VR-friendly comms menu?

fael097

I can't believe we still don't have something like this, so here we go:

It's pretty much impossible to reach out for the keyboard and find the F buttons assigned to radio communication while in VR.

Why not have a vr friendly menu with only 3 or 4 (or even 2?!) commands, easily assignable to say a hat switch?

Button 1: Open comms menu/selects highlighted option

Button 2: Highlights next option

OR

Button 3: Highlights previous option

OR

Button 1: Open/close comms menu

Button 4: Selects highlighted option.

I mean, something terribly simple, just so you can navigate the menu instead of selecting an option from Twelve(!!) shortcuts, or point and clicking.

There's already an assignable Command to open/close the menu, and each module has their own radio shortcuts, so just moving up/down and selecting would be incredibly useful.

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks this is a must and that this is considered.

Cheers

• Like 6

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

You know you can Click the comm menu ?? That's how it do it.

It is kind of bugged if you check the 'use mouse' options. But it works fine without.

If anything I would like a rose like jester that you can use with just a single button and look at the required options

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I can't believe we still don't have something like this, so here we go:

It's pretty much impossible to reach out for the keyboard and find the F buttons assigned to radio communication while in VR.

Why not have a vr friendly menu with only 3 or 4 (or even 2?!) commands, easily assignable to say a hat switch?

OR

OR

Button 1: Open/close comms menu

Button 4: Selects highlighted option.

I mean, something terribly simple, just so you can navigate the menu instead of selecting an option from Twelve(!!) shortcuts, or point and clicking.

There's already an assignable Command to open/close the menu, and each module has their own radio shortcuts, so just moving up/down and selecting would be incredibly useful.

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks this is a must and that this is considered.

Cheers

Voice Attack with VIACOM Pro addon works best.

System: MSI Z370 | i7 8700K | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 2080Ti | TM Warthog | Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | SA342 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | F-5E | A-10C | M-2000C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-14 | C-101 | F-86F | MiG-21 | MiG-19P | MiG-15 | F-16C | JF-17 | L-39 | Mi-8MTV2 | KA-50 | Christen Eagle II | Yak-52 | Bf 109 K-4 | NTTR | Normandie | Persian Gulf | The Channel

Although there could be 3rd party alternatives, a fully “VR centric UX design” is very much needed at least as an option.

ED is doing a good job on VR front, but this little handy detail is still worth some serious consideration IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

SWE-Timberwolf said:
Voice Attack with VIACOM Pro addon works best.

Many of us can't use voice attack as we can only play DCS when the missus and kids are asleep 😉

I really support the OP!

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 3

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

At least with a decent mic , (my CVI or Razer headset for example) you don't have a to scream to use Voiceattack . A normal conversational level or even less works quite well . And losing the menus gives greater immersion . I am not arguing against the expressed menu changes , rather pointing those two facts out for those who might be interested in VA/VP .

• Like 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I'd like to be able to position the comms menu, because I use look to click in the cockpit when in VR and the comms menu is a little too high, I'd prefer it be lower, but making it user adjustable to people's liking would be best

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

I have been finding lately every now and then the mouse dot has no reaction on the comms menu at all - so you can't select any comms options in VR (can't reach keyboard). Just have to quit the mission back to main menu and try again. Pretty annoying!

Have tried to make a VA command saying "Option 1" Option 2" etc. But sometime VA just closes for no reason too....DCS is sent to test us...

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 years later...
On 1/7/2023 at 6:47 PM, Nomatic said:

With the core enhancements coming, I agree. This needs to be updated. Comms in VR sucks atm. 

Yep, even just few shortcuts:

Comms menu Up, Comms menu Down, Comms menu Select, maybe Comms menu Back. Add a highlight for the currently selected option and it's done.

But there may be some dark deep hacks in the code if the comms F keys aren't even assignable, plus they override regular F key assignments, which is something that isn't even possible elsewhere in DCS.

Another thing that's related in VR is the abysmal mouse behaviour, and how the white dot mouse appears with the comms menu, and how it's in different position than the regular cross mouse.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I really would like to see some progress here for us VR users. Now I have to release my grip on the stick, find the mouse and find the "white dot" against white clouds. And if I'm supposed to manage a couple of flights it is really hard to do.

For VoiceAttack we have to remember those who don't have English as their native language.

Although we could all argue about the best menu type (jester like or not), I think a quick key binding allowing you to move up and down the menus and select as the OP suggested would be a nice quick fix for us late night VR users.

AMD 7900x3D | Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | 64GB DC DDR5 6400 Ram | MSI Suprim RTX 4090 Liquid X | 2 x Kingston Fury 4TB Gen4 NVME | Corsair HX1500i PSU | NZXT H7 Flow | Liquid Cooled CPU & GPU | HP Reverb G2 | LG 48" 4K OLED | Winwing HOTAS

You are all massively overthinking this.  All you need is to map LMB, and keep the mouse cursor locked to the VR cursor.  Then just glance up, and click the option.  Takes literally no time, no mouse interaction, no effort.  I've been playing VR for 4+ years, and not once needed to use the mouse.  The menu system works much better than Jester IMHO.  

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

15 minutes ago, Lace said:

You are all massively overthinking this.  All you need is to map LMB, and keep the mouse cursor locked to the VR cursor.  Then just glance up, and click the option.  Takes literally no time, no mouse interaction, no effort.  I've been playing VR for 4+ years, and not once needed to use the mouse.  The menu system works much better than Jester IMHO.  

No thank you 😅

I don't like this "look-n-click" option at all. Maybe my head is just too shaky to click those tiny switches and radio menu text in VR, but no, for me that's definitely not a good alternative. (oh, and as someone using Pointctrl, I also hardly ever use the mouse 😉)

That said, since my last post in this thread (few posts up), I did gave in to the VA/VAICOM option and try it. To my surprise the voice detection was/is so good, I can even whisper and it'll still recognize my commands (ideal for those like me who sometimes have to play DCS in silence, not to wake up kids).

Since VAICOM is now freeware, there's really no reason anymore not to give it a try. And, obviously, it's the most "hands free" option to operate the radio menu.

The only true improvement, would be that ED would somehow integrate VAICOM functionality in its core game.

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting ready soon to try a one-handed keyboard (liked Razed Tartarus V2 Pro) for my left hand and binding some keys to Fs.  I am assuming someone in the Community has attempted this in VR? 

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon