CH products upgrades

rel4y

• 1 month later...

Got my board and sensors,(Christmas present from my wife!) had a couple issues getting them installed and set up, but rel4y was super quick at responding and walking me through everything I needed help with!

Just, wow...what a difference! Finally got to hop in the cockpit and do a couple traps in the hornet, so smooth. the smallest movements are picked up, never seen the in game stick move so smoothly. (I admit, I sat there moving the fighterstick and watching the ingame stick moving for a moment, never really noticed how much of a range difference there was until it picked up super tiny movements and translated them to the in game stick!)

Now I have to try AA Refueling, something I've deemed near impossible with the CH Fighterstick before in the Hornet. (Managed with the viper just fine though). The new sensors and board are great, thank you!

Congrats, as soon as he gets the new CH boards ready i'll be hopping on the train with you! Also making up nice jumper cables that convert from mini-spade male to single pin female to make the conversion to his sensors a little slicker and reverting back to OEM spares (in case of a failure) as easy as can be. That would be a question, are the new boards compatible with the OEM sensors? If not, I think i'll grab a couple extra new ones to have on hand, JIC...

Edited by GaryR

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

I am already working on a mod getting rid of that pincer mechanism. I have a working prototype, but the ball bearings I ordered are too large. It will be camless however, as cams will be nearly impossible to integrate in that gimbal.

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

I agree, if only rel4y (or someone) could come up with a proper replacement for the microswitch hat on the throttle this CH gear could last another 20 years.. ;)

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

So I finally got around to finish installing some of these awesome sensors in my Fighterstick. I had a brief delay due to finding out that these new sensors are not reverse polarity safe!

I was so mindful of this up until I plugged the connector into the stock controller back to front... :cry:

Got to say, I'm very impressed! Thanks rel4y!

Paired with a new mmjoy2 controller giving 12bit resolution, I beleive this stick is now pretty much up there with the virpil and VKB offerings.

Would love to come up with a robust dual stage trigger mod one of these days. Waiting to find a cheap second hand stick to come my way before I get stuck into that project.

Then my only other complaint is the notch when crossing over on the X and Y axis. Honestly if I don't think about it it doesn't affect anything, hence why I still have this stick some 15 years later.

Can you reveal any details on the new gimbal you spoke of rel4y?

I agree, if only rel4y (or someone) could come up with a proper replacement for the microswitch hat on the throttle this CH gear could last another 20 years..

Do you mean the Microstick? I think you know about my Pro Throttle index finger slew already. :) I only have a Gameport Pro Throttle, which has no analog Microstick at all. So it's hard to make proper mods for the USB version. If someone wants to borrow me the part (it's easily unplugged), I may be able to come up with something.

Got to say, I'm very impressed! Thanks rel4y!

Paired with a new mmjoy2 controller giving 12bit resolution, I beleive this stick is now pretty much up there with the virpil and VKB offerings.

Would love to come up with a robust dual stage trigger mod one of these days. Waiting to find a cheap second hand stick to come my way before I get stuck into that project.

Then my only other complaint is the notch when crossing over on the X and Y axis. Honestly if I don't think about it it doesn't affect anything, hence why I still have this stick some 15 years later.

Can you reveal any details on the new gimbal you spoke of rel4y?

Glad to hear! Dual stage trigger and gimbal mod are in the works. (CAD is done.) I have to test around which works best for the gimbal, as I want to modify as few parts as possible. I will post a bunch of pictures when I am satisfied with the design. :thumbup:

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

Do you mean the Microstick? I think you know about my Pro Throttle index finger slew already. :) I only have a Gameport Pro Throttle, which has no analog Microstick at all. So it's hard to make proper mods for the USB version. If someone wants to borrow me the part (it's easily unplugged), I may be able to come up with something.

Is it only the microstick itself that you'd need, and would the throttle still work without it? I don't use the stick because it's awful, so I could sacrifice it for the cause.

PS. still waiting for a reply to my most recent email, 2 and a half weeks ago ;)

I just checked, I don't have any unanswered emails in my account. Can you please resend it, I may have deleted it accidentally or something. :o

You can only unplug the whole "input" PCB including the Microstick, so the Throttle wouldn't be of much use without it. You could still adjust the Throttle, but there would be a gaping hole on the thumb side. :P

Just have to say again...the new sensors with the new main board have made this a brand new stick.

If anyone is on the fence, just buy it already. All I need now is a paddle switch and I don't see ever upgrading this stick!

I fear I have overengineered the CH sensors, as I have trouble producing any significant numbers of them. :( They do work marvelously however..

I have 8 new upgrade mainboards and like 14 sensors ready. I will start to ship these out at the end of the week. I am also awaiting some pictures of them in USB CH devices (I only have gameport ones with different colored cables), so I can make a detailed and accurate installation guide.

IMG-20200129-211955.jpg

I fear I have overengineered the CH sensors, as I have trouble producing any significant numbers of them. :( They do work marvelously however..

I have 8 new upgrade mainboards and like 14 sensors ready. I will start to ship these out at the end of the week. I am also awaiting some pictures of them in USB CH devices (I only have gameport ones with different colored cables), so I can make a detailed and accurate installation guide.

IMG-20200129-211955.jpg

Pictures tomorrow my friend!

Here are a couple pictures of the sensors installed in the Pro Throttle USB (before and after) and the Fighterstick USB (Y axis pic on top, X axis with OEM still installed on bottom), waiting on the mainboard pics until we get a couple things sorted out...

547157280_ProThrottleUSBOEM.thumb.jpg.2cf22eecd9c11447913a84968be3f632.jpg

1620029285_ProThrottleUSBafterInstall.thumb.jpg.8393e1697f85645222a9c1131bdbac12.jpg

1332761281_FighterstickUSBnewYAxisSensor.jpg.78518c9e859ffa86f3f06bbb1ad380e0.jpg

1491016680_FighterstickUSBnewXAxisSensor.thumb.jpg.33e861e70b96e1b438735e0c5b1357e2.jpg

Edited by GaryR

Oh shit, pedal upgrades.

I occasionally find myself having to constantly recalibrate to zero the toe brakes and every now and then I'll find it registering a right rudder input without my feet even being on the pedals. Would this mitigate those issues?

I am certain it would, as you will replace all of the electronics and sensors in the pedals. You could initially try a sensor upgrade first, because it seems unlikely the mainboard would cause such behavior.

Here are a couple pictures of the sensors installed in the Pro Throttle USB (before and after) and the Fighterstick USB (Y axis pic on top, X axis with OEM still installed on bottom), waiting on the mainboard pics until we get a couple things sorted out...

Nice! Are the spade connectors inserted fully on the sensor, because I believe on my CHF they go in further. Dont break them off though! :D I just answered your emails btw. Was on the road yesterday.

Nice! Are the spade connectors inserted fully on the sensor, because I believe on my CHF they go in further. Dont break them off though! :D I just answered your emails btw. Was on the road yesterday.

They are on very tight, I could open them up a little (they were closed to fit the pins on the older version) but they are not going anywhere, and I did NOT want to rip a connector off! :thumbup:

I am certain it would, as you will replace all of the electronics and sensors in the pedals. You could initially try a sensor upgrade first, because it seems unlikely the mainboard would cause such behavior.

I don't remember if I replaced that potentiometer or not, though...

In any case, watch out for an email from me soon about purchasing a set!

Hello,

I am interested for upgrading CH-ProThrottle (may be latter also CH-Quadrant).

What must I buy, what is the price and whereto place order ?

Is there an explanation of what to do (kind of user's manual) ?

Will the CH control manager be able to handle this mod ?

Regards.