Saitek Rudder Pedals Toe Break Help

Hi,

I recently got some second hand Saitek Rudder Pedals, these ones: http://www.saitek.com/uk/imgs/product/rudder%20pedals/rudder-pedals-01.jpg

But the seller neglected to say that the right toe brake doesn't work, I think it's a dirty pot, so I was thinking of opening it up and cleaning it with a contact cleaner spray.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which potentiometer controls the right toe break? I'm not sure where to locate it based off this image:

http://s1132.photobucket.com/user/peterpank1/media/Mods/11.jpg.html

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks,

Mick

It's under the pedal cover. here's the left one.

http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6268&title=mods-to-saitek-rudder-pedals&cat=535

Edit: Oh yea, to remove the pedal cover you push the little silver "Push" button and slide the top pedal rest up, when you get to the bottom hole, push it in again and the top rest will slide up and off the mount. Then you'll see the screws to remove the cover.

Edited by txmtb
Add info

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

check the wiring while you are in there. I think sometimes a broken wire on the Saiteks is the cause of the toe brake not working.

i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs

Flight Controls:Virpil VPC MoogoosT-50 / MFG Crosswinds / GVL Throttle / Oculus Rift CV1

I also have saitek pedals, my toe breaks have also broken and the cause was a broken wire.

My system:

Intel Core i7 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16Gb Crucial 1600mhz DDR3, MSI GTX660 Gaming, Scythe Mugen 4, Samung 850 EVO 500GB, Fractal Design Define R4, WD Green 2TB, Windows 10

TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Rudders

DCS:

A10C, UH-1, F15C

"When everything seem to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it..."

Henry Ford

Looks like you might have a dry solder on the pot, or just a dirty pot.

I'd propose blasting the pot with some contact cleaner and sweeping the axis a few times.

If that does not aolve the issue then I'd look at the pot itself. Put some pressure on the spade connectors and test the axis while doing so. If it solves the problem then you need to look at the tabs the spades connect to.

476th vFG Alumni

unfortunately Contact Cleaner did not help, problem persists... Wish I had enough money for crosswind pedals.

Would like to fix these though, @Ragtop - I've applied pressure to the spade connectors and there seems to make no difference to the issue. Must be a wire then?

Wire seems possible. I'd trace the center (Analog value) wire out and give it a jiggle. It could be the others but you seem to have a consistent connection indicating its probably not a power wire.

Last time I saw this it was the actual tab where it connects to the pcb on the pot - which is why I suggested putting a little pressure there.

If you chase the wire then take a look at the friction areas (Any kind of areas the wire could rub when you move the rudders).

Last resort before replacing the pot would be re soldering the lines to it.

476th vFG Alumni

In my unit the wires were broken in the base itself, so the middle part (with the 16 screws or something), use the "how to remove centre detent in saitek pedals" guide to open up yours.

My system:

Intel Core i7 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16Gb Crucial 1600mhz DDR3, MSI GTX660 Gaming, Scythe Mugen 4, Samung 850 EVO 500GB, Fractal Design Define R4, WD Green 2TB, Windows 10

TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Rudders

DCS:

A10C, UH-1, F15C

"When everything seem to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it..."

Henry Ford

As the "last resort"

Remove the pot' and disassemble then, wash with isopropyl alcohol (or cleaner spray).

Add angle to "wiper's" that sweep the resistive track.

A disassembled (CH stick) pot':

Pot.jpg

If all fail, replace the pot - and now start your real problem, the ~30º pot' used in joystick is not sold in electronics shop, only Saitek can help you, if... :D

Edited by Sokol1_br

• 3 years later...
As the "last resort"

Remove the pot' and disassemble then, wash with isopropyl alcohol (or cleaner spray).

Add angle to "wiper's" that sweep the resistive track.

A disassembled (CH stick) pot':

Pot.jpg

If all fail, replace the pot - and now start your real problem, the ~30º pot' used in joystick is not sold in electronics shop, only Saitek can help you, if... biggrin.gif

In my case the cables break at the joint of the conectors. Looks like they are clipped on the white 3-in conector (Neutral, GND, Positive?). How to setup correct clipping (all cables are gray twisted and looks like they have a thin transparent plastic cover)? How to identify where to place each one? Where to buy this conectors? Wich tool I should use to clip? It's the connector just above the circle with number 1 (one). I should pay someone for maintenance. Would I find someone in Brazil?:helpsmilie::thumbup:saitekpedal.jpg

Edited by Tales R.

Pot's tab are:

Power

Signal

Ground

By invert Power and Ground invert pot reading direction, then the only critical wire is signal.

Probable Power and Ground wires are shared with all pot's.

Signal wire are individual for each pot.

An good replacement cable is microphone cables, they are insulated and strong, but first assure that channels in pedal structure have space for them.

Picture of connector is too bad to defines, but looks a micro-JST* connector. If you take a better picture of connector helps identity.

* Problem with this kind of connector is that require a specific crimping tool (not cheap), but you can buy then crimped with cables, sample (assure first that is this type that you need):

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-1023508243-mini-micro-conector-jst-sh1-4-vias-125mm-macho-e-femea-_JM?quantity=1

should pay someone for maintenance. Would I find someone in Brazil?

In Brazil, well... "voce esta no mato, sem cachorro". :D

But look if this shop still in business.

https://pilotovirtual.com.br/assistencia-tecnica-saitek/

If not, be creative (DIY). ;)