can we have an [OR] Option in Actions?

MemphisBelle

Whenever I try to create my missions dynamically to not have the same Targets spawn on the same position whenever the Mission is starting, I´m wondering why we do not have an [OR] Option in the Actions Section of the rules. It is, of course, possible to create dynamic spawn points by using Flags, but this will also create hundreds of unnecessary Trigger rules.

It would be awesome to see if ED could bring this in.

HE0IX97.png

• Like 1

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

I don't think it would be logically possible to put an [OR] in the action section. There would be no way to determine which option to choose. That choice is made in the conditions section.

Wayz Out

Intel Core i9 9900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z390E Gaming MB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb DDR4-3200 | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe

HTC Vive Pro VR | Logitech G x56 HOTAS | Logitech G PRO Pedals

I don't think it would be logically possible to put an [OR] in the action section. There would be no way to determine which option to choose. That choice is made in the conditions section.

I think he means that the trigger would randomly choose amongst the different OR sections.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I think he means that the trigger would randomly choose amongst the different OR sections.

exactly that´s what I´m referring to.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

but this will also create hundreds of unnecessary Trigger rules.

consider writing a lua script.

the mission editor triggers arent meant for too complex mission scripting, you do that in lua.

also not sure what you mean by dynamic spawnpoints, afaik dcs doesnt support creating client slot aircraft after the mission is started.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

consider writing a lua script.

the mission editor triggers arent meant for too complex mission scripting, you do that in lua.

Yeah I know, but not everyone has the knowledge to write own scripts

also not sure what you mean by dynamic spawn points, afaik DCS doesn't support creating client slot aircraft after the mission is started.

Imagine the following scenario.

A Huey is supposed to pick up Casualties from an Area. You don't want to spawn the casualties every mission at the same spot, that simply doesn't make any sense...it is fun the first time, but with the 2nd or 3rd run it gets boring.

I´m using flags to make it happen to randomly spawn Infantry on 7 different spots and each time we fly the Mission the Inf spawns at another spot...or not at all. This is what I mean with dynamic ...not linear. It would be so much easier with an (OR) Option in the Action rule to make the game spawn the Infantry (to stick with my example) randomly.

If you know how to make this possible by using a script, I´d be more than happy to use it :)

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

The problem, everytime I see something that can done by scripting I think how the ME could have done these easier if it had a few more touches.

What about random activation in zone, random waypoint routing in an area, random options... yes that's right, it randomly picks from some options like ROE ... all this just pushes people into using the unsupported SSE and then ED dont give that much love and people live in a world of mission design pain. Let's face it, they dont even like using scripting in their own DLC.

What's being asked here is so easy in Moose, it only requires asking, or looking.

In the mission editor create a plane called myLateActivatedGroup (late activated) which is the actual route.

Then create a bunch of planes that are the same names as in the table, "planeTable". This is all group names, not unit names.

Load moose.lua at mission start as a DO SCRIPT FILE

Load this below as a DO SCRIPT and paste it in after moose loads

planeTable= {"mig29a", "tomcat2ship", "mig29a", "f5", "f52", "jeff","frogfoot","fishbed"}
SPAWN:New("myLateActivatedGroup"):InitRandomizeTemplate(planeTable):Spawn()

What it will do is keep the plane that is late activated and activate it as normal but swap in the model randomly of the others.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Yeah I know, but not everyone has the knowledge to write own scripts

Imagine the following scenario.

A Huey is supposed to pick up Casualties from an Area. You don't want to spawn the casualties every mission at the same spot, that simply doesn't make any sense...it is fun the first time, but with the 2nd or 3rd run it gets boring.

I´m using flags to make it happen to randomly spawn Infantry on 7 different spots and each time we fly the Mission the Inf spawns at another spot...or not at all. This is what I mean with dynamic ...not linear. It would be so much easier with an (OR) Option in the Action rule to make the game spawn the Infantry (to stick with my example) randomly.

If you know how to make this possible by using a script, I´d be more than happy to use it :)

For just a random spawn location it's even easier. Remember you can mix and match these methods.

[font=Arial][size=3]myZone = ZONE:New( "Zone1" ) SPAWN:New( "myLateActivatedGroupName" ):[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=3]SpawnInZone(myZone, true) [/size][/font]

You now need a zone in your mission called "Zone1" and a late activated group called "myLateActivatedGroup"

Remember with these, all the words and names are case sensitive.

This will spawn your late activated group somewhere in the zone... somewhere.

Hoenstly, spawn is the best of all the classes for simple randomisation.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

[...]

awesome Pikey, Your suggestion may not be a no-script solution but it is nonetheless exactly what I was looking for, I still hope that ED will consider adding features to the Editor so that more randomized Mission can be created. But with you suggestion, I´m having something good to work with, thank you.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Just to play devil's advocate, you could achieve a very similar result by incorporating SET FLAG RANDOM VALUE and a series of triggers. You can do some complex things in the ME, you just have to think about things in some weird ways.

Often scripting will offer a cleaner, faster solution if you have the background knowledge, but you can brute force most of the functions in MiST/MOOSE aside from really complex stuff like the AI dispatchers. As Pikey implied, doing things in the ME can also be less prone to breaking over time.

I tend to do everything that I can in the ME for stability's sake, then dip into MiST or MOOSE for the specialized stuff or the major time savers like flag functions and ground patrols, or complex scripts like Airboss.

Just to play devil's advocate, you could achieve a very similar result by incorporating SET FLAG RANDOM VALUE and a series of triggers. You can do some complex things in the ME, you just have to think about things in some weird ways.

Often scripting will offer a cleaner, faster solution if you have the background knowledge, but you can brute force most of the functions in MiST/MOOSE aside from really complex stuff like the AI dispatchers. As Pikey implied, doing things in the ME can also be less prone to breaking over time.

I tend to do everything that I can in the ME for stability's sake, then dip into MiST or MOOSE for the specialized stuff or the major time savers like flag functions and ground patrols, or complex scripts like Airboss.

yep, that is the solution I´m using at the moment and it works as very well. This thread is looking for alternate solutions and of course asking ED to add new features to the ME.

Generally, I´m like you and try to maximize the ME possibilities.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

[...]

at very first feedback...Your script example works, and the unit is spawning now randomly within the Trigger...so +1 for that :).

Now I´ve another question if you don't mind. Is there a way on spawning smoke markers and signal flares on this particular unit after it was randomly spawned?

My current issue is that the smoke marker will only remember the position placed in the ME but not receive the current and new position of the unit which is pretty odd considering that the trigger rule refers clearly to the unit...

This is the trigger rule I´ve created

hxDjbwV.png

FCrNZ0C.png

DCS-Tutorial-Collection