Pilot textures

pixelpilot

Perfect Whiplash. Looks much better now :thumbup:

Lookin good!

A little help, Please.

Which Lua script do I need to change and where is it located?

Thx!

tttiger,

your P-51 skins are located here: (DCS Game Root Directory)\Bazar\Liveries\P-51D

1. Pick a skin you would like to add the WWII pilot to. Lets say USAF Big Beautiful Doll, for example.

2. Copy/paste the files from the "WWII US 15th Air Force Pilot Skin" download into the USAF Big Beautiful Doll folder (link to WWII Pilot Texture Download).

3. Within the Big Beautiful Doll folder is a file called "description.lua" you can open the file with notepad but it is better if you open it with Notepad++ (Download Link)

4. Copy the following text:

{"pilot_P51_patch", 0 ,"pilot_P51_WWII_patch",false};

{"pilot_P51_body", 0 ,"pilot_P51_WWII",false};

5. Replace the highlighted text line shown below ( {"pilot_P51_body", 0 ,"empy",false}; ) with the text you copied in step 4.

Temp2_zps2e23628e.jpg

6. If it's not there already, copy/past this text:

id = 4 -- USAF Pilot with WWII helmet

into the very bottom of the description.lua file.

When you are all done it should look like this:

Temp2_zps5662f253.jpg

Edited by Whiplash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."

Dogs of War Dedicated WWII Server Thread

Very good explanation Whiplash.

I even used JSGME for this mod.

Just created a new mod folder and named it (i.e P51 skins), then copied/pasted all the planes skins i downloaded from the web, then added more DCS stock skins i wanted to see with this pilot texture mod, did what you explained just above, activated the mod on top of all my others, and voila!

This way, no update deleting files :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmm, I open the description with Notepad, make the changes and try to save them but I get an "access denied" message.

Any hints?

ttt

Fifi -- I can't understand what you said you did.

You put all the skins in a Mod File and then what? How did you get the pilot skin in there without changing anything?

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!

Tom, you have first to open property of the file, and clic modify to give you all rights to make any changes (check for all users sub categories).

When you get your new mod created folder with all the P51 skins folders inside (i.e taken from World/Bazar\Liveries\P-51D) you can add the 3 pilot dds files (of this pilot texture mod) in each one you want, then open with notepad++ the description lua file that is inside each skin folder, and modify it as Whiplash explained above :thumbup:

What i did is allow, in property of each skin folder, to make all changes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Whoa! I still can't figure out what you're saying.

You have to give me a path to follow (my computer skills are strictly monkey see, monkey do).

Worse, I installed JSGME and lost all my missions files. Probably gonna have to download and everything again.

Is there any kind of a recover function?

Shit.

Edited by HotTom

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!

Tom, you have first to open property of the file, and clic modify to give you all rights to make any changes (check for all users sub categories).

If it is this step making you trouble:

975581Sanstitre.jpg

1) right clic the folder you want to allow all rights (i.e a skin folder but here i took whatever to show))

2) choose security tab

3) choose any lines of users to modify (highlighted in blue)

4) clic modify

5) check all boxes (N°4)

6) clic apply

7) re-do for other users (in blue)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JSGME is definitely the way to go. I'm not positive but I think that any default skin you modify will be replaced the next time you update DCS World. I use JSGME for all my mods including skins. It keeps everything clean. I just didn't think to go that far back in describing how it works for a thread on pilot textures. By far the best thread that covers everything you need to know about JSGME can be found here.

In addition to to what Fifi said about changing the property of the file to allow read and write of the description.lua file, I'll add that I never ran into any trouble like tttiger descried with saving those files. I used notepad++ though. Not sure how notepad++ could change the file with out read/write authorization but like I said the issue never came up. If you are still having trouble just do save as... Name it something else, then delete the old description.lua file and rename the new one description.lua.

Also I updated the WWII Pilot texture download. You really don't need the WWII Pilot helmet file. You already have that file installed in the game you just need to make sure you have the Id = 4 at the bottom of the description.lua file. If you ever want to make your own unique helmet with your name or something on it then add that file to your desired skin folder and use the line of code I posted that had to do with the helmet. (that probably sounds confusing so maybe it's just best not to worry about it lol)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."

Ah, that's good to know, so only 2 of the 3 files of old download.

Yeah, and like I said I updated the texture file so now it only has the patch and body textures plus the install directions I posted earier today for tttiger. It hasn't been reviewed yet so it can't be accessed at this time but it usually only takes them a day or two to review and accept user uploaded files.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]