The question about Game/Arcade mode in DCS post MAC era.

Worrazen

The question about Game/Arcade mode in DCS post MAC era.  

68 members have voted

1. 1. The question about Game/Arcade mode in DCS post MAC era.

• Yes, don't ever need it.
    • Yes, it may be moved and adapted into MAC
    • No

So a while back I started coming up with forward looking ideas and things the community should start thinking about to give everyone a better sense of sureness going forward, ensure the future is even better, rather than only some of the popular hot topics. I actually made quite a big post months ago and I'll probably have to go find it again as I forgot all the points I made, but that's for another thread.

I do remember one clearly, it's the question of the direction/focus/gravitation DCS will be going in terms of realism and difficulty, what really are considered cheats and what are genuine helpers/time reducers, whether DCS would go more hardcore in a serious fashion once MAC launches, etc,

But I'll keep things simple otherwise it's too overwhelming, so I'll just start out with one of the easiest, whether easy modes, game modes and arcade stuff would be removed completely when MAC launches? This includes all the crosshairs and radar-helpers in the F view modes, but does not include the actual view modes them selfs, nor the real cockpit screens if they're shown up in first person view mode (no cockpit, only HUD) so those would be okay.

Some of the reasons: I myself am for it, to be removed, but it's not the strongest opinion, if a decision is made it would be supported and maintained then it's not affecting me directly at all either way.

While I could talk all about the maintenance burden, programming code, complexity, possibilities for buggy behavior, it's probably not such a big deal in the overall simulator, it probably doesn't affect the devs directly if they don't deal with it routinely, it's not that of a heavy thing so it probably doesn't do that much harm just sitting there, so these aren't big enough reasons. However I got brainstormy and figure some future possible effect, so that's why my personal biggest reason for removal is that it would prevent some evolving MAC players or just the influx of new players who would ride the MAC hypetrain and kinda jump in the middle of everything, from causing unwelcome behavior in the community, drama, by trying to act tough while emulating a MAC or lesser (F2Ps, etc) experience by abusing DCS's game/arcade modes. The last thing we need is people abusing DCS game mode to brag about their "DCS skillz" to their MAC or external friends, or similar, right? That's what MAC is for and they can have all the fun there and I don't look up to them not at all, but then DCS should be DCS.

TLDR: The purpose of this thread is that as many are on the same page ahead of time, and that it hopefully prevents remorse when the feature is removed, while they didn't use or knew about it in the first place, or rarely, but would want to try it out after they learned it was removed. Which I myself was not immune to either in my past with some unrelated things, but DCS is a place where I strive to suppress the subjectivity.

What's also not covered in that GR video is the fact you can actually use much more camera modes with Shift+F? and CTRL+F? to get some of those features of the arcade/game mode, even without game mode. That's how the "3rd person" view mode is achieved.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I have never used Game/Arcade mode. I understand why it is there however the removal of it I would suspect will affect very few people who are here for the long haul.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I have never used Game/Arcade mode. I understand why it is there however the removal of it I would suspect will affect very few people who are here for the long haul.

I agree with you I have never used the Game/Arcade mode. I also understand it could be used as a tool to help new people experience this hobby and eventually move into the study sim. I'm good with it either way.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

I don't see any point wasting resources on maintaining this mode in DCS either, especially once MAC arrived.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I don't think it'll be missed, if anything, its removal might solve some issues with it being accidentally enabled for some users. Personally, I remember trying it once years ago, when I first got the A-10C (my first full fidelity), but it was more confusing to use than the actual aircraft avionics.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Had to say no on this.

Even if you or I don't use it, there are people that do, and they have paid $ just like us.

Reverse the situation for a second. How would you answer a poll to do away with full fidelity and make all modules FC3 level?