Sounds are too low in A-10C, what's wrong with my computer?

Ramstein

Sounds are too low in A-10C. it must be something in my setup. In Black Shark I have to turn down most sounds because they can be way too loud. But in A-10C, I have them turned al the way up and yet, they are still way to low.. I have searched for help. and none of the threads have helped..

I have an MSI P7N Nvidia (onboard sound) with 3 ghz core2duo cpu, GTX460 Nvidia video card (1 gb video ram with 256 bit) 4 gb DDR2 Ram... 500 gb of hard drive space. Windows 7 with x64.

Saitek Hotas.

Headset is logitech usb.

I use Team Speak 3, no problems with TS3 sound.

I also fly a few other flight sims and have no problem with sounds with any other apps or games, sims, etc..

What could be wrong?

thanx..

:helpsmilie:

Edited by Ramstein

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

If all sound is low, in/out of cockpit check the volume control in windows, alt tab out and see if the o/s has set the sound slider low for DCS. just left mouse click on the speaker icon in the task bar and it "should" pop up with what ever is running and its sound level

Have had a similar issue to what you describe. hope it helps

Edited by ilikepie

Action After Contemplation

Check in your TS3 add on called "volume control"...it can sometimes leave your DCSA-10C sound at very low levels....

After that check this from previous post:

"If all sound is low, in/out of cockpit check the volume control in windows, alt tab out and see if the o/s has set the sound slider low for DCS. just left mouse click on the speaker icon in the task bar and it "should" pop up with what ever is running and its sound level"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

I worked around A-10 on active duty (but wasn't a pilot) and can say for certain, they make lots of noise, a unique sound of the turbo fans that can be hears from a long distance.... it s high whinny noise, instead of the sound of the flaming exhaust, you hear the huge turbofans.. I am not getting the sounds... I have them cranked up...

there must be some type of sound setting in some file that is only screwy in A-10C...

guess I will keep looking... it bugs the hell out of me when I can't hear the engines while I fly...

even in external I can barely hear them.. almost can't..

:cry:

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

BINGO !

this was it... I went out to the icon and found that indeed my

A-10C sound was indeed turned all the way down..

I turned it up and Whamo, it's up high where I want it to be, and now I can start tuning it.

I don't understand why this only happens in A-10C and not other flight sims..

Why does this act like a default and lowers itself??

I set everything int he control menu on high, yet it goes and puts the A-10C sound on low without my permission,,, what causes this??

thanx..

and Thank all of you guys, you guys have always been great help..

:thumbup:

Check in your TS3 add on called "volume control"...it can sometimes leave your DCSA-10C sound at very low levels....

After that check this from previous post:

"If all sound is low, in/out of cockpit check the volume control in windows, alt tab out and see if the o/s has set the sound slider low for DCS. just left mouse click on the speaker icon in the task bar and it "should" pop up with what ever is running and its sound level"

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

I don't understand why this only happens in A-10C and not other flight sims..

Why does this act like a default and lowers itself??

I know it doesn't help you much, but this has never happened to me!

Are you sure you didn't lower it yourself once? Windows keeps track of the volume you set each app too even if you close it and reload it. Hopefully now that you've increased it again it'll stick.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
realistic wise you would hardly hear anything incockpit , very little noise incockpit.

only radio and oxygen supply.

this is a f15 as well with full afterburner ,

Ahhh ok, I was wondering this too, I just loaded a whole lot of your sound mods and the A-10c engine is very soft compared to the vanilla one. But if you say its more realistic I will stick with it.

Edit: But omg its so so much better with your mods mate, damn....good job.

Edited by Nevyn

As posted earlier in the thread, the noise level in the cockpit at MAX power is about 80 decibels. I'm not sure where the notion comes from that it's quiet inside of an uninsulated fighter aircraft cockpit? There's a reason why pilots wear earplugs under their helmets.

I'd rather that DCS simulate the sound environment as it actually exists, i.e. without any artificial attenuation. If I want to simulate what it sounds like with a helmet and earplugs on, I'll wear a helmet and earplugs (or turn the sliders down).

Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if we could actually route helmet sounds (VMS, Sidewinder, radios) to headsets, while other sounds - including the engines - go to the speakers.

There's a reason why pilots wear earplugs under their helmets.

A lot of our pilots in my squadron didn't. I didn't when I got my rides in the 15. It wasn't that loud. Most of the noise is from the air coming from the ECS ducts. The airliners I've flown over the last few years are louder than a 15 cockpit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Chris

Hey,

Wind noise is a bitch. The CRJ is pretty loud in cruise because of it. I remember how comparatively quiet it was the first time I sat in the jumpseat of a 767. I felt silly wearing my big David Clarks, when the widebody guys were wearing these dainty single-earphone joints.

ECS noise is a huge contributor too. Something not simulated in DCS at all, unfortunately.

Nonetheless, the A-10 powerplant manual gives the TF34 noise "splat" diagram, and mentions that the measured sound level in the cockpit is 80db.

Hey,

Wind noise is a bitch. The CRJ is pretty loud in cruise because of it. I remember how comparatively quiet it was the first time I sat in the jumpseat of a 767. I felt silly wearing my big David Clarks, when the widebody guys were wearing these dainty single-earphone joints.

ECS noise is a huge contributor too. Something not simulated in DCS at all, unfortunately.

Nonetheless, the A-10 powerplant manual gives the TF34 noise "splat" diagram, and mentions that the measured sound level in the cockpit is 80db.

HAAAA!!! I flew the Embraer THAT MOFO was loud as hell. Now I'm fly the 80 and I can't even hear the motors. It makes a lot of noise on the take off from the wind going across the windows, but we can talk to each other w/o intercom.

Who do you fly for?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Chris

A lot of our pilots in my squadron didn't. I didn't when I got my rides in the 15. It wasn't that loud.

I can't remember the last time I saw an A-10 pilot not put foamies in their ears before putting their helmet on. Our pilots must follow the rules more ;)

80dB is not that loud actually. In fact, the fortissimo of a classically sized symphony orchestra is 20dB louder. Dosage does play an important part though, being subjected to 80dB for a few hours per day will have a measureable impact on hearing. I'd certainly recommend wearing earplugs in that situation to reduce the dosage.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

HAAAA!!! I flew the Embraer THAT MOFO was loud as hell. Now I'm fly the 80 and I can't even hear the motors. It makes a lot of noise on the take off from the wind going across the windows, but we can talk to each other w/o intercom.

Who do you fly for?

Old school Super 80 (AA), or the 88 (DL)? I spent a lot of time in the jumpseat of the 88 commuting to and from IAD. Sweet machine! And like you said, barely any engine noise. It made taxiing seem weird because you had to look at the engine instruments for feedback. That and the amount of noise and vibration from the brakes.

Check your PMs.

I agree that this would be sweet. I wrote this enhancement up during beta. I hope they take the time to do it one day. I suspect it wouldn't be difficult to achieve considering the windows audio framework.

Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if we could actually route helmet sounds (VMS, Sidewinder, radios) to headsets, while other sounds - including the engines - go to the speakers.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

realistic wise you would hardly hear anything incockpit , very little noise incockpit.

While a cool video, that microphone is not recording ambient cockpit noise. It has been tied into the audio system of the avionics. What little ambient noise can be heard is being picked up by the crew's microphones.

Win 10 64bit; 32 GB DDR4 3200 Ram; ASUS MoBo; 1TB SSD;Intel i7 8700K; GTX 1080ti 11GB; Thrustmaster Warthog;Odyssey + VR

Sooo I am an advocate of more engine noise too. It might not be what the pilot hears but he also has the "feel" of the engines.

My Buddy is ops officer for an adversary squadron that flies both F5s and F18 Charlies. He flew in the Gulf war and still flies on a regular bases. I asked him about cockpit noise.

First speaking of the F5:

"I don't wear earplugs but the helmet does a good job of muffling all the engine noise especially once the canopy is closed. The thing that makes the most noise are the generators. As soon as you secure those things the jet almost sounds like it's not running. I agree with your feedback of the engine noise for sensory stimulation. I think the old hornet sims (he is talking at the base not on his personal computer) I used to fly were accompanied by slight engine noise if I recall correctly. Not sure if the newer ones do or not."

Me personally:

Personally I have spent time on several carriers underway as a PC. Including time out on the active flight deck and by the LSO station. Ear plugs a must.

Last out on the Nimitz my stateroom was right under the catapult.... Now that is one noisy place - after a few days though you do not notice it....much.

Fight to fly, fly to fight, fight to win.

Callsign: Need

Shu-Ha-Ri

• 5 years later...
While a cool video, that microphone is not recording ambient cockpit noise. It has been tied into the audio system of the avionics. What little ambient noise can be heard is being picked up by the crew's microphones.

Good night

I am observing that the sounds related to brakes, aero brakes, flaps, landing gear, etc. are practically inaudible in the cabin, both open and closed. listen to the rest. Someone in the forum has made some modification of the sdef file (raising the gain value) that allows you to listen to the sounds mentioned above.

I would appreciate any input or advice in this regard since the current sounds of flaps, air brakes etc are very unrealistic.

Thanks in advance.

Good night

I am observing that the sounds related to brakes, aero brakes, flaps, landing gear, etc. are practically inaudible in the cabin, both open and closed. listen to the rest. Someone in the forum has made some modification of the sdef file (raising the gain value) that allows you to listen to the sounds mentioned above.

I would appreciate any input or advice in this regard since the current sounds of flaps, air brakes etc are very unrealistic.

Thanks in advance.