Launch bar not retracting ?

hip3rion

yup, and the yellow-vested chappy that guides you onto the cat will give you a signal to do so, when the SC module is out.

Realize that IRL that signal is not given. When the aircraft is fully tensioned and the run-up signal is given, the pilot advances the throttles and then raises the switch on his own. No signal.

I read the NATOPS launch bar section, here is the quote ;

"At the completion of the catapult stroke, launch bar/catapult separation occurs and the return springs cause launch bar retraction which allows the landing gear to be retracted. If the launch bar fails to retract after the aircraft is launched, the red L BAR warning light comes on and the nosewheel does not retract"

I cant find a good video on youtube where I saw the launch bar springing back up right after it left the shuttle but it seems to be the case.

Maybe I should post that in the bug section ?

This is not a bug. If you read page III-8-7 of A1-F18AC-NFM-000 you will see that for the late number hornets (ie our hornet) the launch bar switch needs to be placed in the retract position manually after engaging mil power, whereas the earlier numbers did it automatically.

This issue often causes confusion and I see numerous people doing it incorrectly, as obviously the person flying the hornet in this video did.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

For the Lot Modeled Correct Procedure is to Put switch to retract after tension.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Not sure will have to double check.

But I think the launchbar switch is put to retract when the gear handle is put to retract.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Not sure will have to double check.

But I think the launchbar switch is put to retract when the gear handle is put to retract.

The LB switch is supposed to be raised while in tension in the catapult. The landing gear handle is raised once airborne.

Adding to what GB says above; I'm RL pilot but not of hornets (B1900 biggest I've flown) what I do prior to launch (and this probably deviates from RL, GB may correct me) but I check 4-5 spots. First I check the warning panel left of the UFC, this should be black/ blank, this is where you would notice L BAR lit in green indicating status is not as it should be. Then I check the bottom of the left ddi for warnings. Check trim is set via right ddi. Then I do a quick left right view of my wings (easy to do with head tracking obviously). Then verify that's the position of the wing fold handle and it's locked. Then eyes down to the warning panel below it, this should be blank/black.

This would be called a "flow" in civilian flying as your eyes and/or hands flow over the panels in a controlled and predictable manner.

The LB switch is supposed to be raised while in tension in the catapult. The landing gear handle is raised once airborne.

Im aware of that and said it earlier

Im saying if you forgot to return LB switch after tensiom, raising gear handle might automattically trip LB switch, but its different for groups of blocks.

Im aware of that and said it earlier

Im saying if you forgot to return LB switch after tensiom, raising gear handle might automattically trip LB switch, but its different for groups of blocks.

I've looked into this a bit more; I can't see any reference to the gear lever having any involvement. On early models, moving the throttles to MIL or above, the L BAR switch returns to RETRACT. Later one's it does not, and it's up to the pilot to do it.

I can't see anything else in NATOPs that catagorically states that failure to move the switch to retract will cause L BAR to illuminate red and prevent nose gear retraction; however one of the emergency responses is to ensure the switch is set to retract if the indication arises, so that is probably the case.

Would you like me to raise as a bug, or are you happy to bring it up? Thanks.

Then please read NATPOS Part 1, chapter 2 item 2.10.1.1 Landing Gear Control Handle

and item 2.10.4 Launch Bar System.

Seems pretty obvious to me. And nowhere is stated, that there are other means than putting the launch bar switch to RETRACT to retract the launch bar.