Status? Worth it?

Emilio_Ger

IMO, the 430 would be an auto buy for many if:

- the radios actually worked

- the pop up overlay that’s available for monitor users was available in VR

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 1 month later...

I'm using the original Pilot Guide document from Garmin as a reference, and I find that there are missing functionalities. For example, when you are panning on a map page: "...When the target pointer is placed on an object, the name of that object is highlighted (even if the name wasn’t originally displayed on the map). This feature applies to airports, NAVAIDS, user-created waypoints..." The selected object can be used to define a "direct-to" waypoint.

To me this is an important feature and it's not there. Yes, I can work around it but I have paid good money for a truthful simulation, and it's not quite there. I have found other gaps, and I have only started.

Hopefully ED will have the energy to complete the job.

To explain where I'm coming from: I fly occasionally with a friend who has a PPL, and the aircrafts are equipped with the GNS430. And I want to use the sim to learn using the GPS when we go out for a flight. Just reading the manual does not make me proficient.

So, is it worth the investment? I'm not sure (yet)

• Like 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...
Seriously? People complaining about a few bucks for wire integration into their favorite aircrafts, come on guys.

It's ok, but what if ...

... you're buying the NS430 to add VHF/UHF radios to a warbird or Russian aircraft only to find they don't work.

... or find the given course is a few degrees off in the Caucasus map

... or you find a bug and get no feedback

Is it worth a few bucks or should you wait until it's finished?

IMHO, asking others what the status of the module is and if it's worth buying, is a sensible question, before making an informed purchase (or not).

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

It's ok, but what if ...

... you're buying the NS430 to add VHF/UHF radios to a warbird or Russian aircraft only to find they don't work.

... or find the given course is a few degrees off in the Caucasus map

... or you find a bug and get no feedback

Is it worth a few bucks or should you wait until it's finished?

IMHO, asking others what the status of the module is and if it's worth buying, is a sensible question, before making an informed purchase (or not).

Yes but is it still in beta?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

Status? Worth it?

I do not think it is worth it.

Sure, it is cheap, but I just don't use it. There are two main reasons.

For the 3D version in the L-39, only fitted in the C-version (not the ZA-version, which is the version I fly). And, even in the L-39C, it is front-cockpit only, defeating the idea of having a dedicated navigator for multi-crew.

However, the most significant for me is that the pop-up version suffers from a horrible bug, namely the reflections under hazy conditions (i.e. exactly when you'd want a GPS because visibility is low). Ref: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=230449

Yes but is it still in beta?

A quick look at the Store Page will show that it is not in Early Access or Beta. Ref:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/ns430_l39/

I use it in the Mi-8... I guess its in the L39 too for VR.

ED needs to figure this out. Would love it in the mig21. duct taped to the front right corner of the cockpit :) and the huey.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I've been using the NS430 enough lately to learn it and have to concede, it's actual usefulness is somewhat limited. Not due to module shortcomings, but just because it doesn't really provide anything all that special. I can dead reckon and landmark navigate without it, so its really only useful if you're flying at night, or need to drop waypoints on the fly in a crude aircraft that lacks such capability.

I dunno. Imo, the module is fine, and it's kind of an interesting doohickey, but once the novelty wore off I kinda quit using it. That's just my humble opinion.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 1 year later...

Hello guys,

Any update on this ? Are the radios working now and synchronised with the L-39 ?

Is it possible to do some PBN or interesting ops with this and the L-39 ?

Available in the ZA ?

Is it possible to do some instrument approaches with this ?

Edited by Dlang

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, sergkar said:

I wonder if the standard steam version is still the all-in-one version, since it's double the price than in ed's store?

If you click on the $5.99 NS430 Navigation System --> Steam Gazelle NS430 and from there follow the link to the old "all-in-one" package (50% discount @ $9.99 / £8.49) you *might* still be able to buy the old Steam package but it's not clear what you'll receive as the L-39 and Mi-8 are now listed separately ?

The only way to be sure is to make the purchase and refund within Steam's "2 hrs DCS gameplay/2 weeks of purchase" time limit.

This post *may* help you determine what you are buying but YMMV :

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080