MFG 3d printed combat pedals

I have now tested these as well and really like them.

I have used the middle 2 rows of mounting holes and am also running on the weakest hole of the original spring adjusters.

@hegykc - many thanks indeed for also including the third column of mounting holes so the pedals can be closer together - this has provided a more natural position for me in my setup.:thumbup:

BTW, if anyone in the UK has MFG Crosswinds and would like to try these I have a spare set and will send them on.

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Got my first set today and really like the feel and functionality, really looking forward to the upgraded set.:thumbup:

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Got my first set today and really like the feel and functionality, really looking forward to the upgraded set.:thumbup:

Ah, so there is hope after all! I'm East Coast US too (Virginia) and had kind of given up on the originally shipped set ever showing up. Been flying mostly WWII and helis lately so can't wait to give these a go.

Ok, so I’ve had a little try out of the footplates (not in sim yet) But just fitted to the rudder.

All fitting is easy.

I’ve got springs adjusted to the third hole from top as I prefer the toe brakes to feel firm. My MFGs are mounted to an adjustable and heightened panel and lean them against the wall.

Ok, so the Huey footrests plastic (silver) is very light and seems very strong, the grips have excellent traction with the rubber soled trainers I always wear and there is a little bit of creaking. But watching the pedal mechanism closely I’m not sure whether this is from the pedal mounting holes area or the fixing point of the parallelogram side mounts as it looks like they are slightly twisting. Presumably they are twisting due to a larger distance away from the mounting holes. I re-tried the original footplates and they don’t twist. Maybe adjusting the Huey footrests so the centre of the foot is over the mounting holes as much as possible rather than to the right of it. Alas I think they’ll always be too wide for chopper footrests (they tend to be much narrower from what I’ve seen irl)

WW2 pedals (green plastic) - loads of adjustment with no creaking and less twisting of the side mounts. Very cool.

The support bracket seems ok although I think it may be an idea to provide or suggest longer bolt or increasing the size and thickness to more closely match post #52 where you show a render with nuts on the backside of the support. Oh, by the way, I know you probably didn’t design those supports with the Huey pedals in mind but it may be an idea to have the supports modular in design so they all different types of pedals you design.

I’ll get into the sim tomorrow and try and break them! ������������ and hopefully not my rudders!

Edited by mr_mojo97

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I’ll get into the sim tomorrow and try and break them! and hopefully not my rudders!

Do NOT do that!

It might be possible to brake the old designed combat foot rests, but the new design with support bracket far exceeds the braking limit of the actual MFG parts!

Interesting about the Huey pedals. Yes I can definitely make them not so wide. I'll do that and send a new pair for comparison.

Edited by hegykc

Ah, so there is hope after all! I'm East Coast US too (Virginia) and had kind of given up on the originally shipped set ever showing up. Been flying mostly WWII and helis lately so can't wait to give these a go.

Well, I must have said the magic words, because I came home to find them in my mailbox today.

It may be a couple days before I can mount them. I know these are now "old design," so let me know if there is any specific parameter on the old design that carries over to the new, for which you would like feedback.

Do NOT do that!

It might be possible to brake the old designed combat foot rests, but the new design with support bracket far exceeds the braking limit of the actual MFG parts!

Interesting about the Huey pedals. Yes I can definitely make them not so wide. I'll do that and send a new pair for comparison.

I was only really joking about trying to break them! lol

So the width is actually ok - they're the same width as the combat foot rests - just that with all the adjustments in the combat ones they overlap the spring, which would be cool for the Huey ones as well - in fact to get as close to the MFG side mounts as possible would be ideal. So I guess the mounting holes just need to go closer to the centre of the footrests.

Cheers

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I have now tested these as well and really like them.

I have used the middle 2 rows of mounting holes and am also running on the weakest hole of the original spring adjusters.

@hegykc - many thanks indeed for also including the third column of mounting holes so the pedals can be closer together - this has provided a more natural position for me in my setup.:thumbup:

BTW, if anyone in the UK has MFG Crosswinds and would like to try these I have a spare set and will send them on.

Hornblower, me hearty. If you still have these, I wouldn't mind giving them a crack!

Will cover postage too. Just let me know if you still have them.

Yours Aye.

SKdXrhX.png

PM sent

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Yep, unfortunately the old designs had a mix of settings and strengths to help me determine the minimum amount of time/material needed. So your settings would now be marked as a no go.

