ENGINE SOUNDS KINDA DISAPPOINTING

itzdsay

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH - everything I have read regarding the F-14 is that you can't even hear the engines from the cockpit due to the ECS noise. Apparently some new pilots would turn off the aircon to hear the engines better for approaches.

So personally I am quite happy we can hear as much as we can of the engines.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

im not even a particularly demanding ears guy but the sounds are definitely the low point of the module for me

external engine noise is thin and distant. it's like a hairdryer compared to the hornet.

m61 sound is full wtf, did it get replaced with a revolver cannon? also the firing sounds dont seem to attenuate properly with speed either. fine, it's wip.

i dunno about the heater launch noise, seems hollywood fake. maybe an sme can comment on what it sounds like from inside the cockpit.

i set hear like in helmet for a reason but all i get are these trashy hollywood sfx piped straight in like im standing stark naked outside

the loudness of some of these pseudohaptic feedback noises like the switches is enough to actually be counterproductive and immersion breaking

instead of the fake afterburner roar we should have a throttle lift emulator switch because slamming into mil is an important thing to be able to do, the latter is an issue noted even by one of your sme's

more simulations, less artistic liberties please

Edited by probad

The external fly by sound is really bad.

Hornet and mirage 2000 are 10x better

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

The external fly by sound is really bad.

Hornet and mirage 2000 are 10x better

To be honest, the Hornet does sound a lot better than when it did on release, pretty sure that over the coming patches the sound of the F-14 will also see improvements.

For me the first time I did a cold start it was the sound that impressed me first.

My skins: https://tiny.cc/m0j0NL

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not much will change on the sound front- I think we're close to final. I'm pleased with where we are at present, especially inside. Expecting a Hornet howl from a Tomcat is somewhat unfeasible.

Fly-by sounds may see some improvement down the line- but again- we can't give it some sort of special sound that it didn't have in reality.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Not much will change on the sound front- I think we're close to final. I'm pleased with where we are at present, especially inside. Expecting a Hornet howl from a Tomcat is somewhat unfeasible.

Fly-by sounds may see some improvement down the line- but again- we can't give it some sort of special sound that it didn't have in reality.

Not expecting a howl though. The fly by sound is actually not nice nor realistic. Technically speaking it sounds artificial, not real I the way it arrives.

Your modul is superior to other in most aspect, yet it is really inferior on this one.

If you can improve great. Otherwise we will live. But there is room for improvement for sure.

The internal sound is just fine with me. I'm really commenting on the fly by

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

I love the cockpit sounds, outstanding job HB. Unfortunately the external sounds are not the best imho. Even moving the external camera there is a sort of looping noise. Just a small note on an overall excellent aircraft, thank you HB and keep the good work.

I agree with the OP, to a degree.. i switch the air source off to hear the turbines better and it sounds quite good.. I hope HB can improve on the sounds of sidewinder launches (only launched AIM-9's so far) and bomb drops because they just sound like hollywood effects. Everything else is quite an outstanding job by the HB team.

I find the internal cockpit sounds during shaking and turbolences among the best in all modules, cockpit feels live and not that sterile. Lunches and engines are fine but Holywood or realistic the SME or people who flown it and lunched missiles can say.

I find the switches clicking sound a bit overdone and too loud tho..

Overall I find the cokpit more "alive" and less sterile than the other dcs modules, mainly because of the shaking effercts, add the "chatter" effects from vaicom pro and the imerrsion is good.

Again if it is Holiwood or realistic only people who actually flown it can say.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Was kinda hoping the whistle from the turbines would be alot more intense.

You mean that whistling whine the Tomcats have in the Top Gun movie?

Either that's Hollywood sound effects or could it be the that it's something that's unique to the TF30 perhaps?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Sad to hear that HB considers this close to final. Things should always be improved upon. Especially this early in the early access cycle.

The flyby's sound plane weird, and that is not due to it missing a 'hornet howl', but more to do with the mix and the way it cuts in when viewed from the front. No need to be an audio expert to hear it. Compere to a few real flybys' and you get the idea that there is room for improvement.

I have no problems with internal (never sat in one) except that there is a distinct noise in the sample that can be heard looping in the cockpit (Not as bad as the Viggen, which is mod dependent to fix).

Agreed that the missile sounds are Hollywood from inside the pit. If even one SME can confirm this is how it sounds I would have no problem with it.

Love the sound of the button clicks, although they are surely way, way to loud when mixed with the engine, but it is a compromise I can live with, since we VR pilots don't get the same physical feedback a real pilot has, so the sound is a neat workaround.

I think HB's work on this module is of extremely high quality, and it would be a shame to compromise in the engine sound department, though I must say that there are still VERY noticable audio issues in the Viggen, so maybe sound design must sometime be downprioritized..

Don't get me wrong- love the module, and HB for making it, but the bar is set now, and should be kept all the way towards full release.

Not much will change on the sound front- I think we're close to final.

