A Status Update - May 2015

A skirt coming to below the knee is perfectly acceptable. I was referring to ones MUCH shorter than that, and it makes me shudder to think of anyone (except maybe PMan or Ells - they can do no wrong - naturally) showing large quantities of hairy thigh - or god forbid - arse!!!

Shudders at the thought of Pmans arrrrrggghhhh!!!

Anyway, with Typhoon as you can imagine we had to do a lot of research and discussions on what we could include in the public version compared to the military version.

We now have a very firm outline of what that is.

That is currently being produced into a sort of schematic project plan.

At the same time we are exploring what DCS can and can't do with regards to systems and what our team has knowledge with and what other teams have knowledge with and if we're not sure we'll reach out to our friends in other development teams for pointers and help.

We're also looking at what technology is already available; TAD, TGP, Etc. from the A-10C and what we can use changing some symbology.

Following our last trip to Conningsby we decided to completely re-model the external and internal cockpit models. The old model was one we developed for a project for the RAF back in 2009 and was not up to current DCS levels.

Once I receive the cockpit model I will implement the switch test system, as I did with Hawk which sets the foundation for the advanced system model (ASM).

This helps and aids the programmers in checking code for functions and in something like Typhoon is essential.

Hawk has over 170 switches, buttons and dials. Typhoon has many more with multiple functions in each MHDD push button for example.

So the foundation needs to be right the first time.

The base flight model (EFM) has already started to be worked on and will be tweaked once we have the model.

Animations of external and internal flight model will start when the model is complete.

One feature of the MHDD's is they change automatically based in a set of parameters; aircraft start up, taxi, take off, combat, Etc..

Again we are researching how best to implement that in DCS.

All new areas not done before in DCS...

So, when will it be out. To be honest when it's ready...my aim is by end of this year but we'll see when we start getting into systems code and the hundreds of pages for the MHDD's.

This is currently our biggest project, in line with the NH-90 for systems functionality and we can share a lot between the two aircraft.

We are also looking to see if we can create a base template for all-glass cockpit systems; unlikely but if we can it will save time in future military and public projects.

Hope that's enough of an update for you :)

Thanks,

Chris.