G-Sync support for FreeSync monitors

This is interesting

“Nvidia has brought aftermarket G-Sync support (via a software update) to 15 gaming monitors (three were added on March 5th) equipped with AMD FreeSync, widening the pool of G-Sync-capable displays; prices start as low as $189.”

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/8/18220853/nvidia-g-sync-support-freesync-monitor-gaming

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

My monitor might not be compatable (yet?)

I assume if you have FreeSync on you would turn off Vsync in DCS?

But if I turn off DCS Vsync I see tearing.

I still get the best result in DCS with Vsync in-game turned off and “Fast” Vsync set On in Nvidia CP. I get frame rates over 60 with no tearing. My monitor is 60hz.

My monitor will let me enable FreeSync though. But I can’t tell if it’s really working.

I still see tearing in games when I turn Vsync off.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

My monitor might not be compatable (yet?)

I assume if you have FreeSync on you would turn off Vsync in DCS?

But if I turn off DCS Vsync I see tearing.

I still get the best result in DCS with Vsync in-game turned off and “Fast” Vsync set On in Nvidia CP. I get frame rates over 60 with no tearing. My monitor is 60hz.

My monitor will let me enable FreeSync though. But I can’t tell if it’s really working.

I still see tearing in games when I turn Vsync off.

Ok. I went through this process. you need to do a couple of things to make absolutely sure you are getting freesync working on Nvidia cards.

1. First. Get a driver cleaner. Uninstall current driver. Restart. Install latest Nvidia driver Restart
  2. Second. Make sure Freesync/Adaptive sync is on use the monitor OSD. Restart
  3. Third. check to make sure Gsync setup menu item shows up in Nvidia Control Panel.
  4. Check the box for Gsync Compatib;e and full screen and windowed. Restart
  5. Before starting a game, open up your monitor and turn on any displays that show real time refreshrate. Most monitors should have one.
  6. Check the range of freesync/adaptivesync on your monitor - my monitor is 60Hz to 100hz which means I need to keep my fps between those ranges
  7. Open up your favorite game. Turn off vsync.
  8. SOmetimes the real time refresh rate acts screwey in the menu areas.
  9. Make sure you are launching the game itself. At this point, you should see the refresh rate display changing - i have a bar graph but you may numbers - regardless you should see it changing which means display is changing its refresh to match fps. Voila.

Adjust game settings to Keep your fps between your monitor freesynch range and you should be alll set.

I should be able to tell if it’s working if I can switch off Vsync in game and nor see tearing, correct?

Also the frame rate should cap at 60 with Vsync off too?

I don’t know if I really need FreeSync because in most all games I get over 60 FPS and with a 60hz display it wouldn’t be necessary.

DCS sometimes drops below 60 but still seems smooth with NCP “Fast” Vsync.

NCP seems to indicate my monitor is not compatible with G-SYNC anyways

NCP.thumb.JPG.552ea73cb74f6ee012a74e41dca5bf13.JPG

Edited by SharpeXB

NCP seems to indicate my monitor is not compatible with G-SYNC anyways

AFAIK, that doesn't mean it's compatible, it's just that Nvidia hasn't validated that particular monitor model.

Normally, you would keep VSync On as it caps the FPS. FreeSync and G-Sync only work up to the monitor refresh rate, not higher. Nvidia has FastSync for those higher rates.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!