Diy Desk Mount VKB

So after shipping it would cost just under $300 AUD for a Monster tech desk mount,

So on a 43c day here in OZ, I decided to knock my own mount together :smartass:

The clamp is a Bessey Toggle Clamp Self Adjusting Inline 25 STC-IHH25

The metal plates are 3mm, I think.. from a local hardware store, 2x 90 angles and 1 x plate.

It's super stable and won't budge, perfect for my needs. movable in 2 seconds, Here's a few pics below for some inspiration.

NuUAwq2.jpg

e2Artfe.jpg

:pilotfly:

Edited by Judofish
fogot links
  • Like 1

Nice. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Nice one.

I'm also building one myself for the Warthog using alumunium profile. Its actually not that hard and waaaay cheaper than buying it online as a ready to use product which could cost more than the hotas itself (+ shipping). I might post some picts when it finish.

Cheers

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

PS If you haven't already just make sure you haven't got any sharp edges on the metal work. ;)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Nice one.

I'm also building one myself for the Warthog using alumunium profile. Its actually not that hard and waaaay cheaper than buying it online as a ready to use product which could cost more than the hotas itself (+ shipping). I might post some picts when it finish.

Cheers

yes please, a friend of mine and I are looking for extrusion aluminium profiles these days :)

I already made one with aircraft beams but I messed up with the measurements, ending with a higher-than-desired throttle.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

yes please, a friend of mine and I are looking for extrusion aluminium profiles these days :)

I already made one with aircraft beams but I messed up with the measurements, ending with a higher-than-desired throttle.

I find its strong enough using alumunium profile 2040 V slot like this one below. Its adjustable with T slot. I'm still on process and waiting few tools and parts to finish it. Regarding the measurements, I refer to the pdf files provided by Thrustmaster on their site.

a62d51e9246cf994df0f0d0325187bf3.jpg

So there are plenty of accesories for those V-shape profiles, right?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

So there are plenty of accesories for those V-shape profiles, right?
You should check your local store. I got all I need from my local store and no need to buy online from abroad. Its much more cheaper.

For example, I bought that alumunium profile 30 cm long for only US$ 6 equivalent.

T nuts and bolts for only few cents. Alumunium plat under US$ 4 and Chinese made Vertical clamp for only 2 bucks.

b7520dcf204c903984da9a8e1dbc2311.jpg7b2a6700cda24a244de72a2f9b9343b8.jpgd6e87d15137cbdb79c278a6c7d12fcc8.jpg

Edited by Oceandar

For those of us without a local source Ebay has a good selection

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 2 years later...

Oh, this toggle clamp looks nice! What about the adjustability of it? I bought almost the same toggle clamp recently, but the metal of the core was aluminium. I don't remember the exact name of this clamp, so I will do much more research on it. The only disadvantage of your clamp may be the adjustability, because the metal of it is not so stable. If you're adjusting objects more than 5 kilogram, it can be broken in two weeks, so regularly check the stability of your clamp. Anyway, the quality of it is so good, so it is completely affordable for engineers with a low budget.

Edited by ThomsonMary

• 7 months later...

This is GREAT!

Basically I copy your design and went to local metal shop, the final result is something like this. 

Got that 90 degree metal from homedepot, 2 metal plates from local metal shop, and a clamp from local hardware shop. I let them drill 3 more holes so I could adjust the height if I want.

The only problem I got is the clamp, I couldn't find Bessey Toggle Clamp Self Adjusting Inline 25 STC-IHH25 from the local shop, instead I got a crappy one, bad decision. For those who wants to build the mount, auto adjusting clamp is important, that clamp is the only thing holding the weight of mount + joystick + your hand! 

mount.png

mount2.jpg

mount3.jpg

mount4.JPG

• Like 1

the bessey clamp last time I bought one, is about 25-30€
maybe you could investigate the model Virpil is using for their new desk mounts, which could be a middle ground price wise
great project sir

• 2 weeks later...