Ejection Seat Cushions

Terry

I was thinking about making a seat from scratch with a cut out for the control stick. Although I have the tools for making the seat, does anyone know where I could source or have made, the seat cushion to match the cut out.

Win 11, 12900K, 32Gb RAM, MSI Gaming Trio X 3090,  Varjo Aero, TM Warthog, PointCtrl, ViaComPro, Tactile Inducers, Next Level Racing Motion Platform.

You could buy a real ejection seat cushion, and then design your chair around it. I bought the complete ejection seat survival kit (box with seat cushion fastened to it), the lumbar back support cushion, the parachute pack (doubles as headrest), and the metal frame that supports the headrest/parachute for a real F-4, then built a wood frame around it to make a "sport scale" Martin Baker seat. I am not sure which cost more, the real F-4 parts or the wood (I used some thick, high quality wood to make it sturdy).

But to answer your question more directly: you could buy some foam... your choice on quality and thickness, then cut it to shape and have someone with sewing skills make a nice seat cover (preferably with velcro or a zipper so you can wash the cover and/or replace the foam).

My setup as it looked when I first completed it (made quite a few changes since then). This shot shows the seat design very well.

attachment.php?attachmentid=130931&d=1450763888

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi streakeagle, your seat is brilliant, exactly what I was considering making. I'll probably try to get someone handy with a sewing machine to make cushions. I had a look at the link The_Nephilim sent me, thanks, but the prices reflect that they re for real aircraft.

Win 11, 12900K, 32Gb RAM, MSI Gaming Trio X 3090,  Varjo Aero, TM Warthog, PointCtrl, ViaComPro, Tactile Inducers, Next Level Racing Motion Platform.

I made mine by cutting up an old foam matress topper to the correct shape. Then I cut up an old green army tarp to cover the top and fold underneath - then used grommits and elastic to hold it all tight from the bottom.

It's all a work-in-progress and a little crinkled now the cat likes to sleep on it, but seems to work quite well.

cockpit1.jpg

Your entire setup is very nice. I hope to get that far some day.

I made mine by cutting up an old foam matress topper to the correct shape. Then I cut up an old green army tarp to cover the top and fold underneath - then used grommits and elastic to hold it all tight from the bottom.

It's all a work-in-progress and a little crinkled now the cat likes to sleep on it, but seems to work quite well.

cockpit1.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I went to Lowes and bought an OD-greenish lawn chair cushions (seat and back, about $30). They fit perfectly on the ACES II seat I’d made with the free plans available online.

I’d love to have used an actual surplus seat, but the prices (and weight) were a bit much for my wallet.

I’d love to have used an actual surplus seat, but the prices (and weight) were a bit much for my wallet.

You backside would not have thanked you ;) ejection seat cushions are designed to prevent spinal injury in the event that the seat is used - any comfort they might also provide is purely by accident....

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

If I flew with an actual ejection seat, I wouldn’t be the one buying it nor the cushions. ;)

And you’re right, in the F-111 (ejection capsule; the only aircraft I have extensive sitting time in) the seat “cushions” were about 1 1/4” thick, and about as comfortable as sitting on a concrete bench with just a folded towel.

the seat cushion looks to be more like my new style ACES II cushion made by the same company the back pad looks to be fairly thin but for $84.00 USD with shipping I would jump on these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oregon-Aero-31044-1-A1-Helicopter-Seat-Cushion-Set-AH-64-AH-64D-Thin-Softseat/253038856327?hash=item3aea4a8887:g:6GsAAOSwy3NZY8p~

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.