[NO BUG] Performance in Persian Gulf

westr

Maybe not a bug with the module but something the team may be able to explain.

I find the PG map the most demanding for the F14. I have my settings as such that I can achieve a solid 45fps with VR, sometimes more as I have ASW disabled.

I get this easily with Nevada and Caucasus, and as long as if not flying in certain directions the PG as well.

Sounds strange but as soon as I fly my aircraft in a 90 degree direction in the PG around grid square GR my frames drop into early 30s and its unplayable.

As an experiment I placed the aircraft in grid square GR. Its not a populated area (far east of the map) so i'm actually achieving 90FPS, but as soon as I make my heading 90 degrees, its down to 31FPS even though there is nothing complex in that direction, no airfields etc its a non detailed area of the map.

I then placed my aircraft at grid square XN35 and found in this area a heading of 270 caused a frame drop to 31FPS.

Flying a heading of 270 in grid square WQ in the West of the map I also notice a frame drop. So it doesn't correspond with pointing in the direction of complex renderings, or static objects.

Maybe somebody else could explain if there is any settings I could try to solve this, I don't necessarily want to drop graphics settings any further as it seems to cope fine as long as im not pointing in certain directions.

Edited by IronMike

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

In non-VR I find Caucasus to be most demanding. PG is the least (unless I cruise through downtown Dubai). In comparison, at Anapa with zero aircraft I get around 45fps. With myself alone in an F-14 the frames tumble to 30. I get a steady 45 or so in PG.

After trying settings again it seems to be mirrors. Mirrors are affecting FPS by sometimes 60fps in PG. But on this occasion I put my graphics settings to absolute minimum. Even pixel density to 0.5 and it still was dropping from 90fps to 30’s when turining into the before mentioned directions.

Other maps are running fine.

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

Hmm i also seem to have problems with the F14 in VR at the Persian Gulf. Nevada and Caucasus is mostly fine, but in PG my frames drop by 15-20 FPS from 45 FPS....

i will try to see if it is only in specific areas?!

But i have to say that PG is generally more Frames-Heavy than the other maps for me....

Hmm i also seem to have problems with the F14 in VR at the Persian Gulf. Nevada and Caucasus is mostly fine, but in PG my frames drop by 15-20 FPS from 45 FPS....

i will try to see if it is only in specific areas?!

But i have to say that PG is generally more Frames-Heavy than the other maps for me....

Thanks for sharing. It’s been driving me nuts and I’ve been looking to see if I have something set specific to my pc that is causing the issue but just can’t find anything. When I set the FPS indicator in DCS where you can see all the mirrors: shadows: etc draw on the pc I notice that when turning into the problematic headings the mirrors figure jumps significantly 6-7 for example. Otherwise it’s much lower. And this figure is much lower in the other maps.

Yes if I have my settings as I normally do I get mostly 45fps and it drops by 15-20fps same as you. It was only when I had my settings so low to test that I was dropping from the 90s to the 30s.

Edited by westr

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

Mirrors are a huge FPS drop. They look cool but I leave them off mostly. This isn’t limited to the Tomcat but it seems especially bad, perhaps because the Tomcats mirrors are simulated so well!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Mirrors are a huge FPS drop. They look cool but I leave them off mostly. This isn’t limited to the Tomcat but it seems especially bad, perhaps because the Tomcats mirrors are simulated so well!

Yeah accepted but my point is it’s not an issue on any of the maps for me apart from the Persian gulf. And even then not all areas. And looking in directions on the map where there is non populated areas.

Plus to drop 60fps in one instance because of enabling mirrors is that normal? I’m not necessarily pointing the finger at the module I love the module and am it’s biggest fan, im fortunate I can enjoy it on the other maps. I accept its possible it could be something with my system and would love any advice.

But when comparing maps on the FPS indicator. Mirrors: goes up to about 3.0 and I maintain 45fps other maps on PG Mirrors: 6.5-7.0 and frames drop into the 20s-30s

Is it possible the PG map could be optimised like the other maps regarding this?

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

pg is the best optimized in my oppinion ( l dont have vr )

rx 480 ryze5 2600x everything high exept SSAO. locked at 60 fps

Yeah I’m talking about VR. And the figures recorded and relating to VR when in comparison between maps.

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

In my experience, VR, the map performance is as follows:

- unrelated to aircraft.

1. Nevada (even low over Las Vegas, runs smooth)

2. Caucasus

3. PG

4. Normandy

PG also being the most memory hungry of the lot, so around there my system swaps large chunks of data around, when I like you describe, do 90 degree turns, or 180 etc. Then my fps lock at 30 (from 45) and stay there for quite a bit of time, until what ever data was replaced in memory. It happens in all modules, but the F-14 seems to be the hardest hitter here, along with the F-18.

