Missions of the Week Questions

Chops

I have not had any success with the HARM mission that Wags posted last week - (Caucasus F/A-18C AGM-88C HARM)

What is the best way to approach this mission? Has anyone done a video tutorial for this particular mission?

Also, any references on how to evade SAM's would be appreciated as well.

I found that Chuck's F/A-18C Guide, contains the RWR codes that show up on the EW display and/or HUD, which helps a bit in identifying some of the threats.

Edited by Chops

• ED Team
I would have thought the ineffectiveness stemmed from difficulties keeping track of switched off target radars. But no, all my HARMs get shot down by counter missiles. Damn, those SAMs are good at targeting.

There are no SAMs in the mission that have anti-ARM capability. Destroying the two SA-6 sites is actually quite easy, the MiG-23 flight on the other hand...

• ED Team
I have not had any success with the HARM mission that Wags posted last week - (Caucasus F/A-18C AGM-88C HARM)

What is the best way to approach this mission? Has anyone done a video tutorial for this particular mission?

Also, any references on how to evade SAM's would be appreciated as well.

I found that Chuck's F/A-18C contains the RWR codes that show up on the EW display and/or HUD, which helps a bit in identifying some of the threats.

Note the locations of waypoints 7 and 8 alignment with the SA-6 strobes along those bearing. Use the waypoints as range indications to the targets. You will need to press further to engage the MiG-23s out of Tonopah. For SAM evasion, keep out of the their WEZ as much as possible, and E-pole out (turn tail and run) or place the SAM abeam with chaff and break into the missile as it closes to force it to pull more energy than it can muster.

Note the locations of waypoints 7 and 8 alignment with the SA-6 strobes along those bearing. Use the waypoints as range indications to the targets. You will need to press further to engage the MiG-23s out of Tonopah. For SAM evasion, keep out of the their WEZ as much as possible, and E-pole out (turn tail and run) or place the SAM abeam with chaff and break into the missile as it closes to force it to pull more energy than it can muster.

Thanks Matt, I will try this mission next, however, my post was about the mission you posted last week in the Caucasus :) Any suggestions on that one?

There are no SAMs in the mission that have anti-ARM capability. Destroying the two SA-6 sites is actually quite easy, the MiG-23 flight on the other hand...

Thanks for the reply, Matt! But as Chops pointed out, we are talking about last week's mission, the simple one for practice! :) Will try the Red Flag one next, looking forward to it!

• ED Team
Thanks Matt, I will try this mission next, however, my post was about the mission you posted last week in the Caucasus :) Any suggestions on that one?

Indeed you did.

The SEAD Caucasus mission has no real objective, it is just to practice against several different SAM systems including SA-2, SA-3, SA-6, SA-8, and ZSU-23-4.

The SA-11 and SA-10 and ships have been removed to simplify things. Although, all SAMs can be set to not engage air-to-surface missiles.

Updated version here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3762420&postcount=113

Edited by Wags

• ED Team
Selected A/G mode, master arm and inventory page. Why can't I select HARMS for this mission?

Running in steam. Harms appear on the loadout. Can't select them though. No harm indicator in top right woth the HARM selection option.

You need to be using Open Beta.

Is this week's Red Flag missions supposed to start C&D or running? It has missions timings for startup and taxi, so I was expecting C&D. But when I load the mission, all systems are up and running. 13 minutes is a lot of time to sit there waiting for taxi as well, again making me think C&D was the intent.

I was looking forward to some ramp to ramp missions.

Hi Wags

Just to clarify i can confirm that indeed the sam batteries do engage the incoming Harm's, generally at close range sub 3km. I noticed this as was using missile view post launch to see just how the missile profile flew as was interested in the terminal stage of flight.

Of the 4 Harm's launched all where engaged and destroyed, clearly beyond the capabilities of the actual SA6 system.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

• ED Team
Hi Wags

Just to clarify i can confirm that indeed the sam batteries do engage the incoming Harm's, generally at close range sub 3km. I noticed this as was using missile view post launch to see just how the missile profile flew as was interested in the terminal stage of flight.

Of the 4 Harm's launched all where engaged and destroyed, clearly beyond the capabilities of the actual SA6 system.

We cannot reproduce this. The SA-6 does not now, nor ever, had the ability to engage ASMs. Please provide a track.

• ED Team
Is this week's Red Flag missions supposed to start C&D or running? It has missions timings for startup and taxi, so I was expecting C&D. But when I load the mission, all systems are up and running. 13 minutes is a lot of time to sit there waiting for taxi as well, again making me think C&D was the intent.

The missions is designed for a hot start to meet mission times.

I have a question for Shiraz airstrike mission : I edited waypoint nr 1 coordinates as per Wag's screen shot : https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=201803&d=1547128177

but after that I am no longer to WPDSG waypoint 1 in order to have an accurate mK84 bomb drop.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

In the Red Flag SEAD mission, what does it meant "Strike Push Marshal 01:04:00 0.75 m"? Does it mean I have to loiter wp 4 until it's 01:04 and then head to wp 5 at .75 mach? Or that is the time when the strike package pushes and I am supposed to have killed the sams by then?

