X56: has anyone truly fixed the throttle ghosting issue? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-24-2020, 04:48 AM   #11
symowallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness88 View Post
"the landing gear wants to come down if I am slow enough" This is normal as per manual page 65...Primary Radar Low Altitude Warning. If the landing gear is up and locked and the radar altitude
is less than the Low Altitude Limit index, the primary low altitude warning tone/voice alert is heard in
the pilot's headset. A “Whoop, Whoop” warning tone is heard.

I've heard of a pinched wire harness causing strange behavior [I believe this was in the blue version and corrected in the grey], do you find it happens only when moving the throttle or other button/switch?
Basically, the landing gear will activate, master arm/on off, etc etc - at random times. If I'm slow enough, the gear will come down at random times (irrespective of aircraft). It was funny doing some dogfights - I'd be whipping the F/A-18 around in mock combat, trying to get a lead on an F-14 and suddenly my gear was down, flaps were down and master arm off. Hilarious!

Essentially, anything mapped to one of the base switches will activate at random. This was even more noticeable on the F-14 as I had wing sweep mapped to the base switches.

Not specifically happening in relation to throttle position but there's only so many things I can test. I've already opened the throttle up and there's no wire pinching, and I don't think it's an issue with this model (X55 maybe).

As far as parts go, you could try Logitech support directly, although they're having trouble getting stock at the moment (just try their support inbox support@logi.com maybe)
symowallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:14 AM   #12
SACG_Yeti

I bought the x56 right after it's release a few years back. Was plagued with ghost presses for a long time. Tried several solutions, but nothing worked.

What finally fixed it for me was connecting the x56 throttle to a cheap external powered usb 2.0 hub, with no other devices connected to the same hub, and then connecting the hub to a usb 2.0 port on the MB and leaving the other port on the same usb lane on the MB free/unconnected.

After I did that I never had a single ghost press ever again.

Maybe you already tried that or it doesn't work fo you for some reason. Best of luck anyways!

Sent fra min G8441 via Tapatalk
SACG_Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:13 PM   #13
fitness88
Veteran

symowallo I'm out of ideas
SACG_Yeti seems to have an interesting post for you...let us know how it turns out.

Good luck!
fitness88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:29 AM   #14
symowallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACG_Yeti View Post
I bought the x56 right after it's release a few years back. Was plagued with ghost presses for a long time. Tried several solutions, but nothing worked.

What finally fixed it for me was connecting the x56 throttle to a cheap external powered usb 2.0 hub, with no other devices connected to the same hub, and then connecting the hub to a usb 2.0 port on the MB and leaving the other port on the same usb lane on the MB free/unconnected.

After I did that I never had a single ghost press ever again.

Maybe you already tried that or it doesn't work fo you for some reason. Best of luck anyways!

Sent fra min G8441 via Tapatalk
All good, thanks for the suggestions. However I've tried all of that. Every USB combo I could think of. I've got a dedicated powered USB3 hub, a PCI-E 7 port USB3 powered card - all sorts of stuff.

Anyway, since I installed the 7 additional ferrite cores around what I believe are some of the less protected wires, it's been better. 10 test flights so far over the last week and no ghost presses so far.

I don't believe it's just a USB issue. I think that's part of it, but not the whole cause. I certainly saw improvements after isolating its USB connection, but it didn't fix the issue until I opened it up and installed the ferrite cores for better EMI protection.

My refund arrived from Logitech today. It doesn't cover the full cost, but I guess their argument is that the joystick still works, so I can't complain too much.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:54 AM   #15
symowallo

Happy to say that I’ve had no more ghosting in the last 8 missions that I’ve flown in the last week, after performing my ferrite core “upgrade”.

It’ll be interesting to see how it goes while the system is under heavy stress, but I’m not good enough with the sim yet... mostly simple missions so far.

For anyone interested, I purchased the ferrite cores via AliExpress.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:05 AM   #16
mmoccio

I had this issue for a while. I ran the throttle to a powered USB hub in to a PCI USB card. Seemed to fix the issue and have no had ghosting since.

Ryzen 5 2600 | MSI RTX 2070 Super | ASROCK B450m Pro | 16GB G.SKill Ripjaws 3200 DDR4 | 500GB WD Blue Internal SSD | 1TB Samsung Evo 860 SSD | Logitech X56 HOTAS | PSEYE Track IR | Delan Clip |
mmoccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:03 AM   #17
symowallo

2 weeks later, no ghosting. Gave it to my son to thrash and he reports no ghosting. Pretty happy with that fix - wasn't too difficult and it was cheap.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:44 AM   #18
72westy

Quote:
Originally Posted by symowallo View Post
Happy to say that I’ve had no more ghosting in the last 8 missions that I’ve flown in the last week, after performing my ferrite core “upgrade”.

It’ll be interesting to see how it goes while the system is under heavy stress, but I’m not good enough with the sim yet... mostly simple missions so far.

For anyone interested, I purchased the ferrite cores via AliExpress.

For anyone interested in the cores what size do you recommend?
32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24
Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 456.71
LG Blue Ray DL Burner
1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD
1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
Antec 650w PSU
Rosewill Mid Challenger Black
24" Samsung LED Curved
Saitek X56 HOTAS
TrackIR 5 Pro
Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo
72westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:47 AM   #19
symowallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72westy View Post
For anyone interested in the cores what size do you recommend?
I used a bunch of ferrite cores with 3mm inner diameter and 5mm inner diameter.

For example, here's some in 3mm: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282...2fcf4c4dtZT6zJ

Photo of the X56 innards after installation is in the first pic in this thread.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #20
firefox121

The thing that worked fo me was to plug the saitek throttle and the stick on two usbs 3.0 and to turn OFF the ilumination of the two devices, (I fly in Vr and I dont need it), at this moment all the ghosting issues dissapeared.

Hope it would help
firefox121 is offline   Reply With Quote