New Mig29 FM

Mizzy

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
Did the author of the FM to Mig-29 once fly this plane? Perhaps he should consult with real pilots? I read the opinion of one of them yesterday and it was not positive. And I rather believe him more than someone who has never flown this machine. Of course, you know it's a simulator, but maybe you can do it better?

This module is still a WIP, and yes, ED has on staff someone with MiG-29 experience. If you are unhappy with it, then wait for it to be further along, but its important to us to get the module out there and have more eyes on it.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Came here to post the exact same thing.

Landing difficulty for me:

Mig21 - Hard, but if I concentrate and pray real hard I can do it

109K - Piece of Cake

Spitfire - Not too difficult, I can manage it most of the time

Mig29 (updated FM) - WHAT KIND OF CRAZY UNTAMED HELLBEAST IS THIS?

Someone really needs to post a landing tutorial video, I've done Nineline's landing mission like 10 times in a row, and there is no way for me to bring it down in one piece. This is officially the hardest module to land now.

Yep, tried and tried, I'm retired now so plenty of time on my hands !!

Mizzy

By following some good practices for getting a hand of the basic handling characteristics.

Ie. take it to 3000m, fly straight and level and reduce throttle, keep the climb indicator at '0', let the speed reduce very slowly and watch what happens as you adjust pitch and throttle to maintain a climb of 0 at the lowest possible speed etc.

You do that with clean aircraft, flaps, flaps and gear, just gear, etc. And then you'll know how to deal with it during landing.

Alternatively, hit your glideslope and AoA targets for landing with a long approach to get a stable (nearly hands off) glide going.

Care to explain how? Whenever I get on the landing speed, full landing flaps out, I seem to drop out of the sky.

I understand that its a matter of experience, but when no one can show you then how do you learn?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Lots of remarks about very high control sensitivity. Welcome to the MiG-29 :)

Our problem here is that everyone's using bench-top flight sticks. If your control stick were a foot long like in the real plane, that would be much less of a problem.

What I'm not liking at all is the hyper-fast trim rate, specifically on the roll axis. It's impossible to just quickly tap the roll trim and trim out the tendency to roll left or right. I *seriously* doubt the real aircraft is like this, because there would be no point in having roll trim at all.

Another thing is that the aircraft turn rate seems to change in large steps as you accelerate/decelerate through the speed range while holding a constant stick position. Others have commented on this--you pull the stick back and very little happens, then there's a large 'jump' in G force/turn rate.

Anyway everyone, this is a fresh new PFM for the MiG-29, and the quirks will undoubtedly get ironed out sometime in the future.

Peace and happy warfare

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

What I'm not liking at all is the hyper-fast trim rate, specifically on the roll axis. It's impossible to just quickly tap the roll trim and trim out the tendency to roll left or right. I *seriously* doubt the real aircraft is like this, because there would be no point in having roll trim at all.

AD

Aye.

You can probably dogfight using the trim control it's so quick.

For that landing then you have to forget ILS and any instrument landing!, all the approach I did yesterday using ILS were higher than the one in the video, and I never crashed, but were rough landings

Very similar to an earlier post showing a real Mig29 landing from cockpit view.

Mizzy

Have you tried to re-assign the axis controls as I have sugested before?

Ok mate, after deleting the axis bindings and doing them again the extreme sensitivity is still there...I just cant fly the plane properly that way, its not possible...as some people have already said it feels like the su-27 in "cobra" mode but all the time...do you really see a clear difference after doing that? I mean would it be possible that it is just placebo? (dont take me wrong, no offence, I just have a legit question)

I think that the problem, after analyzing a bit with RCtrl+Enter controls view, is that the response IN GAME to the pitch inputs is NOT linear (nor proportional) in the simulation, I mean, 30% of warthog deflection translates to 60% stick deflection in game :huh:, then the next 50% barely does anything and the last 20% does nothing (dead zone) as I can see how the stick in the cockpit doesnt move although the warthog response is correct from 0 to 100% in the controls setup from DCS, windows or other joystick analyzing soft so not a problem with the joy. My response is something like this (sorry for the shabby look :P):

1539271811-gra.jpg

This is apart from the FCS doing its thing.

So I dont think is a problem of the FM but the way the inputs we make in real life with our joysticks translate into in game inputs...maybe they simulated how the real joystick works but if thats the case I think its a bad idea for the simulation as we dont have proper joysticks to simulate that, its like the detents in the throtles of the hornet, they have to find a way to "translate" the real thing to the simulation gear otherwise it would not be possible to properly use our gear.

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

Believe I found your problem:

One has to press and release the "p" key very quickly.

Otherwise if you take some time to release the key, it will also count as drag-chute release function.

