Syrian Map Discussion

ghashpl

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delevero, you get a gold star. That was fantastic super sleuth work.

Well done man

Cap'n Penguin

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good spot OP.

Not that I'll be buying Syria, at least until Ugra introduce Speedtrees and the VR enhancement into Normandy.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

At 1:55 I believe its Beirut, Lebanon
Seems so. Dunno who the author is but this is badass.

attachment.php?attachmentid=210710&stc=1&d=1558804884

S!

61256940_2290816734511489_2868110818749186048_n.jpg.4ce26f00c8694a6f351b9d5df1089cae.jpg

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

this is gonna be the best map ever created for DCS.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

A lot of this has been thoroughly discussed in the other thread, like the Cyprus question:

I doubt it will be included though. I base my opinion on two factors.

1. No mention on the project website.

2. Take a map and measure 610 x 440 km in the region, you will see that including Cyprus cuts off a huge chunk of Syria from the map. Something like this:

picture.php?albumid=1089&pictureid=10624

Then, the project does not mention a lot in terms of Israel neither and with a map like the one above, there would be much more to mention. Just my opinion.

That thread also has a lot of screenshots of the map, like here:

New pics

screenshot_1-1024x603.jpg

screenshot_3-1024x602.jpg

screenshot_4-1024x601.jpg

screenshot_6-1024x600.jpg

screenshot_7-1024x602.jpg

screenshot_12-1024x603.jpg

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ugra and the Syria map

Like a good number of us, I have to say that I was very impressed by the visuals on the Syria map.

As a player who already owns most of the modules (i.e. all but 2 of the already released ones, and the F16 is pre-ordered), you’d expect that I’d be fully lined up to buy the Syria map.

The answer is “not quite”.

Unfortunately for Ugra, I’m also an owner of the Normandy map, which I actually really like, but has two key stumbling blocks, i.e.

- Speedtrees has never been implemented

- The upcoming 50% VR enhancement sounds like it might not happen

What I’d like is for Ugra to give me confidence that they actually support their maps, and in this case, and for myself, that means I won’t be buying the Syria map until there is at least a solid commitment that they’ll be introducing Speedtrees AND the VR enhancement to the Normandy map.

For any other players who feel it’s appropriate to add to this thread, then please, keep it civil and polite. This is about voicing our thoughts on the matter to hopefully lead to a positive decision about the future roadmap for Normandy, not an excuse to insult any of the developers OR each other.

Edited by Mr_sukebe

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

I agree. I'm a VR-exclusive player now, and as much as I want to give the WW2 itch a try, I am still very much on the fence about the Normandy map for this very reason, and have little interest in the Syria map for the same reason--in addition to the fact we already have two desert maps, so a third is just beating a dead horse.

I have the same thoughts, until Normandy gets SpeedTrees and a few other updates (mostly runway/airfield changes), then I won't be touching the Syria map.

I do remember seeing a post that Ugra were going to return to Normandy once they'd finished the Syria map though, so we'll see I suppose.

I can only assume at this point they're a very small team, considering they've got no real online presence and their glacial pace of updates.

I get the demand for optimizations and bug fixes but expecting particular technology to be implemented (Speedtrees) is a little over the line, don't you think?

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I get the demand for optimizations and bug fixes but expecting particular technology to be implemented (Speedtrees) is a little over the line, don't you think?

No I don’t, but do let me explain.

There’s a few points here:

- Over time, we’ve seen a number of technical improvements to the game engine. Speedtrees just being one of them. I can’t help but think that we need to make a statement to not just Ugra, but also ED, that simply leaving older modules to “rot”, is just not good practice.

- I appreciate that ED have stated that this is an Ugra issue, and I get that. There is however a learning exercise here that I can’t help but think that a “solution” is either that the 3rd party developer agrees to implement future technical enhancements, or that the map is designed such that they can be implemented by ED themselves, both of which clearly need very specific contractual agreements in place

- Ongoing enhancements to maps is NOT free. I do get that. However, the Normandy map is still for sale and most of the time, at it’s normal retail price. So it’s not that Ugra and ED are not getting money for the map. Putting it another way, how many “potential” customers are being dissuaded from buying the map (which as I’ve stated earlier, I rather like), because of complaints about it’s performance due to a lack of speedtrees? That’s more of a question for ED, as clearly we can’t see the sales figures. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve dropped to virtually nothing. So what’s better, leave it as is as the “map to avoid”, or spend money on it to make it sellable to future potential customers.

Do remember that we have the A8, P47 and Mosquito all incoming, all of which “may” bring in fresh customers, some of whom are going to want to have a European map to fly it on. How many will take a sniff around, read that the Normandy map is dead and simply not bother.

Finally, this isn’t a thread just for me to have a moan.

This is “our” opportunity to explain politely to ED and Urga how we feel about the subject.

Surely it’s better that we do that and articulate our reasons, rather than simply keep our mouths closed and just quietly not buy the Syria map?

For the same reasons I'm also holding off the Syria map.

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022