Forum Title

MrDieing

I know 'Viper' is a very commonly used nickname for the F-16, much more common then the official name 'Fighting Falcon'. But every time I see DCS: F-16C Viper it just feels weird. Any more votes to change the name to DCS: F-16C Fighting Falcon?

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Honestly, I don't really care whether they use Viper or Fighting Falcon - I always just call it the Viper.

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

Like the Warthog, I mean, Thunderbolt II?

Im a fan of the Fighting Falcon name too, but Im really not bothered by it being called Viper as forum title.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

+1 For fighting falcon

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Guys really?!

Viper vs. Fighting Falcon

Why not make a poll about it?! :lol:

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

There is nothing wrong with Viper. Just the combination of F-16C Viper that feels unnatural to me. Fair points on the Hog though. Not sure what ED's decision-making or policy on this is.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

It may well say Fighting Falcon on the paperwork but everybody involved in the aircraft calls it the Viper.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Ive always thought the Falcon name was quite fitting though, and it wasnt until I roamed the halls of DCS, that I came across the Viper name. Initially I thought some of the later blocks were called Viper.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

+1 For Fighting Falcon

For me, the Viper refers to F-16V :

F-16V

At the 2012 Singapore Air Show Lockheed Martin unveiled plans for the new F-16V variant with the V suffix for its Viper nickname. It is to feature an AN/APG-83 active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar, a new mission computer and electronic warfare suite, automated ground collision avoidance system, and various cockpit improvements; this package is an option on current production F-16s and can be retrofitted to most in service F-16s.

First flight took place 21 October 2015. Upgrades to Taiwan's F-16 fleet began in January 2017. The first country to confirm the purchase of 16 new F-16V Block 70/72 was Bahrain. Slovakia announced on 11 July 2018 that it intends to purchase 14 F-16 Block 70/72 aircraft.

Lockheed Martin has redesignated the F-16V Block 70 as the "F-21" in its offering for India's fighter requirement.Taiwan announced on 19 March 2019 that it formally requested the purchase of an additional 66 F-16V jets.

Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16_Fighting_Falcon

Edited by Cthulhus

Specs: Win10 64bits Pro, Intel i9-9900K | 32Go | RTX 2080 Ti | M.2 SSD 850go x2

Hardware: HTC Vive Pro + X56

Maps : Normandy + Assets | Gulf | Nevada

DCS Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | A-10C | F/A-18C | Ka-50 | SuperCarrier | F-14A/B | F-5E | F-86F Sabre | MiG-15bis | Mig-19 | MiG-21bis | AV-8B | Fw 190 D-9 | SA342 | P-51D | Bf 109 K-4 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | M-2000C | F-16C

AFAIK RL Viper pilots call it the Viper.

None of them call it the Fighting Falcon or Falcon.

I am well aware most (I assume USAF) pilots call it the Viper. Its however an unofficial nickname that has been used so much that people seem to think its the official name, while its really not. As someone on the previous page said, I won't sleep loose over it, its just something that seems off and I was wondering if more people felt this way.

Erich Fromm

This! Everyone in the Viper community calls it the Viper.

Everyone in the A-10C community calls it the Warthog or just Hog.

Been part of both!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus MOBO||Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core, 24 Thread Processor || MSI GTX 1070Ti 8GB GPU OverClocked || 32GB GSKILL DDR4 RAM @3600 || Samsung 1TB SSD || Samsung 250GB SSD || WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD || WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD || Thermaltake ToughPower GF1 850W PS || Thermaltake Tower || Windows 10 Pro 64bit || Thrustmaster Warthog and Cougar sticks, throttles and MFDs || Saitek Rudder Pedals || Trackir 5 ||

What about Fighting Falcon pilots then? :P

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I've never seen anyone complaining about the A-10Cs Forum name being Warthog instead of Thunderbolt II. Why now here? :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

In case of an upcoming poll you should consider my favorite option - I couldn't care less.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Viper is shorter and easier to remember. However!!! A fighting falcon eats Vipers IRL sooooo....

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p