HSI - Course line to waypoint?

Deano87

Hey all.

I've been fiddling around with the HSI and adding my own waypoints in using Lat/Long etc. All working really nicely. To help with my understanding of this i've been reading the Natops manual and I noticed that when talking about the CRS switch it mentions that it can be used to plot a radial to not only a TACAN station but also a Waypoint.

"The course line arrow indicates the selected course to the

Waypoint or TACAN station. The course is selected using the CRS switch."

This would be quite useful for a couple of things I'm trying to do but I can't get it to work so I'm guessing its not currently working, unless i'm missing something?

Cheers

D

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Has been working . I use it regularly for extended runway interception . The crs switch held for a second or so , until the ufc lower window shows "cours" , then you have the option to enter via the ufc numberpad , or continue to hold the switch . If you use headtracking , you may wish to consider binding your keyboard numberpad to the ufc numberpad .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Just for clarity you're saying you use it against a waypoint and not a TACAN station right?

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Both , tho i mostly use waypoints

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I should mention that a courseline can only be added to the "active" waypoint AFAIK . If you add a couseline and switch waypoints , then switch back , that courseline will disappear forever-at least for me .

Ok... Well I'l give it a try later and see if I can get it working. Wonder what I'm doing wrong :/

Proud owner of:

Before setting a courseline , you must box the "wpt" with the top right osb of the hsi ddi .

Image is too low rez to see

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You should click on it, it's in 1650x1275.

Ok... Well I'l give it a try later and see if I can get it working. Wonder what I'm doing wrong :/

Like said above by others:

- click on WPT and select the WPT you want the course line for

- click and hold CRS/enter by UFC the course you want

- finished

- switching to TACAN or another WPT your course line is gone

- hitting "CRS up/down" agian you can reactivate it

Works since EA release? At least for a couple of months, so you will get it working too. :joystick::D

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

I think maybe my issue is that i'm designating the waypoint as target so it shows up in the HUD as a diamond?

Proud owner of:

Thanks for that cheat sheet fitness, super useful! any chance of a similar one for NTTR and PG? :P

I've figured out what my problem is. I was trying to use the course switch after I had designated said waypoint as target so I would get the diamond up in the HUD, clearly it doesn't work in that scenario.

Anyway if you're using it for low-vis landings I just use the radial until I'm about 10 miles out and then designate the wp as target and the diamond pops up In the hud which works well for getting myself on glideslope... as long as you input the coords correctly lol...

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

Thanks for that cheat sheet fitness, super useful! any chance of a similar one for NTTR and PG? :P

I've figured out what my problem is. I was trying to use the course switch after I had designated said waypoint as target so I would get the diamond up in the HUD, clearly it doesn't work in that scenario.

Anyway if you're using it for low-vis landings I just use the radial until I'm about 10 miles out and then designate the wp as target and the diamond pops up In the hud which works well for getting myself on glideslope... as long as you input the coords correctly lol...

Yes the co-ords for Caucasus are off of the charts. The radials work well as does the diamond...but I like following the 8 degree course deviation indicator on the HUD.

Edited by fitness88

Here is the PG. I had to get all the threshold co-ords by manually doing each runway as there are no DCS charts yet. I've tested several runways and the course line lines up.

PG quick info sheet.jpg

Backy 51 put the ICAO ident. on each airfield on the map below, cross reference the ICAO to my quick sheet.

b.jpg

1889102913_PGquickinfosheet.thumb.jpg.cb214325b90e58923af37baff5d65dc0.jpg

b.thumb.jpg.deffa9d78cd7cef7dfc2da15bcc99c3f.jpg

Edited by fitness88

Here is the PG. I had to get all the threshold co-ords by manually doing each runway as there are no DCS charts yet. I've tested several runways and the course line lines up.

PG quick info sheet.jpg

Backy 51 put the ICAO ident. on each airfield on the map below, cross reference the ICAO to my quick sheet.

b.jpg

Awesome thanks! :thumbup:

Proud owner of:

BTW I dunno if you guys know but you can change the F-18 from magnetic heading (which it defaults to) to true headings (which matches whats shown in the F10 map and what is given to you by GCIs etc) by going to the HSI hitting DATA then A/C and on that page hit MAGN HDG.

Proud owner of:

BTW I dunno if you guys know but you can change the F-18 from magnetic heading (which it defaults to) to true headings (which matches whats shown in the F10 map and what is given to you by GCIs etc) by going to the HSI hitting DATA then A/C and on that page hit MAGN HDG.

I thought true heading was only used far north and the mis-match between runway number to actual runway magnetic heading is the rounding up/down of the magnetic heading to the nearest 0 or 10

Thanks Fitness88!

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64