F-16 vs JF-17, which one should I buy?

MobiSev

Both.

Realistically though.

Day1 release (oversimplyfing).

F16,

Sort of functional A/A basically the same as the hornet, no TWS, raid, etc. Kinda gimped on the A/G side, you get dumb bombs and GBU's though and a limited functionaly TPOD to use with them. Online functionality of GBU's is still up in the air. But, you do get to sing Dos Gringos songs while flying and if you are really brave, pop down to the liquor store and buy some Jermiah Weed... Also, really since its a US fighter, its switchology, systems, weapons will all be very close to the F18 that you already have, relative to the JF17, which will do things differently.

Also, since this is an ED core module you pretty much are guaranteed a decent quality module, even for EA. You know what you are getting, and you know what you are in for with the EA process. Use the F18 as "guide" for how fast or not some features might come. I'm hoping with parallel development the Viper will be done quicker/better, but I firm adherent in hoping in one hand and you know what in the other.

JF17

You get get much more functional A/A, you get TWS, DTT, STT, PL10 AAM (amramm), PL5 (Aim9). A/G, you will get a mostly finished A/G systems, to include man-in-loop weapons, JDAMs, JSOW's, GBU's, SLAM-ER equivalents, HARM equivalents. Maybe even a MAWS. Working ground radar, working TPOD etc. Bottom line it will be at about where the hornet is now, and futher along in some areas (Radar/IFF/Weps).

However, since this is Deka's first full module you have no idea how well it will live up to the "hype" (and to be fair they aren't overhyping). It could be F14 level quality, it could be another "quality release" like the mig19 was on day 1. We really have no idea really how good its going to be or how fast fixes might come if there are issues.

Down the road the F16 will get fleshed out, but all 3 fighters will eventually be somewhat similar capability wise because they are all modern multirole jets. Some minor differences in capability/armaments will keep things interesting.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

can only get one at the moment...maybe sometime in the future

I'm more excited about the JF17... But I also love the viper. So I'm excited for both but for totally different reasons. ED already got my Pesos for the Viper, so next is Deka's turn.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hard to remove bias...I've Always been a fan of the F-16.

With an ED module (F-16) you know what you are getting, and that it will be completed. F-17... dunno, but looking promising!

The above post didn't mention that we will have LGBs on release too.

For me, it's the F-16 for sure. The F-17 will just be needed to complete the numeric lineup of F-14, F-15, F,-16 F-17 and F-18. :D

Hard to remove bias...I've Always been a fan of the F-16.

With an ED module (F-16) you know what you are getting, and that it will be completed. F-17... dunno, but looking promising!

The above post didn't mention that we will have LGBs on release too.

For me, it's the F-16 for sure. The F-17 will just be needed to complete the numeric lineup of F-14, F-15, F,-16 F-17 and F-18. :D

Yeah I did. GBU = LGB :) There is that whole controversy about how the LGB codes will work relative to other modules, and we have no info how that will work online.

MAWS is certainly confirmed, it’s on all block 1. I read on another site that it’s range is up to 20km and has TTI. Also it’s amount of glass is the same configuration at the Gripen. Sure 42% is made in China, but it’s still pretty advanced tech. Even if you don’t fly it, MP will always be different, it’ll be exciting

2179BC6F-B0F2-4F64-A26C-F01A9A4A6D4F.thumb.jpeg.5f38cffcbe626fa38f29f49cf0fbeda1.jpeg

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Also it’s amount of glass is the same configuration at the Gripen.

This one statement sold the JF-17 to me. Even if the 16 has better cockpit visibility, the fact that the 17 has something the same as the Gripen in some fashion makes it a done deal.

REALLY hope we get that module eventually. Gripen = literally an instant buy.

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

Of the two the JF17 should have more modern interfaces/concepts.

The two aircraft fill very similar roles. The 17 is a little newer and little less capable in terms of performance and weapon capacity. It's honestly a toss up. They both fit in will the majority of assets in DCS and you could swap one with the other in most missions without issue.

I'm getting both for sure, assuming quality is good. The F-16 will eventually be a fine module. Deka is new to full fidelity as was already mentioned. If I could only get one, wait for the JF-17 release, read reviews, and get it if it sounds good since it should be more complete.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Also, google the aircraft and do some personal study. If we can do it, so can you

You are assuming that I haven’t already done this :)

I have already looked into them a little, and was wanting feedback here as part of that process. There could be stuff I missed

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

PL-5EII(AIM-9L/M equivalent) on wingtips, on two outer wing stations you can single or double rack either PL-5EII or SD-10. The gun is Gsh-23-2 with 180 rounds.

Doesn’t really count, but I’m sure people will try to kill each other with the C-802AKG(contrast lock in auto mode), and the BRM1-90 laser guided rockets will have some usefulness in taking out helicopters or UAVs

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

PL-5EII(AIM-9L/M equivalent) on wingtips, on two outer wing stations you can single or double rack either PL-5EII or SD-10. The gun is Gsh-23-2 with 180 rounds.

Doesn’t really count, but I’m sure people will try to kill each other with the C-802AKG(contrast lock in auto mode), and the BRM1-90 laser guided rockets will have some usefulness in taking out helicopters or UAVs

SD-10 means medium range fully active radar homing. Thats interesting. It will be almost equivalent to AIM 120 B and R 77.

I'd personally go with the F-16 since it works better thematically with the cold war era that most DCS maps/modules fit into. Granted I don't have extensive knowledge of the JF-17's service, but it's currently only operated by Pakistan, Myanmar, and Nigera. It's a lot easier to create realistic scenarios for the Viper since it'll be right at home over the Persian Gulf and in the NTTR, as well as the upcoming Syria map.

I am getting both, as I am very happy for every 4th gen fighter we get in DCS.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Mid to late 2000s F-16 fits to cold war era like nothing else.

:thumbup::megalol:

I mean really, the F16C barely fits into the last few years of the cold war. You can pretend its an A model by turning off the SA, and limiting your radar to 20nm and taking 9L heaters on the wingtips though, and some dumb bombs for ground attack.

Edited by Harlikwin

You will be able to do a lot more things with the JF-17 Than the F-16

like?

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

giphy.gif

yea. MAWS. pretty cool. Thats the 1 feature i wish the USN/USMC F/A18C and USAF F16C had.

But no JHMCS or Aim9x contemporaries tho ((((

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD