RIO can click pilot buttons

viper2097

We are making a very big systemic change to the codebase to disallow this in a future update

Looking forward to that!

Does that also apply to RIO keybinds being available to the pilot? I hope so.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
We are making a very big systemic change to the codebase to disallow this in a future update, but it's still in an experimental branch and needs to go through more QA before we merge it into release.

I'm all for improvements, and also fixes to prevent misuse/cheating with a module to gain advantage, but I have an uneasy feeling about this...

As it stands, while the module is still in EA, I'm making extensive use of custom 'default.lua' input files for both the pilot & RIO.

These files include a vast number of, as yet, unimplemented key binds and switch abstractions fielded from the 'çlickabledata.lua' to make the F-14 much more complete for use with hotas and controller setups (see link to forum post for an example of such a file)...I do this for pretty much every module I own as most, if not all, are missing key/button binds in some way or another. I'm not the only one either, there are numerous threads and examples across the forums, throughout the years, where this ability has come to the rescue for many a user...

I'm very concerned that these changes will block the use of, and equally worrisome, cause a multiplayer IC failure for custom 'default.lua' files for those that wish to build their own set of inputs and switch abstractions for simpits, button boxes & modules that do not have complete/comprehensive input assignments, etc.

Cobra, will this be the case with these new changes? Also, if so, will these new changes be a system-wide implementation for DCS as a whole, covering every module/input file?

I hope not, but if both of these are to be true I fear it will be a very very bad day for simpit/button box builders, or anyone who has added unimplemented key binds to a module make up for what's missing in the files :cry:

EDIT: More forum examples (including F-14) of where this ability has helped myself and others in a completely benign and honest way...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=235229&page=14

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3877480&postcount=118

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=209540

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89226

http://forums.eagle.ru:8080/showthread.php?t=171309

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=151166

Apologies if I'm running away with the idea...but blocking of custom input files will have a significant and serious negative impact on my DCS experience as a whole, and I'm more than a little concerned.

For example, see my sig below...much of the gear that I've poured months of design/money/building into will potentially be rendered moot if custom default.lua's are to be stopped...

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

Will this break the workaround mod that allows the TGP to be used from the front seat, in light of Jester not being able to use the TGP?

It should break them, yes, as this is not intended behaviour. Jester will get the ability to use the TGP.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes

That is bad bad news for me :(. Being able to manage some system from the front cockpit is one of the best ways to deal with the limitations of a virtual RIO. When I modify the keybindings I manage to do things like being able to control the radar azimuth/elevation axis from the front cockpit, aim the LANTIRN, or start lasing as soon as releasing a GBU. With the keybinding mod, I manage to do things almost as if I had a human RIO, still not the same but way better than Jester (for this particular things at least).

I don't imagine how I would be able to tell Jester to lase a bridge or a command center and if so, doing it in an agile way.

Jester is fine on a lot of aspects, and you made a great work with the implementation of the Jester menu, entering waypoints, etc, but things like aiming the LANTIRN or radar azimuth/elevation are things that you need to be able to manage from the front cockpit when no human RIO is available, especially in multiplayer where I can't even sit on the rear cockpit.

What is the essential difference between hitting a button on my keyboard to tell Jester hit a button on the rear cockpit than hitting that button directly myself? Logically there is none. Asking Jester things like to set the radar elevation to 45° via the Jester menu is impractical. One solution (sort of, because I would not have the sensitivity of an axis) may be to add the keybinding to ask jester for certain things, but again, if we are going to that, why not just manage it myself directly from the front cockpit.

In my opinion, I should have the possibility to hit all the buttons of the rear cockpit from the front and have Jester as an extra aid. Maybe, when having a human RIO that capability gest disabled. Some people with just use Jester, others may do a mix of both.

For me, if this is unavailable, this will make the Tomcat useless in MP when no RIO available.

I may sound harsh, but I am trying to be constructive here.

Edited by mikel.132

Interl i7 6700k - 32Gb RAM DDR4 - RX 590 8GB - Sentey 32"2560x1440 - Saitek X-55 - TrackIr 3

What is the essential difference between hitting a button on my keyboard to tell Jester hit a button on the rear cockpit than hitting that button directly myself? Logically there is none. Asking Jester things like to set the radar elevation to 45° via the Jester menu is impractical. One solution (sort of, because I would not have the sensitivity of an axis) may be to add the keybinding to ask jester for certain things, but again, if we are going to that, why not just manage it myself directly from the front cockpit.

There's just this difference - for things you cannot do as a pilot you ask RIO to do. That's how multicrew works. You're asking for things that are not possible IRL. We don't care if you do this in SP but in MP that is simply a cheat. You can bind keys to tell RIO stuff or use VoiceAttack to tell him yourself but soloing the whole aircraft (however bad we want it) is just nonsense and you're not supposed to be any decent in combat without RIO in the backseat.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

As draconus said, this is the very difference. RIO functions are not available to the Pilot, so if he wants a specific action being done in the rear cockpit the Pilot has to ask the RIO to do it. The pilot just can't access these controls.

Now using keybinds for Jester commands is totally fine, as you are still asking him to do something that way.

Tornado3 small.jpg