Even on monitor I can see PG eats a lot more memory than the other maps, so isnt just a VR thing.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

In my experience, VR, the map performance is as follows:

- unrelated to aircraft.

1. Nevada (even low over Las Vegas, runs smooth)

2. Caucasus

3. PG

4. Normandy

PG also being the most memory hungry of the lot, so around there my system swaps large chunks of data around, when I like you describe, do 90 degree turns, or 180 etc. Then my fps lock at 30 (from 45) and stay there for quite a bit of time, until what ever data was replaced in memory. It happens in all modules, but the F-14 seems to be the hardest hitter here, along with the F-18.

Even on monitor I can see PG eats a lot more memory than the other maps, so isnt just a VR thing.

When you experience drops to around 30FPS does it still feel smooth enough to play? For example there are times when my frames have dropped into the 30 in the Normandy map with the P-51 but were it not for the FPS indicator I wouldn't know.

But on this occasion with the F-14 in PG it drops into the 30s but it really stutters and is not smooth at all even though im reading 30fps.

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

I have noticed same issue - performance on PG map is worse after the release of the DCS version with F-14. It seems to be not issue with Tom Cat module, but rather DCS version, since the FPS drop is the same, no matter what I fly with. And strange is that it is noticeable in non urban areas..

O.

Yeah accepted but my point is it’s not an issue on any of the maps for me apart from the Persian gulf. And even then not all areas. And looking in directions on the map where there is non populated areas.

Plus to drop 60fps in one instance because of enabling mirrors is that normal? I’m not necessarily pointing the finger at the module I love the module and am it’s biggest fan, im fortunate I can enjoy it on the other maps. I accept its possible it could be something with my system and would love any advice.

But when comparing maps on the FPS indicator. Mirrors: goes up to about 3.0 and I maintain 45fps other maps on PG Mirrors: 6.5-7.0 and frames drop into the 20s-30s

Is it possible the PG map could be optimised like the other maps regarding this?

That does seem a bit excessive, but I’m so used to mirrors dropping FPS that I don’t think much about it.

I go from 45 to 20-30 in PG when I turns mirrors on in the Tomcat.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I have noticed same issue - performance on PG map is worse after the release of the DCS version with F-14. It seems to be not issue with Tom Cat module, but rather DCS version, since the FPS drop is the same, no matter what I fly with. And strange is that it is noticeable in non urban areas..

O.

That's interesting I shall try the hornet, and a few other modules.

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

What I find weird is that mirrors on or off does nothing for me. Fps is 45 in vr with all my modules except the f14 which is fairly consrant at 31 fps, again mirrors on or off, doesn't matter.

And I do not have a monster pc, i7 6850 oc'ed to 4.3, 16gb ram and 1070.

Edited by RedeyeStorm
Spelling

so after trying all other modules I have noticed the Viggen does the same as the F14 in the PG with Mirrors going up to 7.9 - 8.0

all other modules the figure is significantly lower 1-2s.

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

• 3 weeks later...

After having this problem bugging me for ages, I tried something today and if it helps someone else then its worth sharing. Some time back on my previous rig I removed Nvidia Geforce Experience and felt it eliminated some of the stuttering I had been suffering.

Since building my new rig I have used Geforce experience as I find it helpful to keep my Nvidia drivers up-to-date. But with this 15fps frame drop on the PG map, (admittedly only with my heatblur modules) I decided to remove it from my PC and bam, no longer do I have this 15fps drop and I maintain 45fps in VR with the mirrors on.

Don't understand why this has happened and cant guarantee it will help everybody who uses the software but if you have Geforce Experience installed its worth looking into this. Im sure with this update coming from ED and an apparent 50% improvement things will get better as well for us VR users.

But anyway I hope it helps someone.

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

I'm glad for you that you solved your problem. What update with an apparent 50% improvement you mean ?

[...] Im sure with this update coming from ED and an apparent 50% improvement things will get better as well for us VR users.

But anyway I hope it helps someone.

The low frames ain't a Tomcat problem, but this thread definately should be tagged [DCS BUG] IMVHO... the ball clearly is at ED's here.

I had more than twice of that (usually in the 75-80fps range at that spot) before the Tomcat has been released, but the performance drops are completely unrelated to the Tomcat itself.

And just to have it mentioned, the Caucasus is even worse and I stopped flying there because of this.

1133249162_DCS2019-03-1622-45-29-49.thumb.jpg.d41afb9235d0941927d0c20674fe27d7.jpg

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Maybe that is the ED Master Plan..make performance 48% worse....so they can then 'improve performance by 50%' with this new optimisation!

I know - so cynical :renske:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just another little tip for anyone using a Ryzen cpu. I disabled simultaneous multithreading and noticed a performance boost in DCS with VR. I use a software that came with my board, it’s quite good in that I can also increase voltage and overclock my cpu. But only need to with a click of the mouse when I play DCS.

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO