Normandy Development Update - October 16, 2013

luthier1

Even though I appreciate the effort - a feet or two of water poured over a field will never be blue from above - or from any angle ;). But I'm sure you are well aware of that and this is just a very first test... But still - I think that the flooding (even though historically correct) will be very hard to get right? If you "pour" brownish water over the fields it will probably just look strange anyway? Water like that should not have a "defined" edge, but rather a "fade to soaked ground/mud" - and I just can't see that done right without a lot of effort that could be spent on more important stuff? Many will for sure not agree :)

Something like this flooded field IRL - but how to get this right in a sim?

k0q4.png

But I do like the new cliffs! Good stuff!

maybe they should try something similar like they did with the il2 1046 rivers colourwise?the colour on the shore of the river looks pretty muddy here, but still reflects the surrounding like trees.if they get something like this done and even achieve to not have such pronounced edges of the flooded fields, then i think it would look pretty realistic...

il2fb2009-11-2816-13-55-66.jpg

oh and looking at the current WIP pics, it seems that water in EDGE is transparent?so if they "just" increase this effect, so that the surface beneath the water becomes more visible it should look better as well...

attachment.php?attachmentid=89597&d=1381930348

Edited by 9./JG27 DavidRed

Yeah, this is the sort of appearance I had in mind. The current WIP version looks more like a lake than a flooded field, but just having less clearly defined edges would help that a lot.

Probably the most important thing to get a flooded appearance.

I'm living in Normandy and as a private pilot I fly above this area often ... I never show this area so full of water ... you have big grass who cover water in flooted area ... and anyway when field are full of water (really not often), the color is Brown but not bleu at all .... it little look like field in Kazan's Area in Russia when snow leave in April...

It's certainly hard to do realistic bog with simulation engine...

I am however willing to bet that you did not fly above this area in June 1944. ;)

This was flooding initiated by the germans on-purpose, as a defensive fortification, not storm flooding. How differnetly this would look is however a good question (anyone able to find a color photograph? There were some pretty good color photographic films even back then, so perhaps we can get lucky?).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I am however willing to bet that you did not fly above this area in June 1944. ;)

You never know ;) Makes me think of this story I heard from a friend that is an ATC:

The German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are a short-tempered lot. They not only expect one to know one's gate parking location but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (a PanAm 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground control and a British Airways 747 (call sign "Speedbird 206") after landing:

Speedbird 206: "Top of the morning Frankfurt, Speedbird 206 clear of the active runway."

Ground: "Guten morgen! You will taxi to your gate!"

The big British Airways 747 pulled onto the main taxi way and slowed to a stop.

Ground: "Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?"

Speedbird 206: "Stand by a moment ground, I'm looking up our gate location now."

Ground (with some arrogant impatience): "Speedbird 206, have you never flown to Frankfurt before?!?"

Speedbird 206 (coolly): "Yes, I have, in 1944. In another type of Boeing. I didn't stop."

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD