X56 - Logitech Profiles/Programming vs DCS Control Settings

KomandoKorndog

:helpsmilie:

Ok. So I'm very new to DCS. I just got my X56 HOTAS and I'm trying to understand what I need to do to get all set up. Logitech provides some programming software and a profiles pack. The documentation about exactly how to use it is lacking in detail, to be very kind. There is no base profile for DCS, but there is a profile named Lock_On_X5x. I have no idea what's in it. Then DCS has its own set of configuration settings.

My confusion has to do with whether or not I need to load/create and configure/adjust a profile within the Logitech software specific to DCS, but general in nature and then make further adjustments within DCS that are specific to each aircraft?

I hope that makes sense. I don't want to make this more complex than it needs to be, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel every time I fly a different plane either. So is this how I should go about it? Is this a good strategy? Use a Logitech profile general to DCS and a DCS profile (Is that what it is in DCS? A Profile?) specific to an aircraft?

Thanks for any help. I'm really looking forward to getting through all this so I can finally get to my 1st flight.

Hi and welcome!

I have an X52 Pro. I suspect it's very similar.

What I've done is simply to map the aircraft functions using the DCS adjust controls functionality.

This video by Wags provides an overview of how to do this, although he's focusing on the TDC

I still have a couple of things I'd like to do better but this will get you started. I haven't bothered with the Logitech software, which I find confusing at best...

Yeah, I kinda think I have an idea of what the Logitech software is supposed to do, but they really didn't document it very well. I'd like to be able to get set up so I can use the modes. Maybe 1 for ground stuff like startup and taxi. Another for general flight and nav. And the last one for weapons and combat. Just a general idea floating around in my head at this point, but I'll get it sorted out a little at a time. I'm really surprised that there isn't some sort of basic template profile for DCS somewhere. Everything in my Logitech and DCS is blank for both the stick and throttle. I won't be able to actually fly until I go through the whole thing.

Personally, I haven't found the need for the modes; though if I used VR I might think otherwise?

I just click the cockpit buttons for startup. Taxi is painless. You switch from flight to weapons mode at a flick of a switch and the HOTAS buttons are friendly that way (e.g. one is nosewheel steering on the ground and undesignate target in the air.

So, in my experience, the modes in my HOTAS are superfluous.

I've mapped the flaps, gear, Sensor, target, countermeasures, cage/uncage and a few other valuable switches / modes and gone flying quite happily.

Have a look at WAGS' training videos at

and decide how you want to fly your plane and pick those functions you want to map. I'm being a bit loose on that choice for you as different people have different interests and priorities for their hobby. I'm Canadian and I use my F-18 the way we do ours: land-based for combat. One of these days I might try flying traps on a carrier but my preference is hitting ground targets, dodging missiles and killing air opponents.

I'd suggest you make a few basic choices (you'll likely adapt them as your style evolves) and get out and try the plane. It's Fly by wire and hence extremely easy to control (no need to trim, so forget mapping that until you get into refueling). Use the function keys on the displays as the real pilots do and use your HOTAS the way the real HOTAS is used...

Have fun!

I'm starting with the A-10C, but I can see how a lot of the more basic functions would apply to almost any bird. I've got a few things figured out, like flight controls, trim, flaps, gear, speedbrakes, wheel brakes... Still got some tweaking to do to get it all nice and smooth, but it's usable. I managed to complete the takeoff and basic flight maneuvers mission. Not very good, but good enough for now. I'll watch the WAGS video and see if I can learn something new.

As far as the Saitek software is concerned, I gave it the old college try, but it's pretty much useless for DCS. Nothing I did in Saitek translated to any change in DCS. In fact, loading a custom profile seemed to have an adverse effect in DCS. So I restored everything in Saitek to original default values, deleted the custom profile I created and loaded a blank default profile before I went into the DCS configuration utility. Now everything is working fine. I just have to keep working with DCS and develop my settings as I go. The modes would be nice to have, and maybe someday I'll find a way to make use of them, but for now, even with only one mode, there are far more switches, buttons, rotaries and sliders than I know what to do with anyway. Figuring out what's available, what's necessary and where I want it will probably take quite a while and evolve, as you mentioned, but hey, it's an adventure. Right? ;)

Oh! The A-10C!!

Now that one has proven to be a huge challenge to me as there are so many functions to map! I've found the X-52 to not have enough buttons to go around and I suspect that you may need to map the pinkie switch as a modifier, which does require Logitech SW...

Call me a wimp, but I kind of gave up trying to be decent in the A-10C - its learning curve is super steep IMHO. I'm finding the F/A-18 to be much more approachable.

Definitely an adventure! Have fun :)

I'm going to have to disagree somewhat with the above; in my opinion it's best to leverage The Logitech software because it opens up many programming opportunities you wont have in DCS. What I did was delete all the auto assignments for the axes and set them correctly in DCS. From there everything else goes into the Logitech side of the house. Learning how to use the software isn't hard, there are many YouTube videos showing methods for programming various functions in various ways and most of it you'll figure out after a little clicking around. Your reward will be vastly increased possibilities and once you learn what your missing without leveraging the software I suspect you're going to be glad you invested your time.

I'm going to have to disagree somewhat with the above; in my opinion it's best to leverage The Logitech software because it opens up many programming opportunities you wont have in DCS. What I did was delete all the auto assignments for the axes and set them correctly in DCS. From there everything else goes into the Logitech side of the house. Learning how to use the software isn't hard, there are many YouTube videos showing methods for programming various functions in various ways and most of it you'll figure out after a little clicking around. Your reward will be vastly increased possibilities and once you learn what your missing without leveraging the software I suspect you're going to be glad you invested your time.

Ok, crab. I have 3 questions.

1. When I look at the programming options for some of the controls, I see "Latched" at the top of the list. What does this mean?

2. How exactly do I get DCS to see and read the profiles created with the Logitech software?

3. If I go to the trouble to set everything up with the Logitech software, will I be able to finally use all 3 modes?

* Of those 3 questions, #2 is probably most important. Nothing I've done so far in Logitech has made any difference in DCS.

Thanks for any help.

Ok, crab. I have 3 questions.

1. When I look at the programming options for some of the controls, I see "Latched" at the top of the list. What does this mean?

2. How exactly do I get DCS to see and read the profiles created with the Logitech software?

3. If I go to the trouble to set everything up with the Logitech software, will I be able to finally use all 3 modes?

* Of those 3 questions, #2 is probably most important. Nothing I've done so far in Logitech has made any difference in DCS.

Thanks for any help.

Your going to want to download a PDF of the software manual and peruse it; you don't have to put in a lot of study but should pay attention to the basics so you have some familiarity with the nomenclature and concepts. Then you'll need to decide what type of profile you want to create: Do you want to have separate modes for Nav, A to A, A to G? Maybe you want to keep your most everything on mode 1 but have a 2nd mode just for take-off, landing, and refueling? Whatever the case may be you'll want to start working toward that goal from the start. As an example I run the second scenario with my mode 2 dedicated to refuel, take-off and landing. To this end I have mode 2 latched so it stays on until I press again.

That is latching, it's a hold. If you make your second mode unlatched you can set a momentary like the pinkie to be a mode switch and hold it with another switch to issue the mode 2 command for that switch. Either one can work well depending on your layout philosophy. I prefer to use a latched arrangement because I'm doing the modern aircraft where the pinkie can already have a layered command. This is something you'll want to pay attention to, use the HOTAS commands where available and if DCS had a layered function with that switch you'll capture it in your profile.

So that would bring me to how it works: it's just sending keyboard commands. All you have to do is have the SST software running and the profile active and it will take care of the rest sending whatever keyboard commands you have associated with a switch, rotary, etc.

Yes, all three modes will be available. To go back to the beginning: have a look okay the software manual and the watch some of the many YouTube videos explaining programming various functions. It doesn't take long to get the concepts down and you'll find yourself up and running in no time.

I'm on my phone in airport BTW so I I'm trying to be brief. Don't hesitate to ask if you run into something you don't understand; there are lots of helpful people here that will be able to help.

Final verdict on the X56 Rhino HOTAS. It's junk and I'll be the proud and happy owner of a brand new Warthog the day after tomorrow. I've spent 5 days trying to get it to work as advertised. The fact is I can fly a little as long as I don't need to be very precise. The stick is so sloppy and spongy feeling that I really can't use it. The controls (switches, knobs, buttons, etc...) are so poorly laid out that most of them are unusable. There are no latched switches. Only momentary. That could be remedied within the software if it weren't completely useless, but even if I got it to work, the physical devices are of such low quality and poor design and build that I can't count on them to work every time or even do the same thing twice in a row. The modes are useless too. It's possible to configure them in the software, but then the software doesn't make the trip to DCS. And even if it did all I'd have is 3 times as many cheap, useless buttons and switches. And the throttles are non functional until after you start the engines with the keyboard. I might be able to get my money back, but then there's a chance that someone else might wind up with this POS, so it's going in the trash. Bottom line. DON'T DO IT! Save your money until you can buy a Warthog or Virpil.

Good advice re Saitek . I'm kinda partial to CH though :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The WH software doesn't "make a trip" to DCS either. You can use custom LUAs along with a profile with either one but you still need a profile in the respective software up and running. I have both setups, the WH at home and the X56 at work and use them both. I like the WH much better, no question, but the X56 works and has some advantages:

It can be used without pedals. I hate not having pedals but at work it's a necessary evil that comes along with space requirements and the need to quickly pull the gear out of a locker and throw it back in after use. You can of course create an axis for rudder on the stick or throttle of the WH but that's not exactly a win.

It''s cheaper. For most people in this hobby it probably wont matter but for some even the 200 on sale X56 is a stretch. For those people it gets them a functioning HOTAS and while it may not be the one they want it's one they can have. Cheaper is also an advantage to those who are just testing the waters and want to keep their expense down while they decide if flight sims are for them.

The X56 has more potential layouts than the WH which can be nice and is one aspect I like about it over the WH, I've got more layout options.

In any event Target is neither easier or harder to master than SST so you've still got a hill to climb in that regard unless you want to go with pre-made stuff. That has the advantage of being easy but the disadvantage of not being your baby made with love and care exactly as you want. You can of course do this with either HOTAS so things might seem a push but it isn't so, there are many more profiles for the WH available so that's a WH win if you're going to run something from the community.

In the end I think useless is an unfair characterization of the SST software. It has ultimately less power than the Target software in the hands of gurus but is possibly more powerful to folks with less skill since it has some options that Target lacks and they are more accessible to ordinary users. I don't have any problem whatsoever with it working every time or not doing the same thing twice. This is strictly in your hands with the X56 just as it is with the WH of course but that's the point, it's going to do exactly what you programmed just like the WH will for better or worse. If you're like me it means you're going to lock up your computer a few times with stuck keystrokes and that sort of thing while learning with either software but it's all part of the learning curve for both.

As to the quality and performance it's in a price point all it's own so it doesn't really have a direct competitor making it best in class due to... lack of interest? I cant disagree with your assessment of it's quality other than I think you're maybe overdoing it somewhat because you're POed at the moment over your struggles with the software. I'm hopeful that the WH will be nice enough for you give you the incentive to invest some time to get it working. However you slice it I cant give Logitech much credit for upping the ante, they reduced their warranty costs with some small changes but didn't do anything to improve the product itself which I would describe as not just cheap but cheap feeling. It works, it's the cheapest thing you can get into that could be described as a full HOTAS at this time. Faint praise but for those who would otherwise be flying with the keyboard and a toy it's something.

You''ve probably figured out now that most of this wasn't really aimed at you, you've made up your mind already and honestly I'd say you're not wrong. If you've got it to spend and you are going to stick with flight sims for any length of time the WH is a better choice all around. Others will come along seeking information though that would be suited to the X56 and might benefit from knowing a little more about what they are getting into if they drop ching.

No, Crab, it really didn't have anything to do with the software in the end. I gave up on that quite a while before I finally gave up on the X56 altogether. While I don't foresee using the Thrustmaster software much (if at all) I can honestly say that's because I don't really foresee any need to use it. Aside from adjusting the output of a few of the buttons on the throttle and stick, there's nothing left to be done. The Warthog just works. The inconsistent function and operation of the X56 also wasn't a software issue. It was cheap hardware, poorly assembled. Push a hat this time (if you can reach it) and maybe it works. Push it next time....good luck, but probably not. The Warthog is more expensive. That's true. But my journey into sims would have been far less expensive if I hadn't wasted the 1st $229 on the X56 only to have to spend more to get something that actually worked. Now, I have 2 degrees in computer science and a pilot's license. Knowledge of hardware and sofware combined with a deep and abiding love of aviation kept me going through this ordeal. But I can honestly see how someone new to all of it would get so discouraged and turned off by something like this that they'd just give up and quit. The differences between the software are like night and day too. I haven't delved too deeply into the TM software (again, because there's no need), but I saw immediately a vast difference in quality and documentation. Whereas Logitech provides a 1 page flyer that assures you their software will do anything you can imagine, they provide absolutely nothing to describe either what it is actually capable of or how it does it. And they don't respond to requests for information. And there's nothing on their forum worth reading. TM actually comes pre-loaded with a profile that "makes the trip" right out of the box. Everything in the main editor has a tool tip and there are builtin tutorials for all the basic functions. It works. And if you really want to roll your own, an advanced script editor and excellent documentation are provided. The quality of the Warthog, software and documentation justifies the price, in my opinion. I was more than a little surprised at just how good it is. I can not say the same thing for the Logitech, which I consider junk.

I'm an engineer which I suppose in this context means I'm not an expert in a related field. As a layman I can say with confidence I've used both better and worse software than what's on offer here. In both cases there is a PDF available which can be easily found and downloaded and to program either HOTAS to full advantage they have to be perused in moderate detail. In both cases it wasn't enough to answer all my questions and I was forced to go to further lengths (Youtube, forum dives, etc.) to get the information I needed to create custom profiles. In neither case was any stock profile that came with the software what I wanted and in both cases the only the only way to what I wanted was to learn to use the software. The time invested learning the software for either was much the same and both required doing research outside of the provided materials. Once I did learn how to use either software a profile can be created in either with roughly equal ease.

Obviously I can't fault your opinion, you've a right to it and I respect it. More, I think objectively that you're not wrong; the WH is a better choice as I already said. I still disagree with how you got there because your opinions of the software aren't based on actual use but rather a quick peek. In real world use the more glossy offering isn't easier to use at all, if anything it's harder if you want to dive into writing scripts. It only seems easier until the shine comes off when you actually start using it.

About the size of the X56... As I recall it most of the reviews mentioned that those with smaller hands might want to think twice.

I don't have much more to add here: In most respects I agree with you, the WH is a better solution and in the unlikely event someone actually asked me I'd tell them to skip the X56 unless that was all they could afford or they has a special use case like mine. Were this unlikely inquirer in that latter situation I would go ahead and recommend the X56 because it does work, can be programmed by anyone who wants to take the time, and is a whole lot better than the keyboard and a toy.

I was a (mostly) happy X-55 owner for 4 years. I had to have my handy brother re-wire the throttle because of the oft reported shoddy wiring. It works well still. However, I wanted to upgrade and decided to order the TM WH HOTAS. I received it, played with it for a few days, loved the stick...but then returned it because the throttle's (terrible) slew 'nub' wouldn't re-center. I then decided to just save some money and try out the new, all-black X-56.

Part of my reasoning was this: I SO prefer the ergonomics and mapping options of the X-55/56 throttle over the Warthog throttle. I ended up keeping the X-56 just for the throttle alone and found a KILLER sale on the lone Warthog Stick...which is brilliant. My point is: the ergonomic design and button/switch options are in my opinion superior to the A-10C's TM replica. The slew control (mini-stick) on the X-56 is excellent and the scroll wheel (when assigned to view zoom) is brilliant. The major problem with the X-56 is 'under the hood' with the wiring...which is a real shame and an understandable turn off. But the actual design has a LOT going for it. I would not encourage people to 'run' from the X-56...but purchase a good electronic warranty. :-) As for the TM Warthog...the Stick is fantastic...the throttle, it leaves a bit to be desired for the price.

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

The wiring was one of the fixes Logitech put in on the "upgraded" version. Having been in the thorttle to remove most the goo used for resistance I can say the wiring appeared to have adequate slack and was properly bundled with nothing rubbing. Been in the WH throttle as well and it isn't pretty in there, the beauty is skin deep. I like the WH better though, I can afford nice things and don't much like things that feel cheap. The X56 feels cheap to me, maybe that's an unfair assessment but it's my opinion.

