Forward visibility in the F14 SUCKS!!!!! - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-18-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
wadman

Exclamation Forward visibility in the F14 SUCKS!!!!!

What was Grumman thinking when they designed the canopy/front windscreen? Clearly not close-in dog fighting as you constantly loose the enemy in the frames when in close - it is INCREDIBLY frustrating when you can't tell which way he is maneuvering.

It makes it so much harder (and seemingly unnecessarily so) to dogfight than the windscreen designs of contemporaries like the F15. I'm surprised they never changed that design over the 30 year service life as it would have made a huge difference - I guess the fact that they didn't reflects what they felt was the true mission? Damn shame, though...

Any tricks to try working around this? I'm hoping VR in the Reverb G2 might help to be able change head position to look around this mess mighty help keep sight a bit more? I've tried TrackIR but just find it very unnatural/disorienting so far - so not using it much.
wadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:20 PM   #2
SacredRaziel

Its still pretty good in comparison to some warbirds. Plus you might have the advantage of a second pair of eyes...
Have to agree though that it seems only logical to use bubble canopy as soon as it is available for every interceptor/fighter etc...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk
SacredRaziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:21 PM   #3
razo+r
Veteran

If you think the visibility in the F-14 sucks, you should try out some older airframes.
razo+r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:21 PM   #4
Mr. Big.”Biggs”

I believe they had no means to create a “bubble “ canopy when the F14 was designed. Could be wrong tho. That said, she’s a beast, just practice!
Old 09-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #5
VC

The windscreen design is not a bad choice by Grumman, it is basically identical in almost all fighters from the 1950s and '60s designed in all nations. It's a limitation of glass manufacture, they needed to have a completely flat part in the middle to not distort for aiming, but without the extra frame you can't join that to a curved piece for aerodynamics.

The F-15 is not really an F-14 contemporary, it's a generation newer.

I don't think that style of windscreen is crippling for dogfighting. Obviusly clear is better, but Tomcat is fine in my opinion. Having said that, I fly in VR and can lean around it naturally, I don't even notice I'm doing it. If you say you have no tracking at all and are stuck with the default view on a screen... then yeah I can see it could be quite bad.

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!
X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/
Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4
VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:34 PM   #6
Zergburger

I'll just leave these here, kek. keep in mind that in late vietnam there would ALSO be an apr-25/apr-26 in the small space to the right of the front seat radar display.

Last edited by Zergburger; 09-18-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Zergburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:31 PM   #7
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadman View Post
...I've tried TrackIR but just find it very unnatural/disorienting so far - so not using it much.
So, you are using neither VR nor Headtracking for the last 10 years? .. for sure that sucks

You should really give trackir another go, I have no trouble with my trackir clone:

Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:12 PM   #8
Nodak

Depth perception function in your eye's removes much of the handicap in real life. Hold up your arm centered vertically in front of your eye's and focus on something in the distance, now close one eye. It works pretty slick with a VR HMD.
Nodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:37 PM   #9
wadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudel_chw View Post
So, you are using neither VR nor Headtracking for the last 10 years? .. for sure that sucks

You should really give trackir another go, I have no trouble with my trackir clone:

Not the last 10 years - I've only started playing DCS a few months ago after I built a new computer to handle it. I'll give Track IR some more time, but hoping my Reverb G2 shows up in the next month as I Think VR will be more natural feeling.

Was just an observation/rant after trying other aircraft with better forward visibility - it makes it FAR easier!

I'm still loving the F14 and practice will make better I'm sure!
Old 09-18-2020, 11:38 PM   #10
wadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Depth perception function in your eye's removes much of the handicap in real life. Hold up your arm centered vertically in front of your eye's and focus on something in the distance, now close one eye. It works pretty slick with a VR HMD.
That's what I'm hoping - thanks!