This is pretty disappointing honestly. As good as everything else is in the Tomcat, the exterior and interior sounds are sorely lacking. The shake and rattle are well done and pretty realistic from my experience, but the cockpit switches and afterburner sounds are hugely over represented. Tbh it sounds like Ace Combat arcade sounds, especially the afterburner. The canopy and airframe wind noise is also far too weak, so much so that when Jester (unnecessarily) punches out, the most prominent sounds are still the switches clicking and the throttle clacking. The wind just sounds like a quiet, breezy spring afternoon when it should be the ONLY environmental sound you hear in that situation.

I get it that all the sim kids here are super happy that they can hear all this stuff, but that’s just not what it sounds like in a tactical aircraft. When HB said they were taking a ‘dramatic license’ approach with the sounds it had me worried. Unfortunately I feel we got a worst case scenario. Arcade.

Imo the F-14 is on its way to being one of the best modules in DCS, but also the module with the worst sound profile.

Sorry for the rant. Hopefully some talented modders out there can fix the situation.

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

[...] The shake and rattle are well done and pretty realistic from my experience, but the cockpit switches and afterburner sounds are hugely over represented. Tbh it sounds like Ace Combat arcade sounds, especially the afterburner. The canopy and airframe wind noise is also far too weak, so much so that when Jester (unnecessarily) punches out, the most prominent sounds are still the switches clicking and the throttle clacking. The wind just sounds like a quiet, breezy spring afternoon when it should be the ONLY environmental sound you hear in that situation.

I have to agree here, given how hyper realistic this module is in many respects, the sound mixing is arcade-ish. I prefer the Hornets sound design, as ED went with a more realistic approach (in the realm of what is possible within DCS and its limiting sound engine). For example, with the Hornet, ED nailed the wind noises that get louder and louder depending on speed, altitude and AoA, I miss that in the F-14.

I have to agree here, given how hyper realistic this module is in many respects, the sound mixing is arcade-ish. I prefer the Hornets sound design, as ED went with a more realistic approach (in the realm of what is possible within DCS and its limiting sound engine). For example, with the Hornet, ED nailed the wind noises that get louder and louder depending on speed, altitude and AoA, I miss that in the F-14.

agreed. ED also nailed the AB sounds when on the ground, nice quiet roar. Faster you go, the quieter it gets.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

In the cockpit, the engines could be heard while taxiing. Once they were spun up for flight, the ECS airflow increased and dominated. So much so, that I wore earplugs under my helmet. Engine noise wasn't discernible. You could barely hear afterburner. Thank God, because the cockpit cooled beautifully once the rpm up in the flight range. You could hear a lead's engines when flying parade formation, and you could hear his engines on a flight lead sep takeoff. You could his his after burner better than your own.

Missile launch for an AIM54 or AIM7 consisted of a thump and I don't recall hearing the rocket motor. I don't recall hearing either from the cockpit. An AIM9 off of the rail which went by the cockpit was a muted "whoosh" and nothing dramatic.

The cockpit switches could be heard sitting in a dead aircraft before start, but after the ECS was up, forget it. DCS in general needs an audible click of some sort to offset the lack of tactile feedback of a physical switch.

External sounds? Man, I couldn't care less.

Edited by Victory205

Viewpoints are my own.

In the cockpit, the engines could be heard while taxiing. Once they were spun up for flight, the ECS airflow increased and dominated. So much so, that I wore earplugs under my helmet. Air noise wasn't discernible. You could barely hear afterburner. Thank God, because the cockpit cooled beautifully once the rpm up in the flight range. You could hear a lead's engines when flying parade formation, and you could hear his engines on a flight lead sep takeoff. You could his his after burner better than your own.

Missile launch for an AIM54 or AIM7 consisted of a thump and I don't recall hearing the rocket motor. I don't recall hearing either from the cockpit. An AIM9 off of the rail which went by the cockpit was a muted "whoosh" and nothing dramatic.

The cockpit switches could be heard sitting in a dead aircraft before start, but after the ECS was up, forget it. DCS in general needs an audible click of some sort to offset the lack of tactile feedback of a physical switch.

External sounds? Man, I couldn't care less.

:thumbup: that is how it should be. I dont like that I can hear jets idling on the CV deck when I am in port hold. Also, sounds do not change with canopy up or down. :(

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

In the cockpit, the engines could be heard while taxiing. Once they were spun up for flight, the ECS airflow increased and dominated. So much so, that I wore earplugs under my helmet....

This is my experience as well riding back seat in 15’s, 16’s, and T-38’s. I don’t know about the F-14 but in 15’s and 16’s there was also a cacophony of electronics cooling fans prior to and along with ECS. I was pretty sure there was a healthy mix of airframe wind noise while airborne as well but it’s been almost 15 years since I sat in a fighter.

I understand that there should be some audible feedback for cockpit interactions, I just think HB went far too extreme and it hurts the overall experience of an otherwise brilliant simulation.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Internal sounds are ok IMO, but external sounds are really a low point.

I think there is something wrong because there is a constant "afterburner" jet noise even at idle RPM and the volume of that sound doesn't scale with distance as much and as well as other modules do. The Harrier has the same issue: if there is a harrier or F-14 idling at the opposite side of the airport, you can hear it so loud that it covers pretty much any other aircraft's noise including your own, with canopy open.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s