Weird takeoff

In the Elburus Rescue (the one with the very tall mountain, sure I misspelled it) if you start with the "cold start" option then try to takeoff, the tail is initially very heavy, forcing you to push the stick near full forward, then after you are a few feet off the ground the tail heaviness disappears causing you to nose forward in moments. Not sure what that is but thought you guys would be interested to know .

Never experienced that but it's been a while since I last did this one. Did you have that on more than one occasion?

For me it happens all the time I do the cold start version of the mission in the current beta version. When you select the HOT start, however, that tail heaviness never occurs and a normal (nondrunken) takeoff is doable.

Edited by WelshZeCorgi

Are you remembering to turn on the hydraulics as part of your cold start?

Hyds off will cause cyclic interaction with collective movement, which can be felt and resisted in the control in real life but not in game.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Are you remembering to turn on the hydraulics as part of your cold start?

Hyds off will cause cyclic interaction with collective movement, which can be felt and resisted in the control in real life but not in game.

I don't remember 100%, but if you're talking about the two switches on the far front of the center console, so far front to the point that they are almost underneath the front dash instrument panel, I think one of them is hydraulics and the other is force trim, then yes, I always flip those two on during startup by habit.

I suggest trying that mission with the cold start option, then try to take off in a hover with slight left rudder and stick slight back and left and you should see what I mean.

EDIT: This is in the beta version of DCS not the Final Release version.

Edited by WelshZeCorgi

I just tried it, and I felt it as well.

Let me ask, are you using VR?

The reason I ask is, with the hill directly in front of you on start, you are in prime position for something called "upslope illusion." This is the illusion that makes you feel that you are very nose down, because the apparent horizon to you is up in the sky (the top of the hill). The psychological impact is that you naturally want to raise the nose to bring it level to the "horizon," but of course it isn't the real horizon. Having done a mountain flying course fairly recently, I can tell you that this is a VERY powerful illusion. I can see it having an effect at the start of this mission, when you first pull into the hover.

The other possible point is that you are so low on fuel, your C of G may be fairly far back - though the placement of the fuel tanks on a Huey is pretty close to the mast, so this shouldn't have a profound impact.

I think it's the upslope illusion that you're feeling.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Another question for you guys, have you tried to do autostart?

Edit: just tested it, happens the same to me, having the controls showing up on the left top corner, the hover position of the controls just make your tail hit the ground. (Did autostart to make sure I don't forget anything and I am not in VR)

Edited by swatstar98

Chinook lover - Rober -

I just tried it, and I felt it as well.

Let me ask, are you using VR?

The reason I ask is, with the hill directly in front of you on start, you are in prime position for something called "upslope illusion." This is the illusion that makes you feel that you are very nose down, because the apparent horizon to you is up in the sky (the top of the hill). The psychological impact is that you naturally want to raise the nose to bring it level to the "horizon," but of course it isn't the real horizon. Having done a mountain flying course fairly recently, I can tell you that this is a VERY powerful illusion. I can see it having an effect at the start of this mission, when you first pull into the hover.

The other possible point is that you are so low on fuel, your C of G may be fairly far back - though the placement of the fuel tanks on a Huey is pretty close to the mast, so this shouldn't have a profound impact.

I think it's the upslope illusion that you're feeling.

No, I don't have VR... if you're offering though...

But yeah, this is super weird, right? Not even really sure why it does that.

Edited by WelshZeCorgi