[REPORTED] Gunsight disappears now?

Wideboy

A friend and I had this too after the update yesterday, also on Burning Skies.

Neither of us had taken any damage and initially we tried landing and repairing, however we couldn't initiate repair. However, my friend then deliberately over heated his engine on the ground to force the option of repair, which once completed, brought the gunsight back.

We had this ‘bug’ every flight and couldn't figure out what was causing it. In the end we tried deleting (cut and paste files inside the folders to another location on my hard drive for backup in case it went went wrong etc) the files in the metashaders folders (saved games > DCS.openbeta > metashaders) and we have not experienced it since. It might have been coincidental but thought I post what we tried to help. If you do try the same (deleting the files within the metashaders folders), I'd advise backing them up just in case etc etc.

[EDIT] deleting the contents of metashaders folders did not fix the bug - see below

Edited by Bounder
updated information

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

Just had this happen in Burning Skies. Gunsight disappeared and couldn't turn it back on.
Just happened to me as well. About 5 min after takeoff (Caucasus, Hoggit map).

Interestingly it came back after doing repair. I just checked that "random failures" wasn't checked and came here to post: "gun sight disappearing".

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

A friend and I had this too after the update yesterday, also on Burning Skies.

Neither of us had taken any damage and initially we tried landing and repairing, however we couldn't initiate repair. However, my friend then deliberately over heated his engine on the ground to force the option of repair, which once completed, brought the gunsight back.

We had this ‘bug’ every flight and couldn't figure out what was causing it. In the end we tried deleting (cut and paste files inside the folders to another location on my hard drive for backup in case it went went wrong etc) the files in the metashaders folders (saved games > DCS.openbeta > metashaders) and we have not experienced it since. It might have been coincidental but thought I post what we tried to help. If you do try the same (deleting the files within the metashaders folders), I'd advise backing them up just in case etc etc.

Ah, thanks! I'll give that a go. I forgot that deleting metashaders every other update is generally a good idea.

Deleted fxo and metashaders2

Not a fix. Gun Sight disappeared again. 2 out of 2 takeoffs.

Is there a reason you didn't delete contents of the folder "metashaders" in addition to "metashaders2"? Asking more for understanding reasons.

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.

Here's a short video from last night showing the gunsight disappearing. This one occurred after going wheels down (~15 secs into the 27 sec video):

Edit: added 2nd example

Edited by Bounder

Seems OK here. What do you mean by disappears? This is implying that it comes on for a while, then goes off. Have you checked that the switch is in the ON position after it goes off? If it goes to the off position, then it sounds like it may be assigned to a control that you are unaware of.

[EDIT] It started happening to me too last update, and is still happening in latest Beta (21/06/19)

Edited by mkiii

Is there a reason you didn't delete contents of the folder "metashaders" in addition to "metashaders2"? Asking more for understanding reasons.

Because I'm a retard. I didn't read up carefully enough on fxo & metashaders and only deleted "fxo" & "metashaders2" under "Saved Games".

I think it's fixed now after deleting three folders:

C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS\fxo

C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS\metashaders2

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\shaders\metashaders

Also did

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin>DCS_updater.exe cleanup

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin>DCS_updater.exe repair

which I don't know if it was necessary. Cleanup and Repair.

Note, it's Open Beta even if folder name doesn't say so.

~

EDIT/ADD:

No, it is not a fix. Gun sight disappeared again.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Flew again tonight, bug is back. Clearing out metashader files seemed to work initially but it is not a fix.

I've tried to attach track files, [edit] but all my track files so far exceed the file size limit for upload to the forums

Edited by Bounder

I’m seeing this too.

It’s happening in burning skies server for me at the minute.

Will come on for a bit then disappears

Also in dawn / dusk conditions I’m now getting exhaust like flames in the right of the cockpit and on the right wing

oha ... may be this is a bug ...

i was wondering about this new behaviour ...

i thought i have used my reticle too long :music_whistling:

like the lights in the Mig-15 ... they will destroy if s.o. gives to much power to it :smartass:

too much ...

I had this yesterday. Worked fine initially. Took off flew around. A few mins later it stopped displaying, and turning off/on didn’t help.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

oha ... may be this is a bug ...

i was wondering about this new behaviour ...

i thought i have used my reticle too long :music_whistling:

like the lights in the Mig-15 ... they will destroy if s.o. gives to much power to it :smartass:

maby tha seam case can we reduce reticle brightnes i nspit ??

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Maybe the bulbs keep blowing. Try replacing them. Lol

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Collimator Sight

Why the sight on Spitfire after last update suddenly get broken?

I've noteced, it may doesn't work after take off. So i'm going turn it on after!

It doesn't work if i fogot to switch on Pitot heater. So, i do it every time now!

But when it goes down suddenly after a half an hour of succesful work...

Oh it's a bit tricky for me!

Who knows, what may be a problem? :mad:

Мой позывной в DCS: _SkyRider_

Мой канал YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber

My callsign on DCS is: _SkyRider_

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber

Maybe the bulbs keep blowing. Try replacing them. Lol

yeah someone supplied cheap bulbs, shame that we cant use backup ones :(

since ED brought that funcionality on the table i would like to be able to use those extra bulbs

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor