Interview with Wags

Ramrod_45

If they pull this off in a reasonable amount of time ,It opens a whole new market...better engine means better ground simulation.Imagine how many tank/armor modules they could build and sell,,,,and it takes alot less time and research to do a tank as its systems are comparably simpler.Just look at how many tanks you can grind in warthunder and armored warfare... ITS ALOT! CHA CHING go the coffers at ED. IMO it's a no brainer and I really really hope they do it. It's always been their mandate to do an electronic battlefield...now I think we're seeing it heading in that direction.Wags knows this...it's his plan(evil laugh)

Also its kinda funny how all those tank models we play with were mostly built by russians working for warthunder and armored warfare. Those guys have an opportunity to build 3rd party modules just like anybody else.

Edited by Raven434th

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

Well I've been simming for 20 years...hope I'll be doing it for another 20...I can wait a few years.

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

Out of curiousity I checked websites for 3rd party developers and most of them don't seem to be Russia based. That would potentially give them more leeway than ED has, and it's quite plausible while developing it themselves might cause issues allowing it to exist within the DCS world might not matter to the powers that be. Completely speculation, but it's possible that something like just trying to gather info about the aircraft could cause suspicions/problems if done within Russia whereas someone doing it in another country might not be bothered. ED really has no reason to blame the government if it's just they don't feel it would make money or they didn't feel they could get the info they needed to make it.

Yeah, maybe the gathering of research materials is the issue for ED. But why isn't it for the Mi24 or Ka50 then? The more I think about it all the less sense it makes, hence my comments on prognostication.

If a 3rd party can do a mig29 and have it in DCS, then the russian govt can't really have too much issue with it. But maybe there is something there about getting the documentation for fighters vs helos.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah, maybe the gathering of research materials is the issue for ED. But why isn't it for the Mi24 or Ka50 then? The more I think about it all the less sense it makes, hence my comments on prognostication.

If a 3rd party can do a mig29 and have it in DCS, then the russian govt can't really have too much issue with it. But maybe there is something there about getting the documentation for fighters vs helos.

Someone remember the Ka-50 was maked by the "aproval" by Kamov? and old BST build a Mi-8 from professional marker?

Edited by Silver_Dragon

Someone remember the Ka-50 was maked by the "aproval" by Kamov? and old BST build a Mi-8 from professional marker?

Yeah thats my guess, they cant get a deal with mig or Sukhoi.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yep:

OrKNCEZ.png

Wonder what let to that collaboration with Kamov back then...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Interesting comments about the new engine.

A question that springs to mind is whether that will be built in house, as a development of Edge, or a move to an off the shelf solution, eg unreal.

I don`t think they will ever work with an external engine since Wags stated that only their inhouse-engine is suitable for what they want to archive. I would say engines like Unreal, Frostbyte and so on are not made for flight sims in general and with the scale DCS has.

Beta test of the DC in 2021 was the best news for me. Yes, it seems far away but at least we know that we will get one. It took a very long time to talk ED into making this.

Wonder if something like this would save huge development time / money and free up the team to make more/finish modules. other features.

No royalties, 12 months of updates/support, all tools needed...Plus they are Russian

Has so many features that are planned, Just a few FLIR,Weather, Optimized VR...list goes on

Check out the videos on that page

Unigine 2 Sim

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Edited by MonnieRock

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

The DCS engine has come forward a lot in the last 10 years and I wouldn't imagine any off the shelf engine being able to deliver similar. Consider the size of the maps for starters.

Regarding helicopters vs multi-role fighters, I think the reasons have to do with commercial aspects and politics in Russia. Ka-50 was completed about the time the USSR collapsed and never saw mass production. (Contrast with Mi-28, any news of that coming to DCS?) Kamov had much more pressure to promote their products - there was even an action movie made in Russia where the helo starred; later they developed the Ka-52 which we probably won't see in DCS for a couple of decades. Same for other helicopters in active service. With Mi-8/17/24, we're talking a base system that's quite long in the tooth and just about everyone in the world has them now, including a few NATO countries with operational aircraft I think. Maybe the Mi-24 isn't that central in the near future of Russian armed forces and the systems haven't been that heavily upgraded.

On the other hand Mig-25, 29 and Su-27 have developed onwards with new variants and derivatives, the systems have been upgraded but in many places probably build on the past capability. The designers don't need any special promotion to the flight sim community etc because the government is buying. (The story with export possibilities might be more mixed?) I don't think we'll see ED being very forthcoming on what the real pain points are here but we have the vague idea and any details are basically more or (often) less informed speculation.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Wonder if something like this would save huge development time / money and free up the team to make more/finish modules. other features.

No royalties, 12 months of updates/support, all tools needed...Plus they are Russian

Has so many features that are planned, Just a few FLIR,Weather, Optimized VR...list goes on

Check out the videos on that page

Unigine 2 Sim

Happy Simming,

Monnie

It's been discussed before. No engine on the market is able to to what ED needs. Thats why they make their own.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.