Aha, okay. Will give it a go thanks! :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Ok mate, after deleting the axis bindings and doing them again the extreme sensitivity is still there...I just cant fly the plane properly that way, its not possible...as some people have already said it feels like the su-27 in "cobra" mode but all the time...do you really see a clear difference after doing that? I mean would it be possible that it is just placebo? (dont take me wrong, no offence, I just have a legit question)

I think that the problem, after analyzing a bit with RCtrl+Enter controls view, is that the response IN GAME to the pitch inputs is NOT linear (nor proportional) in the simulation, I mean, 30% of warthog deflection translates to 60% stick deflection in game :huh:, then the next 50% barely does anything and the last 20% does nothing (dead zone) as I can see how the stick in the cockpit doesnt move although the warthog response is correct from 0 to 100% in the controls setup from DCS, windows or other joystick analyzing soft so not a problem with the joy. My response is something like this (sorry for the shabby look :P):

1539271811-gra.jpg

This is apart from the FCS doing its thing.

So I dont think is a problem of the FM but the way the inputs we make in real life with our joysticks translate into in game inputs...maybe they simulated how the real joystick works but if thats the case I think its a bad idea for the simulation as we dont have proper joysticks to simulate that, its like the detents in the throtles of the hornet, they have to find a way to "translate" the real thing to the simulation gear otherwise it would not be possible to properly use our gear.

+1

You can be holding a steady turn but if you pull just 0.1% further back on the stick the aircraft's nose pitches up violently as if you've crossed a threshold where controller inputs are amplified. It's like flicking a switch.

Fun to fly - but if it's realistic I wonder what the designers were smoking :)

Just pulled off a sweaty landing with a blown right tire that I lost on takeoffjoystick.gif was very interesting to say the least

My first landing in it was with all tyres blown, which happened on take-off since the aircraft seemingly wasn't very interested in lifting itself of the ground.

Landed without further issues, but I had to use asymmetric thrust for proper turning while taxiing back to the apron :music_whistling:

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I haven't had problems landing, but I'm really happy for this video.

If we have contact with real fulcrum pilots: I'd like to know what they think about the flight model in general.

+1

You can be holding a steady turn but if you pull just 0.1% further back on the stick the aircraft's nose pitches up violently as if you've crossed a threshold where controller inputs are amplified. It's like flicking a switch.

Fun to fly - but if it's realistic I wonder what the designers were smoking smile.gif

Have you tried it with and without autopilot dampening? It makes quite a difference.

Edited by Auditor

Has anyone landed this aircraft ? If you have , what's the trick !!

Mizzy

I've attached a track of my 1st ILS landing (2nd landing overall with the PFM). One thing to try to do, other than being smooth and steady on the controls, is to arrive at the runway with an AoA of 9-10°. I got a bit fast at the end because I momentary stopped paying attention to my throttle but you'll get the idea.

MiG-29 PFM-Landing-A.trk

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

What I'm not liking at all is the hyper-fast trim rate, specifically on the roll axis.

I actually quite like the trim. Sure it makes it easy to overshoot, but I think even with that included I can end up trimming a bit quicker than with a slower trim. The MiG-29 and Su-27 tend to need quite a lot of trim, so I can see why it would be so quick.

As far as the new PFM goes in general, I'm only just starting with it, but reaching Mach 2.5 with a full weapons load out was a surprise.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I actually quite like the trim. Sure it makes it easy to overshoot, but I think even with that included I can end up trimming a bit quicker than with a slower trim. The MiG-29 and Su-27 tend to need quite a lot of trim, so I can see why it would be so quick.

As far as the new PFM goes in general, I'm only just starting with it, but reaching Mach 2.5 with a full weapons load out was a surprise.

According to Yo-Yo, the current FM is missing dynamic pressure.

I've attached a track of my 1st ILS landing (2nd landing overall with the PFM). One thing to try to do, other than being smooth and steady on the controls, is to arrive at the runway with an AoA of 9-10°. I got a bit fast at the end because I momentary stopped paying attention to my throttle but you'll get the idea.

Is the way I did yesterday (at night), but it's difficult to land using the ILS, it's easier to snap to ground and make a smooth landing.

On the pitch axis it's not very important because the 'center point' is dynamic with airspeed - but the roll axis has a very obvious center (assuming symmetric load, undamaged) and the way it is currently modeled it's impossible to return to neutral trim; even the 'reset trim' command can't do it.

Are the wheel brakes programmable as an axis now, since the update?

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

On the pitch axis it's not very important because the 'center point' is dynamic with airspeed - but the roll axis has a very obvious center (assuming symmetric load, undamaged) and the way it is currently modeled it's impossible to return to neutral trim; even the 'reset trim' command can't do it.

You got it! Thanks for describing it in different words from my own.

The pitch trim is fine; it's the roll trim that's FAR too fast and makes it impossible to trim out gradual left or right roll. If the real MiG-29 is like this, it's gonna p!ss off a LOT of pilots. The slightest tap of the roll trim makes the MiG roll one way or the other. It's far too coarse to be useful for anything.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Are the wheel brakes programmable as an axis now, since the update?

Yes.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.