F-86

nick10

Hmm F86 vs SU27 or Mig 29....one has BVR, the other has....VR...once has AMRAAM type radar guided missles...the other has....6 x .50 cal MGs. I love that there's more a/c coming but seriously...someone's got to consider playability. I've played on a server which has:

- war in Georgia

- russians who have T92s, Strelas, other SAMs

- using....wait for it....F15s (yes), A10s (yes), P51s (what??), UH1s (what??), Mi8s (what??)..etc etc.

Catch my drift?

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

Hmm F86 vs SU27 or Mig 29....one has BVR, the other has....VR...once has AMRAAM type radar guided missles...the other has....6 x .50 cal MGs.

MiG-15 is in the works/plans somewhere.

I love that there's more a/c coming but seriously...someone's got to consider playability. I've played on a server which has:

- war in Georgia

- russians who have T92s, Strelas, other SAMs

- using....wait for it....F15s (yes), A10s (yes), P51s (what??), UH1s (what??), Mi8s (what??)..etc etc.

Catch my drift?

Not really, that's all on the mission designer. The big servers like catering to all comers, so I wouldn't be surprised if the P-51's were still puttering about whenever we get F-22's. It doesn't stop you from making a mission with more even sides, I tend to make those types of missions exclusively.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I don't understand why anyone would not want to make use of all of the aircraft. A well thought out battle plan would use the modern fighters for air superiority, the a-10/su-25 for armor takedown, the uh-1/mi-8 for troop insertion and the p-51 to strafe advancing infantry.

Would the uh-1/p-51 survive a lone mission on a modern battle field? Probably not, but used in tandem with the full arsenal in a role that suits their abilities, I'm sure they would have a measurable impact.

I don't understand why anyone would not want to make use of all of the aircraft. A well thought out battle plan would use the modern fighters for air superiority, the a-10/su-25 for armor takedown, the uh-1/mi-8 for troop insertion and the p-51 to strafe advancing infantry.

Would the uh-1/p-51 survive a lone mission on a modern battle field? Probably not, but used in tandem with the full arsenal in a role that suits their abilities, I'm sure they would have a measurable impact.

you might, with one of these bad boys... though in the early 80's, no chance of a tail dragger making the cut.

http://www.aviastar.org/air/usa/piper_pa-48.php

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Am also really looking forward to this bird, ...P51 on steroids and then some:)

Massively looking forward to it... almost as much as am looking forward to the FW190!

Both 'day 1 buys' for me!

I really do hope the Mig15 is in the works (I missed that info), that would be truly awesome! Because then (obviously) we get two perfect pairings... at some point anyways.

My point is...in determining what a/c to build, they should think of playability eg. P51...so obvious choice is ME109 or FW190 or A6M2 or something...which is from the WW2 genre....instead we have stuff from the 80s, 90s, 40s (WW2) and now 50s (Korea) to combine with the Huey from the 60s. If you're going to pick a genre...stick with it. I would've preferred they stuck with the Vietnam era eg. F4II, F105, F100 (VRS are doing this though), A7, A6, F111, etc etc...OR WW2.

Otherwise MP missions (as they are now) look like something staged at a War Birds convention.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

DCS is a flight sim, so the main focus is to produce as realistic modules as possible, not to provide modules of planes that are balanced against each other. Doing that wouldn't do anything else than narrow down the market, as we'd just end up with things from the same small eras, as opposed an even small amount of planes and helicopters from different time periods.

ED and all the 3rd party developers do indeed stick with the genre; They are producing modules for a pure, very realistic flight sim, not an MP game where the simulation aspect goes in the backseat. That's the beauty of DCS, it's not tied down to any specific era or conflict. If it had been, I doubt it'd have been alive today, seeing as how the competition is very large, and contains much more.

I, and I suspect most others, love DCS because of this. One day I can sit in a state of the art A-10C, dropping laser guided bombs on enemy tanks from thousands of meters up in the sky, the other day I can go low and dirty with 2 bombs and 6 .50 cals on a P-51D, or the flex guns and rockets on a Huey. That's the spirit and selling point of DCS.

Edited by Scrim
  • Like 1

The F-86 is a nimble lil plane, I'm looking forward to the MIG-21, F-86 and MIG-15/17's.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The F-86 is a nimble lil plane, I'm looking forward to the MIG-21, F-86 and MIG-15/17's.

I'll buy all of the above...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

My point is...in determining what a/c to build, they should think of playability eg. P51...so obvious choice is ME109 or FW190 or A6M2 or something...which is from the WW2 genre....instead we have stuff from the 80s, 90s, 40s (WW2) and now 50s (Korea) to combine with the Huey from the 60s. If you're going to pick a genre...stick with it. I would've preferred they stuck with the Vietnam era eg. F4II, F105, F100 (VRS are doing this though), A7, A6, F111, etc etc...OR WW2.

Otherwise MP missions (as they are now) look like something staged at a War Birds convention.

The genre is flight sim. There is no specific time.

MP looks like it does because the servers focus on accessibility and quick play. They're going to look the same until all the weapons outside of a certain are removed. You can make a server that is more restricted in mission design (don't take it the wrong way, if I ran a server it wouldn't be based on symmetric missions and throwing in all aircraft) or join a squad that does that.

I think people also heavily exaggerate the lack of usability of certain modules. Although sometimes nice, we're not limited to historical battles. The P-51 was fine even before the Fw-190 was added because it could used in ground attack and as a fighter for less developed militaries (it was used up to the 70's). The F-86 was in use into the 90's. I see people ignore AI units as well. Before, you mentioned "F86 vs SU27 or Mig 29" as if that was the only possible pairing. DCS has MiG-23, 21 (soon), Su-17, F-5, as well as transports, helicopters, and ground units that aren't nearly as superior to the F-86 as MiG-29. Not to mention, you can always just mirror aircraft if you want a fair fight.

I agree, it seems there's absolutely no direction to any of this which is a huge shame.

I don't know. Looking at DCS overall we have a decent selection of 80's-90's units. This has been expanded back to WWII and everything in between is being filled in. If you want a "balanced" era, stick with the most modern stuff. It's going to take time to build up everything else. The more eras branched into, the more opportunity there is for someone else to come along and fill in the gaps. If DCS was purely 80's+, we would have a chance at a large WWII expansion.

Edited by Exorcet

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Found a cool pic , thought i share this:

Goldenhawks1959.jpg

The Golden Hawks ; Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) aerobatic flying team established in 1959 to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the RCAF and the "Golden" 50th anniversary of Canadian flight.

Emmer,

Thanks for posting.

Brings back lots of memories. I saw them at many airshows.

Cats . . .