VR Cockpit

Buckeye

Good luck if you need regular electronic items like wire, connectors non ac switches i use allelectronics.com their price are reasonable

Appreciate the insight brother :thumbup:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

70121336764f68015e10707611376d36.jpg

Finally got this beast from the post office today after they held it hostage for 10 days.

Sat in the parking lot here for 5-10 minutes flicking it up and down like a child haha #oddlysatisfying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• 1 month later...

VR Cockpit

A few updates...

The wedding is now behind me and I’ve just returned home from 2 weeks in Thailand for the honeymoon. Free time will be still be very limited as my career is very busy at the moment (plus I’m working on some house renovation stuff and have some other personal travel on the books over the next couple of months), but I plan to do my best to push forward with getting the cockpit build started ASAP. My goal is still to have the left side panel done by the start of Fall to give me some good momentum heading in to the Fall/Winter where I should have a lot more free time (hopefully, at least).

I’ve started to do some beginner level learning of Fusion 360. Very beginner level thus far but I’ve decided it will be my 3D modeling program of choice for the build. I plan to design everything first and then shop the work out to a local CNC Miller (for both the wooden frame work as well as the acrylic paneling) for fabrication. My dad has a solid woodshop but I’m concerned it will take me too long to do all the cuts myself, so I’m likely to go the CNC direction. I’ll be updating this thread as work progresses on the 3D model...I expect this to take me a while though, as I have zero experience with 3D modeling (or any modeling that isn’t financial modeling, for that matter haha). Feedback from the experts here will be critical

As a side note, I am working with Roberto from Throttletek to build me a F/A-18C throttle. There are a lot of moving parts with this currently though so I will circle back once I have some concrete info.

I have picked up the following switches to outfit the throttle, all Otto Mil-Spec (MS) parts. I have a few more that I need to source...but I am trying to be patient and hunt some deals as they are quite expensive...insanely expensive, actually. The 2-ways are to be used for the speedbrake and the CM dispense, the real slider Otto SL series switches are $350+ each, so I’m planning to use these Otto T1’s instead. I’m not sure what the small Micro button pictured is to be used for as I don’t see a spot for it anywhere on the IRL throttle but it’s the part # Roberto gave me to purchase? That one has me scratching my head a little. These arrived while I was in Thailand, pic below.

32efa595e164177d16201da91aa9d272.jpg

Lastly, I found a pretty good deal on 4 of these Honeywell MS24658-22G (1TL1-2G) locking On/Off switches. I figure these types will be really nice for certain switch functions in the pit. They arrived today and look and feel great!

3e795ab1f0b60cdab05f5243032a1e74.jpg

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Must be nice to have the room and the ability to get the proper hardware. I myself use common hardware that does the same function and looks close .

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 4 weeks later...

Made a pretty big investment today in improving the VR cockpit and came to an agreement with Roberto at Throttletek....

As I mentioned above I had been working on terms for a deal to make a Throttletek Hornet throttle. Last night I placed my order for a custom Throttletek F/A-18C throttle, built with Hall sensors (instead of the standard Pots that usually come with this throttle).

To eliminate any risk of the buttons not functioning as I want them to, I have purchased all of the switches and buttons to be placed in to the throttle during it's construction myself. I elected to go with all authentic Otto brand mil-spec switches (see post above for details), the same brand as the ones used in the real throttles. Roberto will be provided the TDC and antenna elevation wheel for me as I did not source those myself.

Lastly, I have also supplied a Honeywell MS27719-21-1 On-Off-On 3-way toggle switch for the Master Exterior Lights toggle on the outboard side of the throttle.

The build is expected to be ready to ship approx. mid-October.

Pictures of the mapping with parts listed:

a0e98f912eb30996d8a0692b3c53f897.pnga574cf3ba2a4f3908a4156e56def6486.png938a36cf5bbb2ead5b9b67f2641adfc4.png

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Oh and I forgot to add in my post above...less excitingly, I ordered a Virpil (VPC) MT-50 base to replace the Warthog base. I got tired of waiting on VKB to figure their stock issues out (it's been 6+ months of waiting at this point) and I decided that I simply cannot support a company that is operated and ran as poorly as theirs is by investing in any of their products.

I will be using the VPC base in combination with my 15cm black Sahaj extension and the TM Warthog grip. When available for purchase I will also add a TM F/A-18 Hornet grip to my collection for usage on my Hornet and Harrier flights.

Congrats!!

Thanks, sir! o7

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Roberto should make your throttle build a standard option. If I am going to spend that kind of money, I expect that kind of quality/attention to detail.

Sorry you were unable to get a VKB stick. I had seen how they worked in the past and made sure to get an early order on the first production run of the mcg pro. There was a small delay past the original delivery date, but I am very happy with the results well worth the money and wait.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

VR Cockpit

Roberto should make your throttle build a standard option. If I am going to spend that kind of money, I expect that kind of quality/attention to detail.

Sorry you were unable to get a VKB stick. I had seen how they worked in the past and made sure to get an early order on the first production run of the mcg pro. There was a small delay past the original delivery date, but I am very happy with the results well worth the money and wait.

Agreed it should be standard

And not to worry on the VKB...I actually preferred the VPC for its improved ability to handle the weight of the Warthog grip (or other future metal grips with that type of heft), I just hated the pain in the ass the mounting mechanism would cause. Eventually it just seemed more reasonable to fashion some type of mounting solution than to continue sitting around waiting on VKB. Two trusted friends on mine that have both said to go VPC...so that also helped to get me over the hump.

Edit: I ended up being able to pick up a VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG Pro earlier this week (got in early on their limited stock to the NA store as soon as it went live), but shortly after ordering I decided to cancel my order. No desire for the base anymore, I believe the VPC will be best for me.

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Haven't updated anything here in quite a while, so here are some quick updates to get everything mostly current...

I've changed my stick base to a VPC T-50, and I am really liking it. I am traveling this week, but when I get home I will get some pics of how I have temporarily rigged it up to work with my WSP for mounting. This is just a temporary solution as I continue with plans to build a fully functional 1:1 sized replica cockpit. I am using it with my 15cm black extension from Sahaj, the stock cams, I swapped in the strong springs (which I have tensioned up), and finished it off with the Warthog grip. Really great combo for me. I am looking forward to Thrustmaster releasing the Hornet grip as well :thumbup While I was waiting for delivery from VPC, I was actually lucky enough to hit one of the VKB ordering windows of opportunity and I ordered a full VKB GFP Mk2 + MCG Pro kit...but after further research and talking to some people who owned both, I opted to cancel the VKB order and stick with VPC instead. I won't go into the details for the decision too much, but mostly because I had no intention of using the Russian style MCG grip, and I like a firmer stick tension, I thought the VPC would be best for me. No regrets on that decision.

I also sourced some of the final switches for my Throttletek, namely the Otto T5-MC1212 which is a nice 4-way plus push button that will be used for my Comms + Mids switch. The bright side is that it looks and feels great, the down side is that it cost me more by itself than 95% of full HOTAS systems on the market and had an 8 week lead time for delivery. Alas, I received it and sent it off to Throttletek to be included on my F/A-18C throttle...

tk53I1F.jpg

Speaking of my custom F/A-18C throttle order, it's construction is complete and I got the email from the guys at Throttletek last Friday that it was shipped. It delivered to my home on Monday, but as I said, I am traveling early this week and won't return home until later in the week to finally give the throttle it it's long awaited first testing. Roberto was kind enough to send along some pics before they packed it up...

aD9mZEf.jpg

D4esjRN.jpg

fxJtoYp.jpg

93VU1dA.jpg

KunkMrC.jpg

gmcTjK4.jpg

A few notes on the throttle build:

• I have very long fingers so I opted for the Otto push buttons that sit out a bit further, rather than flush to the throttle grip...it looks a little less clean IMO, but I've always found it uncomfortable trying to bend my pinky finger enough to depress the Red pinky button on the WH throttle, so hopefully this helps with that
  • Not terribly pleased that there is some obvious excess glue used around the push buttons, especially given the cost of the throttle, but it's something I can clean up myself with some time and elbow grease (or a razor blade)
  • I opted for grey instead of black buttons on the push buttons, zero functional differences (same buttom, different color)...just a personal preference

I will get a review of this up for everyone ASAP once I've had time to put it through the paces and form an impression. I am also going to be hard at work to build a temporary mounting solution for it as well, but more to come on that later.

Other items I've picked up for the eventual cockpit build:

Selective Jettison Knob

JVU5X7b.jpg

Materials for an ejection seat handle:

HqabRSp.jpg

A friend from another forum was kind enough to help by sending me these raw materials, along with a preprogrammed Teensy2.0. Here is his finished build, which I plan to replicate to the best of my abilities:

1a33bbb855b83b894c2d20914c6e8ef2fbb33982_1_666x500.jpeg

c0977fd6f5956c871b3896dae7458180847b8cb2.jpeg

437d517b4eb78eba1bca103d19861f2c2f157af1.jpeg

d95997d8604d9ced3870c3ef725fcbb1458158ab.jpeg

I also picked up a second RAF Tornado gear handle, same exact one as before, I should be ordering this fully metallic HOOK handle soon as well...the plan is to modify the gear assembly to function as my tail hook handle/switch

Hook2.jpg?width=813&height=610

I've also pre-ordered a Pimax 5K+ VR HMD as well, but that won't be here for months, so not much to say about that for now.

I am sure there are a few other parts I've acquired that I am missing, but this level sets mostly where I am at currently.

Hopefully with winter being here now I'll be less busy and be able to start making more progress on the actual building of my pit (rather than just part acquisition), which will lead to more frequent updates here.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Strange that the transducer doesn't have a guard around it like the real one. Also those two buttons have small screws holding them in place.

I've still got my F-18 throttle kicking around in a closet somewhere. One day I'll get back to it.

https://imgur.com/a/pmzz1

I'm wondering if I should just cover it in baby powder take take enough photos of it that someone could photogrammetry it into a a part for 3d printing. It's not in that old imgur album, but all the switches are real OTTO, including the transducer. The two 4 way switches are brutally crisp. All the switches are uncomfortably crisp and sharp in their tactile-ness. I wonder if a real plane's throttle would get more worn in.

f18_hotas.thumb.jpg.acec7ced41ed2608dc5e5cee7329e94f.jpg

Edited by TomVR

Strange that the transducer doesn't have a guard around it like the real one. Also those two buttons have small screws holding them in place.

I've still got my F-18 throttle kicking around in a closet somewhere. One day I'll get back to it.

https://imgur.com/a/pmzz1

I'm wondering if I should just cover it in baby powder take take enough photos of it that someone could photogrammetry it into a a part for 3d printing. It's not in that old imgur album, but all the switches are real OTTO, including the transducer. The two 4 way switches are brutally crisp. All the switches are uncomfortably crisp and sharp in their tactile-ness. I wonder if a real plane's throttle would get more worn in.

The two buttons you will have on yours are are Otto P1-3xxxx style and they will sit flush to the back of the grip with a bit of a lip outside/around the button. As I said in my prior post, I elected for the Otto P1-1xxxx style, which don't have that lip and sit out a bit further, bc them being raised a bit is more comfortable for my hand. This style of button doesn't that lip around it for them to be screwed in to.

Mine is outlined in black, yours in red (could also be the ones to the right of that with the screw fitting)...you can see how mine is a bit more raised up.

Tv0eBBa.png

It doesn't because its a mini joystick and not a force sensor.

That's correct, I had surpassed $1500 all-in for the throttle already and didn't want to drop an additional $500+ on a real transducer...so I went with the ALPS mini joystick instead :thumbup:

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

That's correct, I had surpassed $1500 all-in for the throttle already and didn't want to drop an additional $500+ on a real transducer...so I went with the ALPS mini joystick instead :thumbup:

Yeah, I ordered mine in October with Hall-effects and two 4 way hats.. hoping to get it by the new year.. I see Roberto wasn't able to increase the size of the finger lifts... looks like a job for JB Weld Epoxy Putty... :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.csg-2.net/

Throttle is set up temporarily with the Wheel Stand Pro...

367fc412b7faf4931a4ac61f9313cdbb.jpg0ad17315a2b702844d3e53e519a40191.jpgf8701c1d4ea86128ee11c058f004b7b7.jpg0078aa5b11886a27adcbb07d7977e89c.jpg

Selective Jettison Knob showed up as well, which will be a big part of the temporary left console/left AUX Project I am working on.

e14b4d7073ef288c2db64cd9b96f519d.jpg

While I wait for the guys from Open Hornet to continue their great work on the 3D model and build plans (I’ve come to terms with the fact that they are worlds ahead of me in terms of ability, expertise, etc so there is no reason for me to recreate what they’re already doing), I am working on modeling out a box to bolt to the left console on my Wheel Stand Pro, as a temporary solution until I can move forward with the full cockpit build. I have been modeling it 1:1 with the OH dimensions so that I can just take the top panels off of this box and move them to the real deal once the OH guys are finished with the design.

b5e361f3ba2a07876b6e6eb66f2afac8.jpg

Need to add the inboard wall and bottom, then get started on extending it forward and upwards to include the AUX/left vertical panel (for gear handle, flaps switch, launch bar, selective jettison knob, etc)

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

• 1 month later...

67df8c83522bef3c6797df3922ec21fd.jpg

The real (as in the one used in the Hornet) Grayhill rotary showed up while I was traveling to see the in-laws for the holidays It feels super nice, moving it there are very firm tactile clicks into each of the 5 detents. Pricey, but worth it for this part as it’s one I use every flight in the Hornet.

I am going to need to take it to a local machine shop for them to drill through the shaft for me though, I’m too scared to try to do that myself. That would be an expensive mistake.

I have the OTTO push button with 4lbs of actuation force to put under it for the push button functionality to work. I just need to get the rotary shaft hollowed out at the shop first, and then get it rigged up with washers, nuts, etc so I can run a rod through the shaft and Loctite the end into the bottom of the red JETT button. After that, it’ll be all ready to go

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

• 4 weeks later...

The last of the real toggle switches just arrived, assuming my inventory of the Hornet pit and what I have on hand already is accurate....

2x Cutler Hammer EATON MS21027C232 locking 2-way toggles:

7b4e1d7d70f782844a0af5eccb4f3284.jpg

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

The last of the real toggle switches just arrived, assuming my inventory of the Hornet pit and what I have on hand already is accurate....

2x Cutler Hammer EATON MS21027C232 locking 2-way toggles:

Sweet, but what do you plan on using the two 8856K7s for?

Seems to me like you'd only need one for the IFF master switch, but then of course I haven't exactly seen a complete list of switches anywhere. They seem to vary between generations of hornets and possibly between manufacturers of the panels.

Only other place I've seen a 'K7 used is on the A-10C CMSP.

Nice work. Here is my pit for reference. It started simple and keeps growing and growing in complexity. Ejection seat is now in the works but still waiting for the VKB before I finalize the design

Fun hobby.

SCHOOL

I thought about using a vehicle seat as well. How do you like it over a computer chair?

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Nice work. Here is my pit for reference. It started simple and keeps growing and growing in complexity. Ejection seat is now in the works but still waiting for the VKB before I finalize the design

Fun hobby.

SCHOOL

Nice !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Sweet, but what do you plan on using the two 8856K7s for?

Seems to me like you'd only need one for the IFF master switch, but then of course I haven't exactly seen a complete list of switches anywhere. They seem to vary between generations of hornets and possibly between manufacturers of the panels.

Only other place I've seen a 'K7 used is on the A-10C CMSP.

Excluding the Master on the IFF panel, there are: one on the ILS panel (may ignore), Anti Skid, Master Arm (using another switch I own for this), Auxiliary Release, L Gen & R Gen (may ignore or use cheaper switches instead), FCS Bit, and maybe a couple others.

I have the switch below that I am planning to use my as my Master Arm, though, so these will probably end up being Anti Skid and either Auxiliary Release or FCS Bit for me. I am using the below for my Master Arm because it is an On-Off-(On) locking toggle, and on the Tomcat I can use the momentary down actuation to flip the Master Arm cover up so I can flip it to "On" with the up actuation...won't be 1:1 with the Hornet, but its very close and will avoid a headache with other modules.

s-l1600.jpg

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

The two 8856K7's showed up, they are great (as expected):

xUvuQVt.jpg

But more importantly, over the weekend I built my new rig. With my Pimax 5K+ on the way soon (I hope), and while I am waiting for the OpenHornet plans to be finalized so I can get to work on building the real cockpit, I figured now was a good time to build the new rig...

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 8-Core Processor - OC'ed to 5.1ghz on all cores

CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i RGB PLATINUM Liquid CPU AIO Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory - OC is still TBD

Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card - OC'ed to 2100mhz Core Clock and +500 on Memory Clock

Case: Lian-Li - PC-O11 Dynamic (White) ATX Full Tower Case

Case Fan: 6x Corsair - LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120mm Fans ran on a Corsair Fan Controller Commander Pro

Monitor, PSU, SSD's, peripherals, etc are recycles from my old rig. The exception being I changed mouses to the wireless Logitech G903, which is absolutely fantastic for anyone looking for a new mouse.

A pic from before I dumped the CPU in:

tmFinN8.jpg

Up and running:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Now I just need to figure out how to use the Corsair iCUE software so I can change the damn lighting from RGB or plain white, to Red White and Blue to jive a little better with the freedom I'm spreading in the Hornet.

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig: