Post
For that landing then you have to forget ILS and any instrument landing!, all the approach I did yesterday using ILS were higher than the one in the video, and I never crashed, but were rough landings
Very similar to an earlier post showing a real Mig29 landing from cockpit view.

Mizzy
Mizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #85
watermanpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWE-Timberwolf View Post
Have you tried to re-assign the axis controls as I have sugested before?
Ok mate, after deleting the axis bindings and doing them again the extreme sensitivity is still there...I just cant fly the plane properly that way, its not possible...as some people have already said it feels like the su-27 in "cobra" mode but all the time...do you really see a clear difference after doing that? I mean would it be possible that it is just placebo? (dont take me wrong, no offence, I just have a legit question)

I think that the problem, after analyzing a bit with RCtrl+Enter controls view, is that the response IN GAME to the pitch inputs is NOT linear (nor proportional) in the simulation, I mean, 30% of warthog deflection translates to 60% stick deflection in game , then the next 50% barely does anything and the last 20% does nothing (dead zone) as I can see how the stick in the cockpit doesnt move although the warthog response is correct from 0 to 100% in the controls setup from DCS, windows or other joystick analyzing soft so not a problem with the joy. My response is something like this (sorry for the shabby look ):

This is apart from the FCS doing its thing.

So I dont think is a problem of the FM but the way the inputs we make in real life with our joysticks translate into in game inputs...maybe they simulated how the real joystick works but if thats the case I think its a bad idea for the simulation as we dont have proper joysticks to simulate that, its like the detents in the throtles of the hornet, they have to find a way to "translate" the real thing to the simulation gear otherwise it would not be possible to properly use our gear.

Take a look at my MODS here

Last edited by watermanpc; 10-11-2018 at 03:45 PM.
watermanpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #86
OnlyforDCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jockey View Post
Believe I found your problem:

One has to press and release the "p" key very quickly.

Otherwise if you take some time to release the key, it will also count as drag-chute release function.
Aha, okay. Will give it a go thanks!
Old 10-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #87
Lixma 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermanpc View Post
Ok mate, after deleting the axis bindings and doing them again the extreme sensitivity is still there...I just cant fly the plane properly that way, its not possible...as some people have already said it feels like the su-27 in "cobra" mode but all the time...do you really see a clear difference after doing that? I mean would it be possible that it is just placebo? (dont take me wrong, no offence, I just have a legit question)

I think that the problem, after analyzing a bit with RCtrl+Enter controls view, is that the response IN GAME to the pitch inputs is NOT linear (nor proportional) in the simulation, I mean, 30% of warthog deflection translates to 60% stick deflection in game , then the next 50% barely does anything and the last 20% does nothing (dead zone) as I can see how the stick in the cockpit doesnt move although the warthog response is correct from 0 to 100% in the controls setup from DCS, windows or other joystick analyzing soft so not a problem with the joy. My response is something like this (sorry for the shabby look ):

This is apart from the FCS doing its thing.

So I dont think is a problem of the FM but the way the inputs we make in real life with our joysticks translate into in game inputs...maybe they simulated how the real joystick works but if thats the case I think its a bad idea for the simulation as we dont have proper joysticks to simulate that, its like the detents in the throtles of the hornet, they have to find a way to "translate" the real thing to the simulation gear otherwise it would not be possible to properly use our gear.
+1

You can be holding a steady turn but if you pull just 0.1% further back on the stick the aircraft's nose pitches up violently as if you've crossed a threshold where controller inputs are amplified. It's like flicking a switch.

Fun to fly - but if it's realistic I wonder what the designers were smoking
Lixma 06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #88
Elysian Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven434th View Post
Just pulled off a sweaty landing with a blown right tire that I lost on takeoff was very interesting to say the least
My first landing in it was with all tyres blown, which happened on take-off since the aircraft seemingly wasn't very interested in lifting itself of the ground.
Landed without further issues, but I had to use asymmetric thrust for proper turning while taxiing back to the apron

System specs:
Spoiler:

i7 6700k @4.5Ghz
32 GB Corsair DDR4 2400MHz
ASUS Strix GTX 1080Ti OC
ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger
1TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD

Pro Flight Trainer Puma
TM Warthog HOTAS w/ 10cm extension by Sahaj
Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals
Oculus Rift CV1
Elysian Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #89
Auditor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitormouraa View Post
I haven't had problems landing, but I'm really happy for this video.

If we have contact with real fulcrum pilots: I'd like to know what they think about the flight model in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lixma 06 View Post
+1

You can be holding a steady turn but if you pull just 0.1% further back on the stick the aircraft's nose pitches up violently as if you've crossed a threshold where controller inputs are amplified. It's like flicking a switch.

Fun to fly - but if it's realistic I wonder what the designers were smoking
Have you tried it with and without autopilot dampening? It makes quite a difference.

Last edited by Auditor; 10-11-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Auditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #90
zhukov032186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitormouraa View Post

My compliments to the pilot. That was beautifully performed.
I do solemnly swear to strafe every pilot I shoot down, destructible or not, circumstances permitting, because reasonz. Opponents are advised to assume the position upon landing, or preferably, while still in the air.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote