Real life Hornet Grip Material?

memoric

#2 post. Do you know Lex is a real Hornet pilot?

Yeah and why does that matter? I got the answer to my question. I'm grateful non the less! Even better when it comes from a real pilot :)!

Edited by memoric

Yeah and why does that matter? I got the answer to my question. I'm grateful non the less! Even better when it comes from a real pilot :)!

It matters because you said you want the grip like the real one and Lex told you the real one is made from plastic. The fact that some Chinese company made one from metal doesn't matter. They got it wrong.

Buzz

It's sad, because winwings HOTAS is made of metal, was hoping for an acurrate copy of the real one... so :/

Due to the metal is better because it is metal and the more heavier equals more better retardation of a large portion of potential buyers this is a reasonable decision.

Doesn't matter what the stick is made from, it's not gonna experience high G's anyway.

+1

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

Being made of polymer does not mean is gonna have the same weight or touch of the real one. I'm curious how much is going to weight the TM grip.. can't imagine with the same weight than the T-50 which feels like a toy compared with the Warthog.

Real life Hornet Grip Material?

I’d rather have some metal in my stick (replica or not) than some cheap plastics that look like the same materials from kiddie water guns that you get from Toys R Us. I current own several sticks and most of them gave me that feeling on the first impression (not gonna be specific here since it might hit some nerves). Yeah they work fine but they don’t feel premium.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Polymer is fine....but I'd suggest a glock lower frame/real f18 stick is a quality mould that is either one piece or parts that are joined effectively. Problems with Polymer sim grips (eg Virpil) are that they are just too flimsy. You can feel the seperate parts bending/creaking under your (two finger) grip. Superglue should not be a requirement to get a solid immersive feel.

Metal seems to resolve that......at least until a gaming manufacturer can produce a High quality Polymer that can cope with a little pressure.

High quality polymer plastics are abundantly available to the manufacturing sector and easy to mould/shape accurately, with an incredibly high surface finish. I don't understand why the "proposed" TM grip or the Winwing grip is made of metal - it has the wrong feel, will likely be unnecessarily heavy and I guess is more expensive to manufacture and hence sell. I don't get it but I, for one, would MUCH prefer a quality polymer/plastic grip.

Agree. We're supposed to be a sim market and the real stick is made out of plastic. Why not get a high quality polymer stick? If the stick is good and durable enough to be used in a real combat aircraft, it's certainly durable enough to be used on a desk or a simpit.

One thing to note though is that a stick lighter than the Warthog will probably require even more force to be used with the Warthog base, because of the strong springs. If that's their reasoning, I can't really fault it, although they could still add metal weights inside a polymer shell.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I think the reason metal grips are used in the sim world is that the forces exerted at the base are much higher if you aren't using an extension. As the real aircraft always use 'extensions' there is no need for the grip to be made of metal.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

I think the reason metal grips are used in the sim world is that the forces exerted at the base are much higher if you aren't using an extension. As the real aircraft always use 'extensions' there is no need for the grip to be made of metal.

That makes no sense. The stick in a real Hornet, for example, weighs about 35 pounds at max deflection. Your home PC joystick is probably no more than 2 or 3.

There is no reason to make it out of anything else. Why would you use metal?

Metal = quality, if heavy = high quality, plastic = toy, not realistic.:megalol:

ps. F18 can take off from the boat with no catapult and with wings folded in this game.

Edited by mdee