F-14 Throttle

Mich Mich

Hi Gents,

While on the wait for my new joystick (a TM Warthog and a Virpil grip), I came across some AAR vids. In the comments, I fell on a ThrottleTek guy who said he actually builds Tomcat throttle quadrants.

I contacted him, and price for a quadrant is 1400$, shipping included

Did any of you guys hear of this? Is there anyone else who makes Tomcat quadrants?

Hi Gents,

While on the wait for my new joystick (a TM Warthog and a Virpil grip), I came across some AAR vids. In the comments, I fell on a ThrottleTek guy who said he actually builds Tomcat throttle quadrants.

I contacted him, and price for a quadrant is 1400$, shipping included

Did any of you guys hear of this? Is there anyone else who makes Tomcat quadrants?

As the person who commissioned them to make it more than a few moons ago, I can tell you only that I paid a little less, but no matter what price is charged, it falls apart a whole lot quicker than you would think unless they are using more durable materials than mine was made from. I personally was not happy with the entire experience with them, but it may have been this that bled through. Anyway, I never even got off the ground with it, and it sits in a box waiting for me to take it apart and put it back together with stronger makings. Who knows when or if that will ever happen? I can only speak of my experience with them, I liked the guy, but they kept wanting to make shortcuts around key "F-14 Throttle" identifiers which defeated the purpose of having one made. I have no idea of the quality of their other items, they look much sturdier in any case, but I did not want a civilian throttle in a puddy-tat.

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah saw that guy post somewhere recently (Reddit?) and linked to Youtube. For that much money, it should have auto throttle and be powered and talk to DCS Bios or something like that, but he said it doesn't do either). Looks cool, but yeah no.

I was hoping someone would do the throttles in Blender or something so I could 3d print them. Someone did the stick but both VKB and Virpil already have sticks. At this point, I kinda want F-14D versions more than F-14A since there's a few more controls...

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

I was hoping someone would do the throttles in Blender or something so I could 3d print them.

That wouldn't work. You could 3D print a set of throttles that had a very similar functionality to the Tomcat ones but apart from the grips the mechanism would have to be very different.

3D printing is great but it produces parts which just don't have enough mechanical strength or wear resistance for many applications.

The grips though, they are a candidate for printing.

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

You can investment cast off PLA.

That'll be the path I'm going to take for some of my throttle parts.

1400$?

You can buy fully functional pre owned car instead.

It's difficult to mount a car in a simpit though.... :D

It's difficult to mount a car in a simpit though.... :D

You do it opposite, cast the simpit in the car. Now you can move to own location and fly in peace....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yeah I was considering the f18 version for a while, glad I didn't pull the trigger on it given this review.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I was going to try and buy a busted X-55 throttle and slowly mod it into F-14 throttles, ended up with an X-56 instead.

I'm still considering ways to one bit at a time upgrade the X-56 into a franken throttle, to include completely new replica F-14 grips, replace the buttons, and eventually new sensors and have the whole thing running on a whole new USB controller.

I've wondered if Heatblur would be able to export some of the cockpit part meshes to commonly available 3d formats, that could be manipulated, split open, and 3d printed to allow for "drop-in" conversions of existing throttles like the Warthog or X-56.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

• 2 weeks later...

F-14D Throttle Grip Blender Model

I am currently in the process of updating my Logitech G-940 throttle by adding grips modeled on the F-14D throttle grip. The drawing used to create the model was from the "Mason Throttlegrips.pdf. The model was created in Blender and I have printed everything in PETG. (see Attachments) I've elected to use Leobodnar 5 way hat switches in each switch position on the grips and a DPDT momentary toggle switch on the LH grip for lights. In addition, I have replaced all of the 8 push button switches on the base, 6 DPDT momentary switches and two rotary encoders. With a basic understanding of Blender it is possible to adapt the stl model to any base you might have. I have included photos of my current progress with the grips and a 3D model in stl format.

20200121_065506.jpg.d055cd0150c74b9cb87a79d99fca9764.jpg

20200121_065524.jpg.e21cf48f563d8af5d7ab62ca39941153.jpg

20200121_065656.jpg.67983da7a8dd8c5c4da3f0cb96b172b0.jpg

F-14D Throttle stl.zip

Nice. What scale or dimensions is it supposed to be? STL opens at 3.4mm in Cura. If I put it 1000x it still seems kinda small.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

F-14 Throttle

Scale is 1 /1 and in accordance with a drawing from Mason throttle grips. This is the same drawing packet posted by PUNK on another F-14 throttle thread. I've had this drawing for about 5 years but only recently purchased a 3D printer and learned Blender. Grip measurements are 3.25 inches across LH to RH, 3.38 inches along long axis when looking at the thumb switches on RH grip.

MASON throttlegrips.pdf

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Yes, I've scrapped the Logitech G940 and built my own base for the throttle.

This model has the capability of 12 axis, (I use only 4) and 72 switch functions.

I've been using it with DCS for over a year without any difficulties.

This new version has the following features;

The four axis available are Flaps, throttle 1, throttle 2, and wing Sweep(currently not used).

The guarded switches and the 4 push buttons have only one function each.

Each dial is an encoder, and all other switches are double pole double throw switches.

Additionally, throttle 1 has 10 switch functions and throttle 2 has 25 switch functions.

Tomcat Throttle.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome, would love to see your design plans.

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide