HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Hey guys. Does anybody have any advice in regards to a thicker face pad? I cant find a replacement one for the reverb pro and need a little more distance to my eyes for the sweetspot.

I have the exact same problem as well. Not sure if there are aftermarket thicker facepads for the reverb yet. I don't think so. But I mostly got it fixed by using some thin 3/8" weather stripping from Home Depot (DIY store for those not in the US). Experiment with the thickness. Not elegant, but it works. Pics here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4247718&postcount=68

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

i have it slightly worse because i use the vr lenses which push back a bit further so i cut a bit of foam to fit in the "t" section in the middle of the headset, its not elegant but it does work

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I'm curious..

I got a Reverb about a month ago and I got the fake leather face gasket. Isn't that a "Pro" feature?

what are the differences between the regular and the Pro. also... I feel like the regular face gasket would be better for a home user. Is there a place to buy them?

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I'm curious..

I got a Reverb about a month ago and I got the fake leather face gasket. Isn't that a "Pro" feature?

what are the differences between the regular and the Pro. also... I feel like the regular face gasket would be better for a home user. Is there a place to buy them?

Just go to Amazon and buy the VR Cover facepad replacement for the HTC Vive. It fits the Reverb perfectly, gives slightly more eye relief, and is much more comfortable than the stock HP facepads. They're 29 bucks for 2 of them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V7MV1R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Heh. Funny that you called it the fake leather face gasket. HP claims that its real leather, but it definitely isn't.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Just go to Amazon and buy the VR Cover facepad replacement for the HTC Vive. It fits the Reverb perfectly, gives slightly more eye relief, and is much more comfortable than the stock HP facepads. They're 29 bucks for 2 of them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V7MV1R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh wow, that looks sweet! I think I'll try it. Thanks.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

OK so back to the Motion Reprojection discussion... So I finally found all the settings as per Imacken and Stuartaston. Thanks for the help on that BTW. I started experimenting with settings to get the smoothest feel possible. Previous to going to 2.5.6 OB and the Reverb, I was running 2.5.5 stable on an HTC Vive Pro. I was able to have High on all the settings, MSAA x2, PD on 1.5, etc etc with buttery smooth frame rates.

Now with 2.5.6, I have MSAA off now and PD set to 1.0. I followed the advice to run the Steam VR settings at 100% (native I assume), and enable Motion Reprojection / Motion Smoothing through Steam VR settings. I even deleted the fxo and metashader2 folders as suggested. It was still a tiny bit juddery when I would roll 90 while looking left or right at a large city (abu Dhabi in PG module / Free flight / instant action). I was about to give up when I went back to Steam VR one more time. On the in game application settings for Motion smoothing -I changed "enabled" to "FORCE ALWAYS ON". I went back and tried the same setup and it made a huge difference with no other changes. I'm getting a fairly constant 45fps and the objects and terrain out the window are now flowing by very smoothly.

And yes, I did // comment out the motion reprojection line in the vr default text file.

My frame rates definitely went down after I switched over to 2.5.6 although it might partially be the Reverb is a graphics hog more than the Vive was. I hope ED fixes that soon. However, I've got it to the point where I'm happy and performance seems fine to fly. I haven't done any MP stuff, so it may be complete;y different if I was on a complex mission with jets flying everywhere.

Edited by Notso

I'm curious to see what they will come up with after the Reverb. Looks like hp is working with valve and Microsoft on this and says it's coming soon.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/23/21191386/hp-microsoft-valve-windows-mixed-reality-reverb-vr-headset-new-announce-half-life-alyx

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

OK so back to the Motion Reprojection discussion... So I finally found all the settings as per Imacken and Stuartaston. Thanks for the help on that BTW. I started experimenting with settings to get the smoothest feel possible. Previous to going to 2.5.6 OB and the Reverb, I was running 2.5.5 stable on an HTC Vive Pro. I was able to have High on all the settings, MSAA x2, PD on 1.5, etc etc with buttery smooth frame rates.

Now with 2.5.6, I have MSAA off now and PD set to 1.0. I followed the advice to run the Steam VR settings at 100% (native I assume), and enable Motion Reprojection / Motion Smoothing through Steam VR settings. I even deleted the fxo and metashader2 folders as suggested. It was still a tiny bit juddery when I would roll 90 while looking left or right at a large city (abu Dhabi in PG module / Free flight / instant action). I was about to give up when I went back to Steam VR one more time. On the in game application settings for Motion smoothing -I changed "enabled" to "FORCE ALWAYS ON". I went back and tried the same setup and it made a huge difference with no other changes. I'm getting a fairly constant 45fps and the objects and terrain out the window are now flowing by very smoothly.

And yes, I did // comment out the motion reprojection line in the vr default text file.

My frame rates definitely went down after I switched over to 2.5.6 although it might partially be the Reverb is a graphics hog more than the Vive was. I hope ED fixes that soon. However, I've got it to the point where I'm happy and performance seems fine to fly. I haven't done any MP stuff, so it may be complete;y different if I was on a complex mission with jets flying everywhere.

Yep, ‘enabled’ is equivalent to ‘auto’, and ‘force always on’ equivalent to ‘motionvector’. A smooth 45fps is fine.

A couple of other points. Firstly, there are several quite heated threads about VR degraded performance in 2.5.6. ED are working on this. Secondly, try other values than 100% for SteamVR SS. I run at 150% and find that makes a huge difference to clarity.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Heh. Funny that you called it the fake leather face gasket. HP claims that its real leather, but it definitely isn't.

The Vive one fits ok? Without any mods?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The Vive one fits ok? Without any mods?

Yup. Fits perfectly, right out of the package. I have my nose piece removed, but I don't think it would make a difference with fit. Just have the nose piece removed to help keep cold screens from fogging up, with the added bonus of being able to easily peek at the keyboard when I need to.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Oh wow, that looks sweet! I think I'll try it. Thanks.

It also helped quite a bit with the problem we both have of being able to see the screen edges. It doesn't completely eliminate the problem, but it reduces it to a level where its barely noticeable.

Yup. Fits perfectly, right out of the package. I have my nose piece removed, but I don't think it would make a difference with fit. Just have the nose piece removed to help keep cold screens from fogging up, with the added bonus of being able to easily peek at the keyboard when I need to.

Interesting, considering that my Vive Pro felt very different on my face compared to the Reverb. My issue with the Reverb is that I get light leaks at the sides.

Interesting, considering that my Vive Pro felt very different on my face compared to the Reverb. My issue with the Reverb is that I get light leaks at the sides.

I think on the Amazon link, in the questions section, there was somebody who asked if it would fit their Vive Pro. The answer he was given was that it doesn't fit the Vive Pro. Definitely fits the Reverb though. Doesn't have the alignment pegs like the HP facepad does, of course, but the hook-and-loop interface material is enough to hold it securely in place.

Got my Reverb running DCS almost smooth all of the time - here's some of my results.

DCS 2.5.5 Standalone

I got it to the point where it is solid 45fps 99% of the time:

It occasionally dips below 45 fps (43) when looking straight up on a 90 degree banked turn when about 100ft off the ground looking across a thick forest in Caucasus. And it may dip FPS occasionally in MP with 40 people in intense/busy moments. 99% of the time is smooth.

I have set "Forced" Motion Reprojection / smoothing in the Steam VR interface (per application DCS)

(Commented out the line in the MWR for VR file to allow use of the Steam VR interface to set it)

I tried "auto" reprojection, but it's rare to get to 90fps, so to avoid the judder when it swaps from 90 to 45, I just forced it to on (always at 45)

My Steam VR settings

WMR for Steam VR: (version beta)

Steam VR: (version non-beta)

Steam VR Resolution Scale: 100%

Steam Advanced Supersample Filtering; OFF - cant tell the difference, doesn't seem to have any effect.

DCS Settings

PD; 1.0

MSAA 2x

Textures HIGH

Terrain Textures LOW (still experimenting)

Water MED

Heat Blur LOW

Traffic LOW

Shadows OFF

Terrain Object Shadows OFF

Cockpit Display res 256 (still experimenting)

Vis Range HIGH

Lens Flare Dust/Dirt OFF

Motion blur / Depth of field / SSAA All OFF

Trees 100% (I prefer no popup/growing trees)

Clutter/Grass OFF

Preload radius 10000

Anisotropic Filtering 8x (Still experimenting for 16x)

Global cockpit Illum OFF

Droplets ON

--------

I've tried Steam Resolution Scale 150% and of course it does look clearer, but I have to disable MSAA to use Scale 150% and for me the MSAA x0 Aliaising Jaggies are too much to bear when using at 150%, so I compromised : 100% Scale and MSAA x2

Cockpit Display Res is 256, It is still much much clearer than my Oculus Rift-S so I am happy at 256. Will try more as time goes on.

Can't figure out if Steam VR "Advanced Supersample Filtering" ON does any improvement, looks the same either ON or OFF to me. The frame rate doesn't appear to change either.

Water Med - if I use High, there is a weird Aliased reflection on the water when at low altitude flying and creates a horrible band of jaggies on the horizon or at the water's edge. So I set to MED to get rid of the reflections. Noticed this with Rift-S as well.

Shadows all OFF - can't keep solid frame rate in heavy situations with any shadows so I have them off. (Same with Rift-S) Shadows of trees/buildings have horrid Jaggies in the distance when at Low settings so I have given up on shadows.

-----------

I imagine some point in the future there will be Grfx optimisations to DCS and I will be able to improve the graphic appearance. For now it is a very nice improvement over the Rift-S.

---------

Comfort

My IPD is exactly 63.5 - I measured it myself.

Can see the LCD screen edges - especially in the lower portion, producing the "Diver's Mask effect".

I can push the HMD up my face & rest it on my upper cheek bones, this removes the problem, but then the sweet spot clear focus is up too high and also the lower portion of the vertical FoV is compromised. My cheek bones maybe aren't big enough I guess to push the HMD away from my eyes. One of those VIVE VR Covers might help.

The cable.... oh god the cable.. It's too heavy and the clip connection makes it worse.

Bad design flaw there. I've cable tied the clip/connector to the rear of the head mount and that has helped. I still feel the cable weight when turning my head. I have the cable attached to the side of my rig so it has less weight pulling down, but it's so heavy and doesn't really flex much, it's impossible to solve completely.

The horizontal FoV not much bigger than the Rift-S which is disappointing - The Reverb is listed as having a higher FoV. The resolution clarity over the Rift-S is miles ahead (Double?)

SDE is very tiny - looks almost like a monitor screen.

The Motion Reprojection is 'different' to the Rift-S implementation of ASW motion smoothing. Sometimes (Reverb) I see obvious wobbly edges on cockpit windows, building facades, mountain tops etc. It is noticeable, but not enough to stop playing. That said, the Rift-S had some ghosting issues.

I tried forcing 60FPS in WMR Portal, but there were some noticeable artifacts (strange glassy trees) (dimmer screen), (slight flickering of LCD) and to maintain solid 60FPS I have to turn down the resolution scaling which is not visually appealing. Also 30FPS Motion-Reprojection is really not viable for long term use.

Overall - happy but some issues to iron out.

Edited by JasonJ

Sim Rig || Pics 2010 |

PC 2019 || 8600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX2080ti OC | 32GB RAM @3000 | 500GB SSD | Win10 64bit |

PC 2010 || 2600K @ 3.4GHz | Zotac GTX680 | 8GB RAM | Win7 64bit Ultimate SP1 |

Cockpit || Joystick: T.16000M | Pedals: Logitech G25 | Throttle & Collective: Logitech Attack3 Modded | Button Box: G25 Shifter |

Cockpit || HP Reverb VR | Custom Frame & Seat | 3x Bass Shaker | 2:1 Game Sound | 2x Rear Head Rest Speakers Comms/Music |

Yep, ‘enabled’ is equivalent to ‘auto’, and ‘force always on’ equivalent to ‘motionvector’. A smooth 45fps is fine.

A couple of other points. Firstly, there are several quite heated threads about VR degraded performance in 2.5.6. ED are working on this. Secondly, try other values than 100% for SteamVR SS. I run at 150% and find that makes a huge difference to clarity.

Cool, I'll try 150%. I was under the impression from previous threads that the Reverb needed to run at native resolution.

I’ve said it before, but IMO, the only things that really affect performance are SS, MSAA and Shadows.

It’s all just about juggling these to your personal preference. For the record, I use 150%, off and off in 2.5.6. In 2.5.5, I ran 150%, off and low.

I really wish we had the hardware to run 200%, x2 and high!

guys im having an issue with Reverb in DCS. 2 patches ago everything started. When i start Beta with any plane i can look left, right, up, down but i cant lean or do any other movement (well i can but in that case instead of leaning the whole screen is moving). Well it looks like basic Track IR effect. Then they did a patch and everything was fine but now with latest patch im back with the same problem. Tried erasing all the settings, repair DCS but nottin helped. Alpha is running ok problem is just with Beta. Any solution for this?

guys im having an issue with Reverb in DCS. 2 patches ago everything started. When i start Beta with any plane i can look left, right, up, down but i cant lean or do any other movement (well i can but in that case instead of leaning the whole screen is moving). Well it looks like basic Track IR effect. Then they did a patch and everything was fine but now with latest patch im back with the same problem. Tried erasing all the settings, repair DCS but nottin helped. Alpha is running ok problem is just with Beta. Any solution for this?

You’ve lost 6 DOF. That is a WMR tracking issue. Nothing to do with DCS. try rerunning the WMR setup.

Btw, there is no Alpha version, but I can’t understand why your tracking would be ok in one app and not another. Makes no sense. Is this in the same VR session?

If the Tracking works in the WMR Portal fine, then it works also in DCS.

Important: It have to work, before you start SteamVR.

@ micsmotionsimulator

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

See post #5193 in this thread (https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4252193&postcount=5193).