How come AIM-120 on the tips?

Knock-Knock

Now that we have the official F-16 forum, Ill pop my cherry with this question:

What is the reason behind AIM-120's on the wingtips, and usually AIM-9's on a wing station?

Id imagine the opposite was preferred, since all other air frames do so?

a-us-air-force-usaf-f-16j-fighting-falcon-fighter-fitted-with-aim-9-sidewinder-75fb91-1024.jpg

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

The typical response is to help with wing oscillation that happens at certain speeds and AOA on the F-16. I never seen an official explanation. Meaning I never seen a manual break it down.

Interesting enough, Any missile on the wing tips (AIM9 or 120) is consider a no drag penalty. Also the launcher have to be installed that is why even the USAF Thunderbird still carry the launcher.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Much obliged :thumbup:

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

to keep wings alive longer.

May have been the intended reasoning way back when. However, not entirely true anymore, the added weight (vs AIM9 or nothing) is causing some issues.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

That being said, I haven't seen any photo of F-16 carrying both AIM-120 and AIM-9, where Sidewinders would be on the tips.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Panther, I was about to say the same thing. It’s been adding more stress to the wings and causing problems for sure. Can’t tell you how many times I had to grab a C-1 stand and tighten screws to stop a fuel leak on a go.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMEDooley there are reports of cracking out there too, but I’ve tighten the horizontal bolts more times than I dare to count.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Structural fatigue which leads to leaking fuel tank, potential for cracking and complete structural failure.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So its probably better to have something heavy on the tips then not, to cut down on that.

Problem is the weight is causing the same problems.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Having 120's on the tips serves two purposes in that it increases the F-16's already impressive roll rate.....

You'll have to explain this one to me. I just assume that the -120's weigh a considerable bit more than the -9's. If that assumption is true, I don't understand how you can come up with the notion that having more weight out on the wing tips will give you a higher roll rate. Being an old helicopter pilot, I have grown up with the example of the figure skater speeding up their rate of spin by bringing their arms into the center of rotation and slowing the spin down by extending them. what am I missing with the case of the AIM-120's??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What kind of damage does flutter create vs the increased stress?

I can tell you about what happens if you load the A-2000 (IRIS-T) missiles to the wingtips..: flutter forces will brake missile's wings. So A-2000 is certified to load only on stations 2/8 and 3/7.

Not 100% sure but I believe there is a similar limit for AIM-9X on the wigntips.

There are a couple only public photos of these loads in the wingtips, these are old and before newer tests and documented limitations.

AMEDooley there are reports of cracking out there too, but I’ve tighten the horizontal bolts more times than I dare to count.

Yeah, that makes us weapons troops have to pull the -129 off cuz the fuel eats thru stuff!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus MOBO||Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core, 24 Thread Processor || MSI GTX 1070Ti 8GB GPU OverClocked || 32GB GSKILL DDR4 RAM @3600 || Samsung 1TB SSD || Samsung 250GB SSD || WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD || WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD || Thermaltake ToughPower GF1 850W PS || Thermaltake Tower || Windows 10 Pro 64bit || Thrustmaster Warthog and Cougar sticks, throttles and MFDs || Saitek Rudder Pedals || Trackir 5 ||

Just for visual reference, here's the "flutter" everyone is talking about:

1DK-zGLK6GQ

Wow, I had never seen nor heard of this issue with the F-16. I always assumed they carried 9s on the wingtips like everyone else. Quite an interesting little flaw there.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

YO PANTHER! Hope all is well with you and yours girl!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

YO PANTHER! Hope all is well with you and yours girl!

What's up Wicked? All is well here, excited to see the Viper is happening. :pilotfly:

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Panther, I was about to say the same thing. It’s been adding more stress to the wings and causing problems for sure. Can’t tell you how many times I had to grab a C-1 stand and tighten screws to stop a fuel leak on a go.

It was doing that before they carried the -120 on station 1 and 9. I did that once a week on Luke in the late 90 with a impact driver and a hammer. Until we dip the screws, I think we use B1/2.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..