[DCS BUG] Tanker not responding when flying with human RIO

bkthunder

Having a ton of fun flying with a friend as RIO, however it's impossible to get an answer from the tanker to refuel.

Tried several different missions, with Jester not a problem, but with human RIO it just doesn't work.

In the same MP mission flying with 3 friends, 2x in one aircraft and one with Jester, only the F-14 with Jester could contact the tanker.

Edited by IronMike

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Didn't happen to us in multiplayer. He may have had your radio set to the wrong setting

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Something didn't work for us either.. Everything was correctly set afaik, double and triple checked. between our two flights we could hear each others calls, but our flight would not get a response from the tanker even though we could hear the tanker respond to the other flight.

We've had it working fine in mutiplayer, but do get strange behaviour where it wont respond sometimes to Pilot or RIO. Generally switching channels, radios off/on sorts it eventually. Putting this down to just general desync comms problems we are seeing currently with human RIOs. I'm sure it will be cleared up fairly soon. Also we found better results if both pilot have their radios set to hear/transmit on both UHF1 & 2.

It's a bit of hit and miss. My flight, where I was RIO, could talk to the tanker but another flight on our server was unable to raise the same tanker with the same radio settings.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

As a RIO I had no trouble to talk to the tanker so far.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I’ve noticed it too, I think it is related to easy comms.

It seems if you are relying on easy comms to tune your radio for you, the first call must come from the pilot. After that the radio will be tuned to the correct frequency, and the RIO can do calls from that point forward.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

When flying online with host/client in the same plane, only the host can contact the tanker, whatever he's pilot or RIO.

I don't know yet what happened if an other plane with client/client is present and try to contact the tanker.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

When flying online with host/client in the same plane, only the host can contact the tanker, whatever he's pilot or RIO.

I don't know yet what happened if an other plane with client/client is present and try to contact the tanker.

Nope, I was client and flew with the host as my pilot, I was able to contact tankers, carrier and airfields.

But only after my reinstallation, as mentioned ;)

Gesendet von meinem F5121 mit Tapatalk

My RIO was the host and he couldn't contact the tanker

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

I’ve only done it client/client as we have a dedicated server.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Again today flying on Aerobatics online, some random guy jumped in the backseat and as expected, it was impossible to contact the tanker for either of us.

There is definitely something wrong here, and it has nothing to do with radios or incorrect frequencies.

We literally tried every radio on the jet, nothing works.

• 2 weeks later...

To me the same problem. A friend is hosting the mission and only he is able to contact tanker / AWACS / carrier, airfields and so on. When flying the same mission singleplayer everything is working fine.

Buttons are mapped correctly to radio 1 / 2 and frequencies are also not the problem.

When I try to contact tanker etc as the pilot i hear the request but get no answer. If human RIO contacts tanker etc I do not hear him requesting but get the answer.

Did not try client / client on a MP Server

In thrust we trust :thumbup:

Falls jemand Montags Abends Lust hat mit uns zusammen zu fliegen und Spass zu haben (Anfänger sind auch herzlich willkommen) kann gerne auf unserer Website: https://www.jg-frankonia.de vorbeischauen oder sich direkt bei uns im Discord melden: https://discord.gg/vHEJf3c

Eigene Server und viel Spass sind vorhanden :thumbup:

After playing around in MP, it seems as if the RIO must make sure he is set to transmit on the radio set with the freq. If the switch is set to both, it doesnt seem to work. Also it seems even if the RIO has the correct freq set on his radio, the pilot does not get a response if transmitting over the backseat radio.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry to read that you had troubles using the radios. There are multiple reports in this thread, and I can't get a consistent picture of what isn't working for you. Unfortunately, most of the reports don't contain enough detail to reproduce the conditions under which the radios don't work. Thus, I can't tell if something is a bug or a user error. The radios and radio communication may seem to be simple, but it's the opposite. Multiple options available (Easy Communication, F-14B radio menu special options), two radios and one intercom, and two sets of controls make it quite a complex system.

Therefore, I need to ask you to include more details in your future reports related to the radio systems. Please describe all the actions you take in the simulator. Specify if you are using Easy Communication or not and if you use any radio related special option. Take screenshots, and if possible, please include the mission.

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Flying the F-14 as a Pilot with Jester AI works flawlessly regarding the radios no matter whether single or multiplayer.

Note Radio buttons are configurad correctly and work flawlessly in single player and multiplayer. Radio1 Radio2 and Intercomm

This is what we encountered:

Pilot (me) and human RIO (my friend)

Situation: Flying together. Me as Pilot and my friend as RIO and game host.

Outcome: Radio requests for ATC, Tanker, AWACS etc only work when RIO (game host) is requesting. Me as a pilot requesting gets no answer at all. I hear my requests as pilot but do not get a response.

When my RIO requests any of them I do not hear his request (regardless which radio he uses) but he gets a reply which i can hear.

Situation: Flying together on a public MP server.

Outcome: Radios work as intended. Pilot and RIO can request ATC; AWACS etc and get answers. IF I as pilot request ATC etc my RIO does not hear my request but I get an answer.

If RIO requests I can not hear his request but can hear the answer we get. So only thing which does not work is listening to each others request (may be intended I do not know how this is in the real F-14)

Another funny sidenote (If it may help to solve this problem):

When looking at the F-14 from outside the description says F-14 and then thename of the RIO not of the Pilot.

Falls jemand Montags Abends Lust hat mit uns zusammen zu fliegen und Spass zu haben (Anfänger sind auch herzlich willkommen) kann gerne auf unserer Website: https://www.jg-frankonia.de vorbeischauen oder sich direkt bei uns im Discord melden: https://discord.gg/vHEJf3c

Flying the F-14 as a Pilot with Jester AI works flawlessly regarding the radios no matter whether single or multiplayer.

Note Radio buttons are configurad correctly and work flawlessly in single player and multiplayer. Radio1 Radio2 and Intercomm

This is what we encountered:

Pilot (me) and human RIO (my friend)

Situation: Flying together. Me as Pilot and my friend as RIO and game host.

Outcome: Radio requests for ATC, Tanker, AWACS etc only work when RIO (game host) is requesting. Me as a pilot requesting gets no answer at all. I hear my requests as pilot but do not get a response.

When my RIO requests any of them I do not hear his request (regardless which radio he uses) but he gets a reply which i can hear.

Situation: Flying together on a public MP server.

Outcome: Radios work as intended. Pilot and RIO can request ATC; AWACS etc and get answers. IF I as pilot request ATC etc my RIO does not hear my request but I get an answer.

If RIO requests I can not hear his request but can hear the answer we get. So only thing which does not work is listening to each others request (may be intended I do not know how this is in the real F-14)

Another funny sidenote (If it may help to solve this problem):

When looking at the F-14 from outside the description says F-14 and then thename of the RIO not of the Pilot.

Thank you. The last point is DCS side and nothing we can do about. I am afraid this counts for the server host issue as well. That said we will of course look into it, but from over 10 years flying experience, DCS sometimes behaves strangely if the client is also the server host, although usually in the way that some things will work for everyone except the host, in this case it seems the other way around. We hope we can do something about it. Thank you again.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Youre welcome Iron Mike. Trying to help improve this awesome 'cat!

Thank you for your work. We already have a blast flying this beauty :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks for looking into it. I can confirm the same situation that McTschegsn has explained for a friend and I, except swapping the seats. Host is in the Pilot seat and I am in the RIO seat.

I cannot get a response from tanker, but he is able to. I can hear the response from the tanker. The communications menu for me does not change (always stays on Intent to refuel).