DCS: F-16CM Block 50 by EDSA Discussion Thread

NineLine

Hey @Wags

Just wanted to know if there is still some possibility in the future to see the Sniper XR pod for both the 18 and 16 ? Or is it a final decision to go for the Litening pod ?

Thanks

Hasn't this been answered time and again in the last few months?

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

Hasn't this been answered time and again in the last few months?

Glad to know it has, especially knowing this feature has only been changed not more than 2-3 weeks ago.

Thanks for your feedback and helping me find the answer though, appreciate it.

Hey @Wags

Just wanted to know if there is still some possibility in the future to see the Sniper XR pod for both the 18 and 16 ? Or is it a final decision to go for the Litening pod ?

Thanks

I can't speak for the F-16 pod options we'll eventually get, but the Hornet never used the Sniper XR, we'll just get the ATFLIR and LITENING II.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Canadian Hornets use the Sniper Pod.
Huh, you learn something new everyday

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Canadian Hornets use the Sniper Pod.

True, but we don't have Canadian Hornets simulated in DCS, so ED wont be adding Sniper pod for it, because what we have is a USN/USMC Hornet circa 2005 in terms of avionics and weapons.

CF18 is descended with from was basically an F/A18A but with 21st century modernization has somewhat different avionics, retaining old Analog fuel and Engine indicators From those A modes, but post modernization what would basically be comparable to F/A18A++ being installed with 2 Colour DDI's and a different MPCD display to whats in the USN/USMC F/A18C in DCS.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Cool

We don't have a Canadian Hornet in the game so that's irrelevant

Cool

We have USMC & RAAF skins, both of which also fly upgraded 'A' models. I suppose we should scrap those due to their irrelevance?

P.S. - It's a video game...

Cool

We have USMC & RAAF skins, both of which also fly upgraded 'A' models. I suppose we should scrap those due to their irrelevance?

P.S. - It's a video game...

What I think he means is its one thing to just have foreign air force skins of the Hornet, but another to actual represent those Hornet versions which do have some avionics and or equipment differences over the USN/USMC F/A18C lot 20 we currently have modeled within DCS

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Good Morning Gentlemen...

I am posting a link to an article I found yesterday about modeling the F-16. Since this article is from an aircraft modeling website I am NOT posting it with any claim the information presented is correct. However, as a Scale Model Railroader, I know modelers tend to find/ focus on the minute details a lot of other people miss.

I am NOTposting this to question anything ED has planned for our Viper...I have complete faith in their abilities. This is not an excuse to throw a fit and stomp and whine that something mentioned in the article is "Missing" from what ED has stated is planned. I simply have a couple of questions for folks with first hand knowledge like MVSGAS and others if they can answer them.

The article states:

On Block 50/52s, the external difference are the AN/APX-113 antennas…"bird slicers" in front of the canopy and the JHMCS (Joint Helmet Mounted Cuing Sensor) on the inside L side of the canopy. All Block 50/52s are now CCIP, and most of the Block 40/42s are, (emphasis added)

Question 1.) In your opinion is this a valid statement? Did all of the Block 50/52s receive the CCIP upgrade as stated?

Question 2.) Did the CCIP program standardize the cockpit panel configuration across a given series? I.E. All Block 50s cockpits with CCIP are the same, All 52s cockpits with CCIP are the same?

The purpose of my questions is I am researching what paint liveries are reasonably correct for the external model it looks like we are getting...as opposed to the "My little Pony" "Hey it was applied to an "F-16" type liveries. (Not that there is anything wrong with my little pony...Those of you with girls will understand...)

Thanks in advance

https://www.usaf-sig.org/index.php/reference/41-research-material/82-f-16-viper-faq-stuff-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-f-16cd?fbclid=IwAR2KmDkm3o6DWc1kdh9RBXqfzhnOhrfY5Vz4p9lnoBsZLVLGCxxb8iHybMc

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Question 1.) In your opinion is this a valid statement? Did all of the Block 50/52s receive the CCIP upgrade as stated?

All USAF Block 50 in operational squadrons, yes. Block 50/52 in testing, Demonstration team or ANG/AFRES and other countries, I am not sure. Note that there is not USAF block 52 active operational units. Last one was from Mountain Home AFB, 389th FS, which lost its F-16C block 52 to 169th FW Swamp Foxes at around 2007 and there was no ANG/AFRES Block 50 until Spangdahlem AB 22nd and 23rd Squadron close and their aircraft where skater to the 480th FS and the 148th FW ANG at around 2010.

Question 2.) Did the CCIP program standardize the cockpit panel configuration across a given series? I.E. All Block 50s cockpits with CCIP are the same, All 52s cockpits with CCIP are the same?

Yes in specific squadrons within USAF, AFAIK. Block 50/52 in testing, Demonstration team or ANG/AFRES and other countries, I am not sure. Keeping in mind that the cockpit has change several time since the CCIP upgrade within the USAF, ANG and AFRES. Some panels have move, some panels have change or have been replace, etc.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• 3 weeks later...

Was there ever any confirmation on what type of MFDs will be in this Viper? I'm hoping for color MFDs like the A-10C for a better looking display when using the Mavs or T-Pod. I don't like that recent screenshot of the Hornet's T-pod display using that monochrome filter.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Was there ever any confirmation on what type of MFDs will be in this Viper? I'm hoping for color MFDs like the A-10C for a better looking display when using the Mavs or T-Pod. I don't like that recent screenshot of the Hornet's T-pod display using that monochrome filter.

I think it was the MLU that introduced color displays and they are included in the Block 50 too, I'm just not sure whether they are capable of displaying any color or just monochrome plus a few other colors like in the Hornet.

As for displaying TGP imagery, I'm pretty sure the LITENING pod only generates a black and white image anyways, so whether or not we have full colors MFD's, it won't make a difference when it comes to targeting.

2019-05-24-DCS-F-16C-02.jpg

I have not seen any confirmation to this specific subject, but to add to what mu110 posted; Time Compliance Technical Order (TCTO) 1F-16-2221 was the installation of the Common Configuration Implementation Program, AKA CCIP ( or modification ECP 3016).

This incorporated the Modular Mission Computer (MMC), Color MFDS, Electronic Horizontal Situation Indicator (HSI), Link 16 with TACAN, and Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (HMCS) to the USAF Block 40/42/50/52.

So according to this https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=241132

It should have CCIP so it should have CMFD

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I think it was the MLU that introduced color displays and they are included in the Block 50 too, I'm just not sure whether they are capable of displaying any color or just monochrome plus a few other colors like in the Hornet.

As for displaying TGP imagery, I'm pretty sure the LITENING pod only generates a black and white image anyways, so whether or not we have full colors MFD's, it won't make a difference when it comes to targeting.

I have not seen any confirmation to this specific subject, but to add to what mu110 posted; Time Compliance Technical Order (TCTO) 1F-16-2221 was the installation of the Common Configuration Implementation Program, AKA CCIP ( or modification ECP 3016).

This incorporated the Modular Mission Computer (MMC), Color MFDS, Electronic Horizontal Situation Indicator (HSI), Link 16 with TACAN, and Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (HMCS) to the USAF Block 40/42/50/52.

So according to this https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=241132

It should have CCIP so it should have CMFD

Thanks for the info. I like the A-10C's pod displays even though they're black & white. To me, it's just a better overall picture than the monochrome.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

• 3 weeks later...

The Tomcat definitely wins the 'best TPOD display' for me - love the distortion effect on the screen due to an explosion.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Tomcat definitely wins the 'best TPOD display' for me - love the distortion effect on the screen due to an explosion.

Because its older technology, not because other aircraft have worse simulation OF TGp's. They are simply newer generation Pods.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Because its older technology, not because other aircraft have worse simulation OF TGp's. They are simply newer generation Pods.

I know why it does it - and it looks cool.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]