Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Hey Wags, just to make sure we're seeing what you're seeing with those Rift-S units, send one of them to me and I'll concur with your findings sir. PM me for the address and thanks! Also, maybe when it's not so hot, let us know when we may join you at your desert house and do some volunteer voiceover work for upcoming modules, ATC, JTAC, Carrier, Etc...let us lend some variety to the game at no cost to you except a few beers and pizzas!

JUICE

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tried my new rift S yesterday and flown with :

A-10C

F18

P51D

and man... i never tried VR but this is insane.

No motion sickness. Yes if i look and focus on a tree I see some pixels but its immersive enough.

Years ago I was building a full simpit now im chilling behind my desk with my headset on :)

tried my new rift S yesterday and flown with :

A-10C

F18

P51D

and man... i never tried VR but this is insane.

No motion sickness. Yes if i look and focus on a tree I see some pixels but its immersive enough.

Years ago I was building a full simpit now im chilling behind my desk with my headset on :)

Way to go fellow.

Happy flying in your new gear.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

My IPD is 65 and the headband just fit my head. I got a massive improvement in comfort and I mean massive by removing the faceplate (It just pulls out) and just leaving that nose rubber in there. I was playing in this thing for 4 hours plus again last night which was unheard of with the CV1, No sweat, no pressure on the face and best of all a bigger FOV then the cv1 with it off. I can crank that thing right up to my eyeballs. I got used to the light leakage in less then 5 minutes and now don't even notice it unless I crank my eyes hard right or left just to look.

I wasn't disappointed in the resolution of this thing because I bought it on a whim because there is many months I expect before I could get an index so in short wasn't expecting much. Just bought it really because of a lot of posts here and I came across an Amazon offer that said you could have this in 2 days buy now.

The more I played with this thing the more I am loving it. Yeah I get the blurring at the edges but I no longer care as if something catches my eye my head natural turns towards it and it is clear. I don't need to take the HMD off to read the virtual desktop now, passthrough lets me see where that drink is and the cockpits of the planes are just amazing... Oh snap that is oil pressure!! Same with cars, trucks, spacships whatever sim I am playing.

Being able to turn off the labels and being able to successfully dogfight wwII fighters was what sold it for me. You get diminishing returns with range but that is the same in real life and it isn't going to be dealt with until there is foveated rendering combined with amazing panels and RTX9million graphics cards, imo not in the next few years.

I have gone from excited at launch, disappointed 10 seconds after launch, hopes pinned on the Index and then an impulse buy to very happy with this thing. For the state of the hardware we have to push these things I have come to understand I really like this thing.

This HMD isn't a quantum leap but it is a very welcome improvement,

Anyway. Pull the plate mate, you may end up liking it like me, VR time is limited to toilet breaks now ;)

Except for the sound. LOL Sennheisers ftw.

Sums up my experience as well. It’s way more comfortable and the extra clarity makes it a great purchase, I was worried whether I was wasting my time replacing my CV1 but now very happy.

Sums up my experience as well. It’s way more comfortable and the extra clarity makes it a great purchase, I was worried whether I was wasting my time replacing my CV1 but now very happy.

Yeah same here, no way I could go back to CV1 now. Loving my Rift S.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have just been pushed 1.38 (mandatory) and it is awful - stutters and jitters. Does anyone know how to revert and stop mandatory updates?

That is what happened to me as well today. Have you managed to solve the issue? Grrr...

HP Reverb, Intel I7 9700K, Zotac GTX 2080Ti, 32GB Ram @4000Mhz Corsair, SDD M.2 500GB Samsung 970 PRO

Rift S Passthrough

I’m not sure if I’ve missed where this was talked about or if it just hasn’t been picked up on yet but for those that may not know, the passthrough camera now works in DCS. A press of the menu button (flat, non raised key) on the right Rift S controller now enables the pass through camera view so you can see your controllers. It is also enabled in game if you remove and replace the headset while in the cockpit. A second press of the button puts you back in game.

Thank you for the heads up, i stopped my windows updates until thats worked out.

Good luck. The dev says he’s done and isn’t updating it. Will take someone to build it and sign it before it can be updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Good luck. The dev says he’s done and isn’t updating it. Will take someone to build it and sign it before it can be updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a huge bummer. I rely on vJoy/FreePIE to effectively use TrackIR in non-supported games such as AceCombat 7 and No Mans Sky. Hopefully someone will pick up the tab.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

This is a huge bummer. I rely on vJoy/FreePIE to effectively use TrackIR in non-supported games such as AceCombat 7 and No Mans Sky. Hopefully someone will pick up the tab.
I guess somebody will fix it, because it's a really useful program, i use it to merge my racing pedals into a single axys, it works really well, and it would suck to have to buy rudder pedals just because a Windows update broke vjoy...

Enviado desde mi ALE-L21 mediante Tapatalk

For those that are experiencing the bad tracking stutter with 1.38 - you might wanna check this out n give it a go.

I mananaged to completely resolve my issue. Might work for some of you, hopefully so.

Seems there might be an issue with the new update not liking ASMedia USB 3.1 gen2 ports.

Check the post and reddit link within.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3953300&postcount=8

Cheers,

Brick.

