Taxi and rudder control

Devil 505

Is there something I am missing about how to taxi and turn? Is there a tail wheel lock? For some reason, when giving it rudder control to turn, it starts too then wants to lock up and not turn anymore.

Any suggestions would be helpful for taxing

Deactivate the take-off assistance.

S!

Thanks! I was getting desperate. This take-off assistance is worse than the problem it's supposed to solve. I still find the takeoff dificult but I can now taxi in a straight line. It has a strong tendency though to over-control, and the brakes seem almost useless. You have to be really careful with the pedals.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...

Have to say that I'm really struggling with the ground handling of this aircraft.

Have tried pulling the stick all the way back, but that doesn't seem to help.

I can fly all of the other Warbirds, and with no take off or rudder assistance.

Any good suggestions?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I agree, it feels like she is rolling on liquid soap. I can manage take-off and taxi now, albeit the taxiing looks a bit like a dance. And I can rarely complete a landing without a pirouette. And the brakes seem to have very little effect.

I hoped I could modify some of this like for the Bf-109K-4, but the I-16 does not have the file "FMOptions.lua".

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Just took another flight with the i16, but this time from a strip on the Normandy map. It "seemed" to be a lot easier to taxi.

Now maybe it's placebo, but it does make me wonder if the friction levels for the wheels on the i16 are maybe dependant upon the type of airstrip.

Could someone else please test this and compare the ease of taxi on different maps.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I tried both Carpiquet (concrete run way) and Lantheuil (sand strip) and I could not see a significant difference vs the air bases in the Caucasus. Also take-off and landing seem to be the same.

My take is that the steering authority transits rather suddenly from wheel to rudder as you increase speed. For halfway stable taxying you have to stay well below that transition velocity. Doing that, I can taxy easily in both regions.

In the take-off run you have to cross that velocity band very quickly, and in the landing run that's where you tend to end up in a pirouette because you stay too long in the transition speed band.

I'm not an expert, but that's how I interpret my observations.

LeCuvier