And another question. What altitude should I be flying at? 30,000 Ft?

Thanks

In the Red Flag SEAD mission, what does it meant "Strike Push Marshal 01:04:00 0.75 m"? Does it mean I have to loiter wp 4 until it's 01:04 and then head to wp 5 at .75 mach? Or that is the time when the strike package pushes and I am supposed to have killed the sams by then?

And another question. What altitude should I be flying at? 30,000 Ft?

Thanks

Exactly what you said, loiter at WP4 then push at 0104z at Mach .75. The entire strike package will push the same time as you but slower, you take out the SA, the F15s hopefully deal with the enemy fighters and then tea and medals back home! I flew at 15000ft as I am sure that was what the WP was set at on the HSI. The stack at WP4 will then deconflict with the other elements at other altitudes.

I really enjoyed this mission and I am now looking at the RF campaigns. In my time in the air force as a mission planner and having watched live exercise missions on ACMI play out this was quite accurate in terms of how it unfolds. The RT in the background was amazing for immersion!

Thanks Wags!

Exactly what you said, loiter at WP4 then push at 0104z at Mach .75. The entire strike package will push the same time as you but slower, you take out the SA, the F15s hopefully deal with the enemy fighters and then tea and medals back home! I flew at 15000ft as I am sure that was what the WP was set at on the HSI. The stack at WP4 will then deconflict with the other elements at other altitudes.

I really enjoyed this mission and I am now looking at the RF campaigns. In my time in the air force as a mission planner and having watched live exercise missions on ACMI play out this was quite accurate in terms of how it unfolds. The RT in the background was amazing for immersion!

Thanks Wags!

Interesting, I didn't care for the unrelated chatter. I like communication, but relevant. See Sedlo's red flag for example. Not saying I expect wags to be doing voice overs for these, just that they were distracting. Would be nice to have a toggle.

The mission is pretty easy so I am not sure it matters but as I recall the wpt elevations are close to 10000m. Weird to be flying missions that high since we are all used to low level stuff (guess we should get used to it with the tomcat coming). I only flew the mission once but went back and looked at the tacview file. I picked up BB on the way in and immediately prioritized those over the SA-6s for obvious reasons. My 88's though homed on the 6 clusters. Do SA-6s also use BB search radar? I don't see any sa-10s.

For those newer/struggling the 6's give off a lot of smoke so you can see them launch and are very vulnerable to chaff. You've got energy and altitude, and there is a ridge low if you need terrain. Careful though as there's some mid-range stuff down there

Edited by sk000tch

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

I flew it again real quick, partially to experiment with the push time timing from 4, but no idea what I was talking about. No big birds. I play in VR and in a cluttered EM situation DE and look like BB, could have been another mission or something though - I haven't really mastered the defensive systems of the 18 yet.

For instance, the disp switch on the CM control panel. If we are flying SEAD, is there a setting that will prioritize SAM guidance radars like we can with interceptors (I'm not actually sure this is functional yet)? Same with the tones, when a new emitter is detected, or when one moves to the critical band, etc, not second nature yet.

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Open in ME, select your flight and switch to start from parking cold.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

Open in ME, select your flight and switch to start from parking cold.

You’ll need to adjust the timings as well.

I changed my start time for the mission itself and my flight to 1620 (15 mins earlier than original). I then changed all the friendly AI to 1635 start/spawn time. This worked well, gave 15 mins for start and checks before taxi at 1635 as briefed.

ED needs to desperately implement a ramp start feature that doesn’t mess with waypoint timings.

You’ll need to adjust the timings as well.

I changed my start time for the mission itself and my flight to 1620 (15 mins earlier than original). I then changed all the friendly AI to 1635 start/spawn time. This worked well, gave 15 mins for start and checks before taxi at 1635 as briefed.

ED needs to desperately implement a ramp start feature that doesn’t mess with waypoint timings.

Nice! Feel like sharing? :) ????

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

we need a new waypoint type !

i would call them "takeoff after start (procedure / hot or cold)"

so someone could create a waypont "hotstart" @ 10:00 (even on park position)

and the next wp would be "takeoff" @ 10:10 (even on runway)

all timings within the ME waypoint chains were really right and visible (except late activations)

or

has someone a workaround ?

too much ...

Or just cue all units to activate at a time instead of mission start.

Im sure if a red flag campaign is made for the Hornet it will be somewhat like the A-10c red flag campaign with a mix of cold and hot starts. (fingers crossed)

Edit: For red flag mission we really need an option to turn down the "ambient" chatter. When I arrived at the AO it felt like I went blind (or crazy). Too many voices make it stop! If this is normal sensory overload for a pilot on red flag I will retract this.

Edited by Darcwaynard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]