If I could have the stick I wanted it would be something like the X56 but nicely done with premium hardware and attention to detail. I'd buy that stick over the WH without question. It's a problem we all face, we're not really buying what we want: We've got little to choose from and all of it flawed leaving us to decide what is the lesser evil.

The wiring was one of the fixes Logitech put in on the "upgraded" version. Having been in the thorttle to remove most the goo used for resistance I can say the wiring appeared to have adequate slack and was properly bundled with nothing rubbing.

If I could have the stick I wanted it would be something like the X56 but nicely done with premium hardware and attention to detail. I'd buy that stick over the WH without question.

I've heard that, too. Haven't opened up my X-56 throttle yet to confirm, but I sure hope you're right.

As for the stick... I feel like the TM Warthog stick IS a premium version of the X-56. :-) The ergonomics of the TM stick are WAY better in my opinion... but the X-56 stick isn't bad. You're right about compromise, though.:smilewink:

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Same as the other fellow; make sure you have the drivers installed, have the latest SST software, have the software open and the profile loaded, and it will work in DCS. Remember these sticks are just sending either keystrokes or DX assignments depending on how you program them, nothing "gets brought into DCS" as was implied above. It's really just a keyboard emulator in the shape of a joystick and throttle. To learn how to program it first peruse the manual, when you've got an idea of what your going to be about go ahead and watch some programming videos. Most of the most of the information is transferable across the joysticks so don't be afraid to take a peek at X55/56 videos. When you get to something specific that's hanging you up don't hesitate to ask; there are lots of savvy people on here and one of them is likely to have your answer.

• 2 months later...

I bought the X56 with a little trepidation but so far (2 months) I’d give it 8/10.

But I do have one annoyance: one or two of the toggle switches will occasionally fire without being pressed. But the weird thing is that makes me question whether it really is just the sticks fault, it’s mainly the gears switch or the external view that triggers. None of the others. It also doesn’t seem to happen in Elite Dangerous. So I’m wondering if it isn’t some funky game and stick compatibility issue.

Does anyone else get this. Bloody annoying though - you’ll be busy prosecuting a target and your landing gear lowers. At speed of course it damages them so can give you real issues.

I bought the X56 with a little trepidation but so far (2 months) I’d give it 8/10.

But I do have one annoyance: one or two of the toggle switches will occasionally fire without being pressed. But the weird thing is that makes me question whether it really is just the sticks fault, it’s mainly the gears switch or the external view that triggers. None of the others. It also doesn’t seem to happen in Elite Dangerous. So I’m wondering if it isn’t some funky game and stick compatibility issue.

Does anyone else get this. Bloody annoying though - you’ll be busy prosecuting a target and your landing gear lowers. At speed of course it damages them so can give you real issues.

I get some ghosting with mine too. One day jumped into my F-5E and went for a ride. Mid flight it decide to trigger the canopy switch I had on the throttle and pooof there goes my canopy. Then is hits the chute switch and it's gone too. lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have had my Saitek version for about two years now and am starting to get a lot of ghost presses out of various buttons on the throttle. The two hats H3 and H4, as well as F and G, and TGL 1 are ghosting almost every time I fly. The Stick I have not had much issue out of other than the Z axis going berserk and staying off-center despite multiple attempts at re-calibration. That was fixed by purchasing T.Flight Rudder pedals. I sent a message to customer support at Logitech after trying to figure out how to make the mode switch applicable in-game, to no avail, they did not even understand what I was asking so I just gave up trying to explain it.

System: IBP Snowblind, i7-9700k, Zotac RTX2080Ti, 32GB DDR4 , Samsung 970 Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe, WD 1TB, Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM T.Flight Pedals, TM MFD's, Buddyfox A10C UFC

Modules/Maps: F/A-18C, A10C, UH-1H, F-15, F5, P51, F14, Caucasus, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

@CBoB

@Chappy500

I found that my ghosting stopped when I plugged them into the motherboard USB. Then I got a powered USB and that has worked too.

~Bailey