wing flex only on su27

Bandit.

hello, i recently noticed that wing flex has been added to the su-27. (no its not only the leading edges). pull some high g maneuvers and you will notice it.

never saw an announcement for this so im wondering if it was intentional and if it coming for the other plans.

btw thank for adding this. its one of those little things that adds a lot of immersion.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there a reason the F-15 doesn't have any wing flex?

It's a new feature that is phased in. Some slightly older models may not have the animation arguments (yet?).

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

It does flex some IRL. It's a very stiff wing in comparison. Also, the F-15 doesn't have wingtip missiles/rails, which on the, Su-27, F/A-18 and F-16 act like a cantilevered weight that exaggerates that flex movement.

Yeah, I've seen it a bit on some videos so I wouldn't expect too much in the sim.

It's a new feature that is phased in. Some slightly older models may not have the animation arguments (yet?).

Alright cool. Thanks for the answers guys.

Sobek...it would be cool if the wing...ordinance can actually vibrate due to turbulence...like in the latest BMS versions. But I guess that means a new atmospheric model? Again a job for EDGE?

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

But I guess that means a new atmospheric model? Again a job for EDGE?

I don't think that BMS uses any kind of turbulence modeling for this effect. I suspect that they have table data and excite a simple mechanical oscillator for every station to create that behaviour (if it even is an oscillator, i haven't played BMS in too long to remember how it behaves exactly). Sure this could be done, but accurate data is needed (simulating the excitation aerodynamically would be quite hard, i guess).

Edge has nothing to do with the underlying models. It is "just" the graphic rendering side of things. Everything else is pure maths crunching in the background. The athmospheric model is being updated continuously.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

The F-15 wing is just low aspect ratio with a lot of taper, that's why it's stiff. All the force is at the root so you're not generating a moment. The F-18 and Su-27 have high AR wings by comparison and flex more.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I watched a lot of F-15 videos last night before posting to make sure I wasn't talking too much smack. Cockpit vids pointed at the pilot with good views of the wings, beating the crap out of the airplanes and I saw very little movement at the tips, almost imperceptible really. Again I think that comes from the wing design, and lack of wingtip stores. The F-15 fuselage is a lifting body and the wing is very large in comparison to the weight of the aircraft overall, resulting in lower load factors.

Further, and this is from looking at cutaway views of the wings internal structure, there is a lot going on as far as far as internal bracing.

wing_structure.jpg

Yeah exactly. From what I saw before I asked that question, wing flex isn't very noticeable, but it is there. As far as it being in the sim, it wouldn't matter too much since like you said, it's almost non existent.

I don't think that BMS uses any kind of turbulence modeling for this effect. I suspect that they have table data and excite a simple mechanical oscillator for every station to create that behaviour (if it even is an oscillator, i haven't played BMS in too long to remember how it behaves exactly). Sure this could be done, but accurate data is needed (simulating the excitation aerodynamically would be quite hard, i guess).

Edge has nothing to do with the underlying models. It is "just" the graphic rendering side of things. Everything else is pure maths crunching in the background. The athmospheric model is being updated continuously.

You are right...it doesn't seem to be dynamic in BMS..but atleast its there. Its like in the new codemasters F1 games, they managed to add flex and body component vibration as you are driving and the car drives over a curb. It just adds to the immersion. Not critical...would be nice. ;)

I meant that if hopefully the graphic engine is now handled by one separate thread like the sound engine, if ED can leverage a complete thread for physics calculations, that would be amazing and they could probably calculate a lot more little features..like precise water wave modelling with weather effects etc... and hopefully in the future, get rid of the SFM for even non-flyables. But I guess all in time eh?

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|