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

For those that are experiencing the bad tracking stutter with 1.38 - you might wanna check this out n give it a go.

I mananaged to completely resolve my issue. Might work for some of you, hopefully so.

Seems there might be an issue with the new update not liking ASMedia USB 3.1 gen2 ports.

Check the post and reddit link within.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3953300&postcount=8

Cheers,

Brick.

I’m having the issue connected to vanilla USB 3.0 ports, unfortunately. I am not sure if they are straight from the chipset or via an ASMedia controller, I think they are half and half, so maybe I’ll try a port in the other stack of 4 (I have 2 stacks of 4 USB 3.0, I think one is off the chipset and one off ASMedia)

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Please don't flame me if these are dumb questions... I am a VR newby.

1) Is there a way of seeing outside the VR world while still wearing the VR headset... a mapable button or something I can press while in DCS using VR so I can see my keyboard for a second or two, kit a key and then do back into VR?

2) On missions sometimes text panels get cut off and I can't read all the text. Is there a way of scrolling the text so that I can read the bottom of the text panel?

Besides this, overall impression moving from a 27" high resolution monitor with TrackIR to the Rift S is very positive. You give up resolution, but get a massive upgrade in immersion and situational awareness.

Thanks for answering / any advice. (Sorry if the questions are dumb.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Regarding text boxes, you have two mouse cursors selected with the "clickable cockpit" toggle. The green crosshairs allow you to interact with the cockpit, the white circle allows you to interact with text and menus.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I have clickable cockpit enabled. And I see the white dot when I want to interact with menus like radio commands etc. But the problem is different. When you have text boxes (listing what the mission narrator just read out) the first 20 or so lines of text area available to read, but if the instructions are lengthy I can't scroll the text up so as to be able to read the end of the instructions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To go VR after I got the Track IR 5 and everything else set up is going to be a hard (expensive) gulp. Going to have to wait.

:joystick:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]My Happy Place:

MSI Red Dragon SE Cool Master Case,MSI Z370 Gaming M5 M/B,Intel Core i7-8700K CPU,Cooler master 750 Watt P/S,Cool Master Hyper 212 Cooler,1TB SSD, 500 GB SSD, 4 TB 7200 HD's,32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666 MHZ Ram,MSI Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB Vid Card,Corsair Gear: Strafe, Harpoon, Void,Logitech Z906 1000 watt Surround,2 Asus 21.5” and 3 x LG 34” monitors,Track IR 5,Thrust Master Warthog Joystick and Throttle,TM Cougar MFD’s,CH Rudder Pedals.Good enough till next week.

Please don't flame me if these are dumb questions... I am a VR newby.

1) Is there a way of seeing outside the VR world while still wearing the VR headset... a mapable button or something I can press while in DCS using VR so I can see my keyboard for a second or two, kit a key and then do back into VR?

2) On missions sometimes text panels get cut off and I can't read all the text. Is there a way of scrolling the text so that I can read the bottom of the text panel?

Besides this, overall impression moving from a 27" high resolution monitor with TrackIR to the Rift S is very positive. You give up resolution, but get a massive upgrade in immersion and situational awareness.

Thanks for answering / any advice. (Sorry if the questions are dumb.)

The S has a pass through camera mode you can enable in the dash menu settings, that is accessed by pressing the dash button on the Oculus controller twice once the feature is enabled.

Unfortunately, you can't map this to another button.

And it is isn't of a resolution where you can read the lettering on a keyboard, but you can at least see where it is.

Ancient bug present with all HMD's i ahve tried so far.

Rift, rift s, pimax 5k etc.havent tried dcs with my original vive.

Can't see a reason to.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Any tips to deal with the heat of the Rift S?

Never had the issue with the CV1, but 5min in the Rift S and I'm sweating. Very unconfortable.

A fan would help, but the heat is still between my head and the Headset...

I hope VR Cover finally releases their replacement kits... Rift S foam is terrible.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Never had the issue with the CV1, but 5min in the Rift S and I'm sweating. Very unconfortable.

I hope VR Cover finally releases their replacement kits... Rift S foam is terrible.

VR headset tend to heat up. It was pretty serious when I started using vr. The initial nausea and dizziness made it worse but I have gotten accustomed to my headset.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I guess somebody will fix it, because it's a really useful program, i use it to merge my racing pedals into a single axys, it works really well, and it would suck to have to buy rudder pedals just because a Windows update broke vjoy...

Enviado desde mi ALE-L21 mediante Tapatalk

Slim chances, next to none. The original author doesn't support it anymore, while it's relatively easy to fork it and fix it for 1903 it will require a driver signature which is money and significant amount of red tape to get through.

There was a commednable attempt on vjoy forums, but the person who tried it got blocked by red tape and now is trying some bizarre approach of having the company they work for to sign it - in other words not going to happen no sane company will sign a driver like this one.

Edited by mdee

With regards to the intermittent white noise/static that flashes on the Rift S, has anybody successfully rectified this yet, or are we still awaiting a fix from Oculus?

I think mine is getting worse which is worrying.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Originally Posted by Gruman View Post

Hello, I changed my foam for a velor type interface from VR Cover, original one for the Rift or WMR works, and what a change! Just ripped the original one out and added velcro strips. Hope it helps