But I decided to get rid of that approach completely and go with a fail-safe solution of using an extra bracket and 4 mounting bolts instead of 2.

New designs will be sent out directly from US so you won't have to wait another month and a half for the new set to arrive.

Mine finally arrived yesterday! I've had a few hours usage out of them so far and they're working perfectly. The only issue so far is that they are quite a bit wider than the stock Crosswinds with width adapter plates. The were about 2 inches too wide to fit in my Obutto r3volution pit with the pedal tray at the highest mounting point. Dropping the tray down to the lowest points solved that. I've set them up in the most vertical position and the springs in the weakest setting.

Are mine still coming from Europe or are they being made in Aus??

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

Yep, unfortunately the old designs had a mix of settings and strengths to help me determine the minimum amount of time/material needed. So your settings would now be marked as a no go.

But I decided to get rid of that approach completely and go with a fail-safe solution of using an extra bracket and 4 mounting bolts instead of 2.

New designs will be sent out directly from US so you won't have to wait another month and a half for the new set to arrive.

My Gen 1 pedals are holding up quite well so far. I didn't need to use the spring tension adjusters provided, either.

Question for other users: do you find the height of the pedal from the floor to be a bit too high? For me (wearing no shoes) my feet hit the pedals somewhere above the balls of my feet, or just below my toes. From my very limited RL stick time in aircraft with similar style pedals, I seem to recall making contact with the pedals lower down on my feet. Then again, that could be a because in RL flying I had shoes or boots on.

Are mine still coming from Europe or are they being made in Aus??

USA and AU will be made and shipped locally.

do you find the height of the pedal from the floor to be a bit too high? For me (wearing no shoes)...

Oh at least 75% of testers reported pedals too high. I have a stupidly large and deep desk, so I'm seated almost like in a real fighter plane or a race car, more horizontal than vertical. So I had no comfort problems.

But people sitting in normal chairs at normal desks, sit more vertically and in that position the Gen1 pedals really are too high. Now, that being said, they are on the same height as a real F-18 pedal position, and have the same dimensions.

But again, real planes and boots vs computer desk and socks is two different worlds.

Anyway the final design has mounting holes for 2" adjustment up/down/left/right so it should fit everyone.

Now, that being said, they are on the same height as a real F-18 pedal position, and have the same dimensions.

But again, real planes and boots vs computer desk and socks is two different worlds.

Anyway the final design has mounting holes for 2" adjustment up/down/left/right so it should fit everyone.

Very cool RE adjustments, and also great to know that the default pedal height represents real world.

I use a Wheelstand Pro, and made a base plate out of 5/8" (~16mm) MDF to replace the steel base plate that comes with the Wheelstand Pro. The new base plate is 12" deep x 24" wide (~30x60cm), and I mounted the MFGs pretty far forward. This allows me to have a solid foundation under my heels.

The relevance here is that it would be easy for me to add an additional layer of MDF just under my heels, to elevate them relative to the pedals.

The adjustments made by @hegykc for height have made all the difference

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

So with with the main return to centre spring removed there is still a 'centre notch' and the pedals feel a bit stiff. Is there a way to address this so they can be nice and smooth without a centre?

Do you have a time frame?

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

My Gen 1 pedals...

Question for other users: do you find the height of the pedal from the floor to be a bit too high? For me (wearing no shoes) my feet hit the pedals somewhere above the balls of my feet, or just below my toes.

I already have the 2nd gen pedals which can be set a bit lower. This is better but still a bit to high to be 100% comfortable. In flight it doesn't matter much, you can use the rudder with your toes but when bringing the aircraft to a stop you have to lift your heels a bit to be able to push on the top of the pedals for them to pivot. But then the lower you mount the pedals, the more force is needed to pivot because the pivot axis stays at the same height.

That's why i want the springforce to be the lowest possible (otherwise my chair moves back...LOL).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

A little OT from the new combat pedals, but I'm now experimenting with both the hydraulic damper mod many install on the MFGs, as well as keeping the spring connected. I like the dampened feel, but unless you set the spring tension very high, the pedals don't return to center on their own.

It's tricky, because for helicopters, no spring and damper is the way to go. But for WWII fixed-wing, the spring is the best way (short of FFB pedals) to simulate the aerodynamic forces acting on the rudder. I may just have to live with disconnecting and reconnecting the spring when I switch between rotary and fixed wing.