Virpil or VKB pedals?

I have the VKP pedals and I'm very happy with them. I don't think the Virpil pedals are worse, when talking about the quality. I think it's the look of the products, that makes them different. The VKB pedals are more like helicopter pedals and the Virpil for the fixed wings. I'm flying fixed wings only and I just love my VKB pedals. They have a small footprint, are very stable and in the spring "high force" position with a strong center position of the cam they are just perfect. Owners of the Virpil may have the same opinion about their product... ;)

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

I use Crosswinds, but honestly I don't think you're going to hate yourself whichever way you go. I've heard good things about all of them (you already know about the toe brakes), so this is a choice between incremental differences.

I use a Virpil stick, and the build quality is top-notch. I can't imagine their pedals would be less good.

...I am looking to get the Virpil throttle...

Good luck with that.

For the pedals, i´d highly recommend some with toe brakes. As stated before, your interests may change and if so, you´ll regret having purchased some without toe brakes. I had the chance to try out the Virpil ACE 1 pedals of a co-worker and they are absolutely great. This was the first time i regret having purchased the TPRs instead of going for the even cheaper Virpil pedals. Well, they weren´t available back then, but i should have waited just a few months until these hit the market...

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Was just about to pull the trigger on VKB pedals, but saw that Virpil Warbrds are about the same price.

The main difference is the operation method.

VirPil WarBRD is a conventional hip, legs and ankles operated pedal, sliding back and forth, what in this model can be done with heel on floor, better for control than floating foots of ACE models.

Need fixation on floor or "cockpit" or will slide, require too that if you chair have wheels, need lock then.

VKB T-Rudder have a different operation, you use only feet down-up movement, what make then very comfortable for use in conventional office chair, because the operation movement don't make pedal or chair slide. This allow a very fine control. But they don't look neither operate like an aircraft pedal.

"Toe brakes" is subjective, is not an solution for all planes in all games, but for some types of planes, although being majority.

On contrary VKB T-Link "differential brakes" (Spitfire, MiG-21 style) emulation work for any plane in any game. IL-2 Sturmovik GB series support this feature for all planes modeled.

And brakes wheels independently is a very secondary feature on flight, used only in taxi maneuvers.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Well, I have a pair of VKB T-Rudder Mk IV and I am very happy with them. I use an office chair with wheels and with my previous Logitech G940 pedals it was really tiresome even though the pedals where "locked" towards the wall, the chair moved with the "leg/hip" push. The VKB's work great with a setup like that. And it's a 800 dollar chair that is great so I am not that interested in swapping that to something else as I do other things than sims on the computer.

I started my IRL flying career with gliders and the VKB's really feel like the pedals in a modern glider plane that often are just a "bar". And in a modern glider you are very much laying down in the plane so pushing the pedals from that position is kind of the same "action" as when sitting in a chair pushing "down". So for me they very much feel like a real aircraft - and the precision is great...

Another bonus is that they really do not take up much space and they feel very high quality. The feeling of the cams in them is similar to the feeling of my Virpil WarBrd gimbal for my stick.

I was very close to ordering the Crosswinds and I am sure I would have been happy with them or the Virpils, but I have no regrets choosing the VKB's

Edited by mazex
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

I like the idea of the vkb although I doubt they are realistic you pi\usb down instead of out. Very responsive and fit almost anywhere. I use mine for the back control group a vkb gladiator, vkb rudder pedals and thrustmaster twcs throttle.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Thanks guys. The crosswinds are seriously out of budget though I love them [from the reviews that I have seen].

As already pointed out the toe brakes are of use only on the ground so I'm willing to give that up to save about 150 [or more?] dollars.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

I'm also looking at upgrading my rudder pedals (TFRP are just horrible) and would like to stay around $200, so I'm looking at this VKB T Rudders and Virpil Warbirds. I prefer helicopters but want to still comfortable use them with the F-14 and wardbirds....

I'm curious about the Differential brakes emulator with the VKB T rudders. How do you do full brake to slow down? Just a different bind or something? I think I'd go with the T rudders if I can bind brakes to the pedals or to a comfortable button somewhere on the HOTAS I suppose.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

VirPil WarBRD is a conventional hip, legs and ankles operated pedal, sliding back and forth, what in this model can be done with heel on floor, better for control than floating foots of ACE models.

Need fixation on floor or "cockpit" or will slide, require too that if you chair have wheels, need lock then.

VKB T-Rudder have a different operation, you use only feet down-up movement, what make then very comfortable for use in conventional office chair, because the operation movement don't make pedal or chair slide. This allow a very fine control. But they don't look neither operate like an aircraft pedal.

"Toe brakes" is subjective, is not an solution for all planes in all games, but for some types of planes, although being majority.

On contrary VKB T-Link "differential brakes" (Spitfire, MiG-21 style) emulation work for any plane in any game. IL-2 Sturmovik GB series support this feature for all planes modeled.

And brakes wheels independently is a very secondary feature on flight, used only in taxi maneuvers.

Great explanation of the difference :thumbup:

I save it to share it to the next person who ask similar question.

Thanks, that is very helpful. Yes, I use an office chair with castors, and that's another reason I thing the VKBs might be better for me.

Get one with toe brakes it’s worth having the functionality as your interests change. MFG is worth a look.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

If you are going virpil kit in a few months it might be a boring suggestion but why not try and save up the extra and get the one with the toe-brakes. Shipping cost from virpil might be a bit of a pain or at least expensive depending on your location and particularly for the Americas.

That said I still hold that the toe brakes aren't super necessary, unless you fly ww2 tail draggers, and taxiing long distances.

For the modern jets any keybind really could easily sort this, and the virpil have a brake lever on the stick like on Russian aircraft.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I have upgraded from TFRP to VKBs and couldn't be more happy with them.

They are kind of small, so don't take much space, very good built quality, and perfect for flying helicopters.

I use toe break emulator only for warbirds. I don't need it at all for other airplanes.

I just use space bar for brakes, it's not an issue as I never have to keep both hands on HOTAS while braking on the ground anyway.

So many modules, so little time...

www.mikphotography.com

Thanks guys. Done. Cant wait now.

No taxes?

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Honestly? No. The attached thumbnail wasn´t your placed order?

Honestly? No. The attached thumbnail wasn´t your placed order?

Sorry, I thought you were asking about taxes I would have to pay to get it to India. I'm getting it shipped to the US, and I think there is no local taxes if the shipped to state has no presence of the retailer. I presume that x-plane is based in Florida, and have no office in NY.

dali

You missed OP premise, he live in India where is not practical order goods from other countries - high local custom fees and 50% chance of the goods being "lost" by the postal service.

I live in Brazil and know what is this, here local custom taxes is ~101.5% and I already had cases of goods "lost" in the customs or by the postal service.

So he chose to buy VKB in the USA, to be delivered to a local address and a relative will take the pedal to India.

About the "best pedal on the market", Slaw Viper RX, VPC ACE2 and even TPR users may not agree with you, the guys tend to justify to themselves that the toy they buy is "the best".. ;)

Edited by Sokol1_br