I know I have a powerful rig, so why does DCS World not run very well?

kingneptune117

My specs are in my signature.

I feel like I simply do not get the performance I should be getting. When I am just flying around I get around 70-80 FPS. However, if I am at an airfield taxiing or starting up, my frames will sometimes drop to as low as 30 or 40 FPS. If there is another aircraft near me this is especially true.

Does everyone experience these symptoms? How much of an improvement can we expect from DCS World 2.0?

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

Sounds about normal and nobody (outside of ED) has any idea what 2.0 will bring.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Sadly this is normal. Numerous objects at the airfield tax the framerate significantly (planes mostly). Currently there is no cure to that. As for 2.0 it's hard to tell, however I have read a report on Mudspike, that with WWII aircraft, 20 planes in the air doing close combat still yields a solid framerate, so there is hope.

Unfortunately, right now the game is not greatly optimized and will thus run quite bad when a large amount of assets is in play, even on high end hardware. Most of this is felt by everybody, even a high end rig will meet problems when it is presented with, for example, 10 planes sitting on the ramp trying to do their thing to get into the air (in multiplayer).

DCS World 2.0, which is to be expected to be released soon, will incorperate support for DX 11 (as long as the hardware supports it, which yours definitely does), whilst DCS World (1.0 , current version) has support for DX 9 IIRC. Aside, I believe we will also see some optimalization, but don't quote me on that.

Some info about this can be found in the DCS 2.0 thread

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135473

Whilst some other info, regarding the optimazation and the GPU support can be found in the last Q&A video. Skip to around the 7 minute marker.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Groundpounder extraordinaire

SPECS: i7-4790K, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 16 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980ti, Thrustmaster WARTHOG HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR 5

Much of the overheads in DCSW1 are on the CPU. DCSW2 with DX11 will off-load that on your GPU or GPUs. As Wags mentioned in the latest Q&A, a tester with Crossfire setup got double the framrate.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P