FNG needs help

Airwolf466

Good Day, All,

While I have flight simmed for a lot of years, I am very new to DCS, and on top of that am a Steam transplant. So, I would appreciate any feedback. I'm mainly focused on the Hornet right now...

1) I'm looking at Youtube vids about JDAM. How do I get updates to my install/pc? While we're at it, how about downloading missions and campaigns? What is the best place to look for such things?

My Mission list shows Amraam,Maverick,HARM,etc. practice missions, but when I go into a Mission and go to LAlt+' none of these show on list drop down. JDAM not at all. Another example: digitalcombatsimulator.com describes the deck crew animations, but there is no download icon.

2) In at "other home" we have a term RTFM, which is Read The Freaking Manual. I'm not afraid to RTFM, but I haven't found a comprehensive one. I have read the DCS User Manuals,Activation Guide, and Chuck's Hornet manuals.

Is there a comprehensive written source out there? I know about Youtube videos.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

Good Day, All,

While I have flight simmed for a lot of years, I am very new to DCS, and on top of that am a Steam transplant. So, I would appreciate any feedback. I'm mainly focused on the Hornet right now...

1) I'm looking at Youtube vids about JDAM. How do I get updates to my install/pc? While we're at it, how about downloading missions and campaigns? What is the best place to look for such things?

My Mission list shows Amraam,Maverick,HARM,etc. practice missions, but when I go into a Mission and go to LAlt+' none of these show on list drop down. JDAM not at all. Another example: digitalcombatsimulator.com describes the deck crew animations, but there is no download icon.

2) In at "other home" we have a term RTFM, which is Read The Freaking Manual. I'm not afraid to RTFM, but I haven't found a comprehensive one. I have read the DCS User Manuals,Activation Guide, and Chuck's Hornet manuals.

Is there a comprehensive written source out there? I know about Youtube videos.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

1. JDAM and JSOW are in the open beta which is not available to the steam version. Think of the OB as a test version in which ED double check with us the players on things working correctly prior to release to the stable version. Missions can be found on this forum, there is a missions section where people post their own, there may be some under the downloads section on the main dcs website too. I believe there is a way to migrate your steam license to the DCS standalone version, the help pages should give guidance on how to do this if you want to switch to the open beta.

Crew deck animations are not in game for us yet. Those animations are a teaser from the developers of what is coming. They will form part of the paid Carrier module though and not the one you currently have, so you would need to buy the carrier when they release it.

2. There is a manual but rather out of data. Chucks guide is better maintained. That said if you are unsure check out YouTube as there are a wealth of tutorials which you may find more useful. Look up a channel called Redkite http:// https://www.youtube.com/user/RedKiteRender(and if your sensor of humour is more in the gutter, U Laobi https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqH078Ef0HENo01LF3xwIvA

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

How do I get updates to my install/pc? While we're at it, how about downloading missions and campaigns? What is the best place to look for such things?

1. JDAM and JSOW are in the open beta which is not available to the steam version.

Open Beta 2.5.5.x is available on Steam, to select it go to

Steam UI > Library > DCS World > Properties > Betas

and select "openbeta - Public beta versions" from the drop down list.

This will update your Steam version to "Open Beta" i.e. it does not install a second copy.

Steam's DCS Open Beta is usually updated a few hours / days after the standalone Open Beta is updated. The downloads occur automatically via Steam but may sit in your "download queue" if Steam was already running and you don't start the download manually.

As to how to use the latest feature additions, there's the Mini-Update Thread and Wags youtube channel to get by with during Early Access.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Hopefully the Chuck's guide will be further updated by the end of the summer.

Good news Chuck. Thanks for your work :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

One place to get missions is DCS User Files, here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/

Word of caution: many user missions include mods to bring more life and options to DCS World and those missions can not be run without the mods installed. Mods subforum might be helpful.:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/

I think many of the included missions you mention are accessed through the TRAINING app on the main DCS screen.

I think many of the included missions you mention are accessed through the TRAINING app on the main DCS screen.

This, or through instant action you have a select few - as well as just below the campaign is one called mission or single mission. Selecting that brings up another menu with many more missions and some are specific to a map / arena (Persian Gulf, Nevada, Etc.)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Thanks for the replies. Noisy_Lightning, I had already moved my install from Steam to DCS World, that's what I meant by transplant. I did it because I was seeing too many "steam incompatible" messages.

I understand the open Beta concept, and I will be looking for the help pages. This is exactly the kind of RTFM guidance I've been looking for

Ramsey, I will be following up your advise, but meanwhile I'm trying to figure out the DCS version of what you descibed for Steam.

Habu, thank you VERY much for the links. These are precisely the kind of reference I was hoping for missions and such.

I'm up to pg.10 of the user files, and loving what I'm finding. However, I haven't found , for example, JDAM/JSOW. I've looked in Mods in the User Files, and that's not it, apparently.

And Chuck, I'm a BIG fan of your Guides and your Youtube channel!

Edited by Airwolf466

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

Ramsey, I will be following up your advise, but meanwhile I'm trying to figure out the DCS version of what you descibed for Steam.

Ah, sorry I thought you were still on Steam.

DCS standalone supports the same in place version switch via the command line.

• Navigate to the "DCS World\bin" folder

• LShift+Right Mouse Click to get the option to open windows command prompt/Power Shell

run the command

• "DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta"

(for Power Shell the command is ".\DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta")

This will update your release install to the open beta branch.

Detailed instructions here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

If you are not comfortable using the command line there is also SkateZilla's DCS Updater GUI

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080