Welcome C-101EB

Borin

After several months of testing, the vJaBoG 66 ceremonially introduced the C-101EB into the squadron.

vJaBoG66? We are currently a wing of 13 very enthusiastic virtual pilots from Germany and Austria that tries to fly as realistic as possible. We started our journey 2016 and were always looking for a trainer aircraft, but unfortunately no DCS module convinced us at that time. One disappeared from the DCS shop and one unfortunately has eastern avionics which, for us, is more of a hurdle.

1.png.e0d5c414714fe3b6c4990470f89c57d1.png

Since April 22nd 2019 we have been flying and testing the C-101EB as part of our “Test & Evaluation” squadron. It is important to us that we introduce a fully functional module (i.e. all major problems should be resolved as far as possible) and that we gain experience in a structured manner. Thus a whole squadron just for test flights. After working out a corresponding test structure, the first flight took off from Groom Lake, as we think this is great airspace for test flights.

2.thumb.jpg.ed8f96afd5bc2f6924199209f4602ec5.jpg

The startup procedure, taxi behavior, synchronization, take-off and landing speeds were tested. The first flight gave us important information as to whether our performance calculations (speeds, fuel consumption, etc.) from our own tool fit the simulation.

On the second flight, Rakuzard and I tested emergency procedures and stalls.

3.png.11ec4eec72447031b2ccbedd3506a6e7.png

The third flight had two main topics, one of which was: grilling the engine. It is fun to take care of not flying the engine above its limits! Even flying above the limits was a lot of fun ;-)

The second topic was the flameout pattern and gliding distances. These little wings can glide so far! It was fun and really satisfying to glide for 30 NM and then put her down ever so softly from a flameout approach.

We took quite a long break after that, because we noticed some synchronisation issues, mainly with the HSI. After waiting for updates from Aviodev and reading all patch notes we resumed the test flights in March this year, to find that the HSI is now more or less synchronized. The only issue remaining is that if the front cockpit changes the TACAN station, the HSI readouts in the rear cockpit remain on the station that was set before. But we can work around this in our training.

4.thumb.jpg.43a406d83ff589da0866d1ad738ff70f.jpg

Next up were the remainder of the emergency procedures. We took the time to translate the original E-25 emergency procedures from Spanish to English. Phew!

Apart from takeoff arborts, the emergency speed brake retract, the manual aileron mode an many engine restarts, the most fun part were generator failures. Take all DC equipment off the line and the battery will last rather long, but as soon as DC equipment is online you can almost watch the needle on the voltmeter go down - cool!

The last flights consisted of formation work. Finding sight pictures, working out a rejoin speeds as well as overhead break and VMC drag parameters. And, of course, getting familiar with how she handles in a formation. She’s a handful. If you can keep her steady on station, then you won’t have problems with other airframes.

5.thumb.png.1f9d2504bcbd35cf584874b67c197717.png

After this, all that was left was paper work. We needed to adjust our SOP, found a dedicated training squadron, create a livery and teach our IPs that were not part of the test and evaluation.

Finally, we transferred both airframes from Groom Lake to Nellis (our homebase) and arrived there with the last light of the day for an overhead break, with the rest of our squadron watching.

6.thumb.jpg.5739eff3fb4270646890eef783718005.jpg

Thank you AvioDev for this great module. As of today, all our trainees will be trained on the C-101EB! We are looking forward to the future!

Edited by Borin

Next up were the remainder of the emergency procedures. We took the time to translate the original E-25 emergency procedures from Spanish to English. Phew!

Thanks for sharing your impressions, I enjoyed reading them. I’d love to see your translated emergency procedures :thumbup: As it is a subject that I like, I even edited a couple of missions to practice emergencies in solo flight, as I don’t do multiplayer:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3307050/

:thumbup:

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB